Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: how to "surf" wind waves on inland lake

Postby Slappysan » Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:44 am

papasmerf wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:18 pm
have you tried catching any waves off the cargo ships?
The tankers just park there, no real waves generated in the bay, I'd have to go out in to the straight to where they go fast enough to kick up a decent wake.

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:56 am

LeoLeal wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:49 pm

This moses 790 fits this specifications?
The 633 is more like what I’m talking about.

junebug
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 195 lbs
Style: Freeride Twintip, Strapless Foil
Gear: Rebels (6m, 8m, 11m, 13m)
Nobile NHP
Boxers (3.5m, 4m, 5m, 7m, 10m, 12m) (flat water)
Peak4s (3m, 4m, 5m, 6m) (waves)
Lift 150 v1 Surf front / 38 back (flat water)
Lift 170 v1 Surf front / 26 back (waves)

Postby junebug » Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:01 pm

Flyboy wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:54 pm

I agree. The question is, what does "surfing" really mean when it comes to foiling? Riding on the wave in the direction of the wave - "longboard style" - is not very exciting. It's what I see happening in a lot of winging videos: use the wing to get on the wave face & then ride along with the wave with the wing totally depowered. OK - that's "surfing" but it doesn't strike me as particularly interesting (disclaimer: I know it's possible to do other stuff with a wing).

To me, this video represents the pinnacle of kite foil wave riding:

Moderate sized, long, perfectly formed waves with the kite providing little spikes of power at strategic moments. It may not be as dramatic or athletic as surfing Pipelne, but it's perfect for what I aspire to. Unfortunately, we never have conditions like that at my home spots, so I content myself with something a bit more modest.

However, the same principles apply: using the glide of the wing to maximize the potential of the swell & using the kite to provide little inputs of power when needed. The use of inputs from the kite doesn't make it "less surfing" in a negative way, it makes it possible to use what's available more effectively. :thumb:
Well said. This is what I aspire to also. We rarely get conditions that perfect where I live (SE USA), but the great thing about kitefoiling is that you don't need conditions to be that perfect to have a lot of fun. I'm having a blast in knee-high rollers and practically giddy at anything thigh high or bigger.
Last edited by junebug on Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster

Postby jumptheshark » Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:39 pm

Big fall days at the beach and associated points are the best we get. They are the highlight of my year.

Everything else is practice.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:01 pm

jumptheshark wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:39 pm
Big fall days at the beach and associated points are the best we get. They are the highlight of my year.

Everything else is practice.
I don't know if I would agree with that. 15 knot summer days with a modest rolling swell are sublime! It's what is transformational about foiling. Yeah - what we get on the Great Lakes on windy fall days is nice, but nothing like the predictable, endlessly rolling break at Kanaha.

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster

Postby jumptheshark » Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:13 pm

Oh for sure. Those great days are like hens teeth, thats why they are the highlight.

15 is sublime, but the waves at a steady 25 are a whole other sport.

Not many around here have the chops to foil in it.

Definitely takes practice.

Lots and lots of practice.

papasmerf
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Weight: 195
Local Beach: west coast
Style: lawn mower
Gear: Slingshot, North, moses, flysurfers, some ozone again, and 17 years of accumulated kite stuff
Brand Affiliation: I like slingshot and north. good folks

Postby papasmerf » Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:21 am

Kamikuza wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:25 pm
papasmerf wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:32 pm
been trying to "surf" the windwaves at my local spot. they are usually 1-3 ft tall, not sure what speed they are traveling at,,, i will go straight downwind doing carving turns but i seem to be way outrunning the waves, like i can start a carving toeside turn on the inside of a wind wave, i can feel it boost me, and i start going "downhill" a bit, and then i will carve thru the wave in front of it and sometimes the next one. maybe on small waves it is impossible to carve that tight to stay on it? about 3/4 of the way thru the carve i lose speed and sort of need a little help from kite,,, but my goal is to not use the kite but the waves only. using a north sonar 1150 and 7m hyperlink. the hyperlink works pretty good for drift and shutting off power. these aren't waves like at the gorge,, defintely smaller. would a more glide oriented foil work better? then i could glide further out from the wave without losing speed, and then cut back and catch it again? no surf background for me, btw. of course, these wind waves aren't like a long connected same wave,, they do tend to disappear lengthwise,, maybe that is problem. any advice?
No surf background here either.

You don't say what direction the wind is going relative to the waves... on our lake waves tend to move down wind or slightly cross, so I've never experienced "down the line" riding. But even so, you can get on a "wave" and ride it for ages -- so long as you don't try cutting back and forth.

If carving around is your thing: You can slow right down and just sit on top of the barrel, noodling back n' forth. Which isn't very exciting I guess :D

Or carve aggressively back n' forth, aiming to get all the way back around on to the barrel again. The lighter the wind, the smaller the wave, the more you need to aggressively work the kite side to side to keep a bit of pull across the window...

That's my 2 cents anyway.
The waves go pretty much straight down wind with the wind direction

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:35 am

papasmerf wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:21 am
Yeah same here. Sucks when the wind is really light. Got to keep board speed up across the "face" and cut back n' forth with a small radius. Allow a little bit of riding the wave downwind in a zig-zag, but there's more kite work involved.

Going to an actual beach with actual waves is a bit of an adjustment too :D
These users thanked the author Kamikuza for the post:
papasmerf (Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:15 am)
Rating: 3.03%

papasmerf
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Weight: 195
Local Beach: west coast
Style: lawn mower
Gear: Slingshot, North, moses, flysurfers, some ozone again, and 17 years of accumulated kite stuff
Brand Affiliation: I like slingshot and north. good folks

Postby papasmerf » Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:20 am

Kamikuza wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:35 am
papasmerf wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:21 am
Yeah same here. Sucks when the wind is really light. Got to keep board speed up across the "face" and cut back n' forth with a small radius. Allow a little bit of riding the wave downwind in a zig-zag, but there's more kite work involved.

Going to an actual beach with actual waves is a bit of an adjustment too :D
i have found it harder in light wind as well.

when i first started kiteboarding, many years ago,,, i was only on a inland lake. so i decide to go to pismo, i think during one of the first pismo kite expo's,, and i got my ass handed to me. after getting pounded into mush by the stupid break, i made it out and found myself in some huge swell, i couldn't even see the beach. very intimidating. and freaking cold water!

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:20 am

papasmerf wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:20 am
i have found it harder in light wind as well.

when i first started kiteboarding, many years ago,,, i was only on a inland lake. so i decide to go to pismo, i think during one of the first pismo kite expo's,, and i got my ass handed to me. after getting pounded into mush by the stupid break, i made it out and found myself in some huge swell, i couldn't even see the beach. very intimidating. and freaking cold water!
Yeah same. We used to get swell on the lake beach big enough to body surf on, but the bottom has gradually flattened out now so it doesn't seem to build up like that any more. The ocean beaches near here are much the same, so long low rollers...maybe head high at best. You get used to that pretty quick too.

Then I went back home and went to a proper beach :lol: you head out into the waves and they rear up at you and blot out the sky.

Gotta have your chicken gybes dialed in tight or you're in for an interesting ride :lol:

Return to “Hydrofoil”