Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

sitting on your board - easy, or am I uncoordinated?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
tkaraszewski
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Hood River/Caribbean
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Ozone/Levitaz
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: sitting on your board - easy, or am I uncoordinated?

Postby tkaraszewski » Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:36 pm

Janus wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:15 pm
tkaraszewski wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:21 pm
I grew up surfing, so I don't think it's that hard, but on a small foil board, you do need to be balanced in the right spot. It's easier on bigger boards.
sitting still and waiting for waves to come is IMHO a total other thing than keeping your balance and trying to wind up your lines and getting pulled by the kite or trying to order the kite for a restart.. 8)
It’s harder, but if you’re already good at doing it on a shortboard, you’ve got part of the skill set.

papasmerf
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Weight: 195
Local Beach: west coast
Style: lawn mower
Gear: Slingshot, North, moses, flysurfers, some ozone again, and 17 years of accumulated kite stuff
Brand Affiliation: I like slingshot and north. good folks

Postby papasmerf » Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:54 pm

Good to know I am not alone. Thanks for responses.

borist
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby borist » Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:50 am

practice, practice, practice. larger volume front wings make it harder especially in big chop or swell. had the same thing happen to me, broke slider rope and had to jury rig it in 1.5m wind swell. Can't imagine I would have succeeded if I was not able to sit on the board and use both hands. takes time to master but now I can sit on TT style foil board with almost zero volume, up to my neck in water and keep both hands free. practice in flat water, less likely to get hurt

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:31 am

tkaraszewski wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:36 pm
Janus wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:15 pm
tkaraszewski wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:21 pm
I grew up surfing, so I don't think it's that hard, but on a small foil board, you do need to be balanced in the right spot. It's easier on bigger boards.
sitting still and waiting for waves to come is IMHO a total other thing than keeping your balance and trying to wind up your lines and getting pulled by the kite or trying to order the kite for a restart.. 8)
It’s harder, but if you’re already good at doing it on a shortboard, you’ve got part of the skill set.

Agree, it comes pretty fast, the ability to sit on any board and balance, while you relaunch your kite or wind your lines up :thumb:

But if not used to it at all, a challenge indeed.

Many come from surfing, so natural for us.

8) Peter
These users thanked the author Peter_Frank for the post:
papasmerf (Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:38 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

papasmerf
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Weight: 195
Local Beach: west coast
Style: lawn mower
Gear: Slingshot, North, moses, flysurfers, some ozone again, and 17 years of accumulated kite stuff
Brand Affiliation: I like slingshot and north. good folks

Postby papasmerf » Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:38 pm

borist wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:50 am
practice, practice, practice. larger volume front wings make it harder especially in big chop or swell. had the same thing happen to me, broke slider rope and had to jury rig it in 1.5m wind swell. Can't imagine I would have succeeded if I was not able to sit on the board and use both hands. takes time to master but now I can sit on TT style foil board with almost zero volume, up to my neck in water and keep both hands free. practice in flat water, less likely to get hurt
i later thought of some ways to jury rig back to shore but was not so lucky out on the lake,, wound up have a "learning" lesson,, costing me a precious hour of kiting time! i will practice!

Return to “Hydrofoil”