Kiting since: 2003
Favorite Beaches: Kanaha
Style: Surf/hydrofoil
Gear: North Monos, F-One Wings, Lift Foils
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Lift 2021

Postby Just Passing Through » Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:52 am

"This is all with a 50 tail. I'll try a 40 tail soon."

Go right to the 34 tail. You won't be disappinted. I run a modified 200 Classic with the 34 tail for kiting. Great in any wind and spins around with ease.

From comparing the 200 Classic to the 200 Surf V1. The Surf V1 seemed to have a thicker foil section and more turn-down on the tips. More lift but reduced top speed.

Your mileage may vary. It all depends on what your riding style is. I have buddies that can't ride my foil set-up, but love tiny high aspect wings...

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:32 am

And what are the sizes of these wings and tails in cm2?

Remember this is a worldwide forum, and many brands are not present in many regions, so without the area as a rough indication, we have no idea what we are talking about.

Other parameters like AR and profile are just as important, but not as easy.

Whereas the surface area is plain simple and give you a good idea of size :thumb:

8) Peter

SMJ
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2040
Gear: Cabrimha, Core, Flysurfer, Carved, Naish, Duotone, Ocean Rodeo, Slingshot, Liquid Force, Lift, Spleene, Mystic, ION.

Postby SMJ » Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:11 am

Peter_Frank wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:32 am
Google "square inches to square centimeters" and the converter will pop up. Then enter in the Lift wing size. Per the converter, the 200 wing is approximately 1290 cm2.

geokite
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Silver Strand, Mission Bay
Favorite Beaches: Sherman, Belmont
Style: Surf, Foil
Gear: Avoid the Triton foil board, made by Newind!

B: [Firewire SP, Kanaha MM, Triton] F: [Lift, Triton, Axis] K: [Kitech, Gin]

Postby geokite » Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:56 pm

Just Passing Through wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:52 am
"This is all with a 50 tail. I'll try a 40 tail soon."

Go right to the 34 tail. You won't be disappinted. I run a modified 200 Classic with the 34 tail for kiting. Great in any wind and spins around with ease.

From comparing the 200 Classic to the 200 Surf V1. The Surf V1 seemed to have a thicker foil section and more turn-down on the tips. More lift but reduced top speed.

Your mileage may vary. It all depends on what your riding style is. I have buddies that can't ride my foil set-up, but love tiny high aspect wings...
I had the 34 tail for a while, used it with a Surf 170, sold the tail. With all the water reflections from boat wakes in the bay I kite in, I needed more stability.
The newer tails, with the longer fuselage, but be a nice mix, but I don't see how the cover that came with the original wing will fit a longer fuselage.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:47 pm

SMJ wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:11 am
Peter_Frank wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:32 am
Google "square inches to square centimeters" and the converter will pop up. Then enter in the Lift wing size. Per the converter, the 200 wing is approximately 1290 cm2.

Sorry, but no, my point was, area is, in lack of a better parameter, the best indication of size we got.

And you say it is square inch for Lift foils?

That was my whole point - nobody knows, except maybe those riding these foils.
Or if you waste a hell'uva time googling...

Instead, I can only advice to write the area, or simply the unit behind if the name IS the area - then there is no doubt.

It would be a very nice gesture to other readers :thumb:

A 40 stab can be a stab 40 cm in span, area unknown, but apparently it is a 40 square inch for the Lift tails, meaning area is 258 cm2 and span/AR not given by this number.

Say a Moses 633, it is NOT 633 square inch, nor square cm, but it is the span in mm.

For tail wings it can be confusing, as it can be the span in cm or the area in square inch - and for these the profile doesnt mean much, so area and to a lesser extent AR, means everything here.

8) Peter

SMJ
Frequent Poster
Gear: Cabrimha, Core, Flysurfer, Carved, Naish, Duotone, Ocean Rodeo, Slingshot, Liquid Force, Lift, Spleene, Mystic, ION.

Postby SMJ » Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:59 am

Peter_Frank wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:47 pm
Sorry, but no, my point was, area is, in lack of a better parameter, the best indication of size we got.

And you say it is square inch for Lift foils?
Hi Peter,
So what you're saying is you don't trust the Lift catalog? Check out page 19 of this catalog (or open up the PDF and do a search for "inches"):
https://liftfoils.com/wp-content/upload ... igital.pdf

I own a bunch of Lift wings, so I'll measure a couple for ya by running a piece of string around the perimeter and then squaring off a box & measuring it when I have some free time.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:23 am

I am saying posters are nice if they write the area or units of the wings, so most readers don't have to google :D

There are so many brands not seen or known around the world.

Even the Onda 633 was unknown for a time, when it came, as it is span in millimeters.
Now most knows it is a 1200 cm2 wing.

But can be more difficult with stabs, as some call them S M L or similar, others use the span.

Thus one is kind to other readers, putting the area in the posts :D

8) Peter

junebug
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 195 lbs
Style: Freeride Twintip, Strapless Foil
Gear: Rebels (6m, 8m, 11m, 13m)
Nobile NHP
Boxers (3.5m, 4m, 5m, 7m, 10m, 12m) (flat water)
Peak4s (3m, 4m, 5m, 6m) (waves)
Lift 150 v1 Surf front / 38 back (flat water)
Lift 170 v1 Surf front / 26 back (waves)

Postby junebug » Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:24 pm

What is the benefit of the high aspect front wing vs the older classic lineup?

SMJ
Frequent Poster

Postby SMJ » Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:52 pm

junebug wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:24 pm
junebug,
Picture it like airplanes - fighter jet vs. glider where the V1 Surf wings (and Classic wings) are the fighter jets and the high aspect wings are the gliders.

The HA front wings give more glide, less drag, and are much more efficient. The HA wings sacrifice maneuverability (i.e. banking tight turns) and stability (i.e. you probably wouldn't put a first-timer on a HA wing - unless you're a big meanie). The HA wings are more efficient for pumping as well.

For eFoil, I like to ride my 200 V1 Surf wing with 50 rear stabilizer (which is very similar to the 200 Classic) in the ocean, since it's more stable and I can bank turns over waves and swells with more confidence. But a lot of people like to ride the HA wings for riding ocean swells and gliding / pumping.

I like to ride my 200 HA with 50 rear stabilizer in back bays and canals where the water is flat. The HA wing adds 20% - 30% battery life, since it's so efficient. I also like riding the 170 Classic in back bays and canals when I want to ride faster.

Caveat: I seem to change my preferences monthly, so all of the above preferences may change! But the principles are still the same.

Note: The V2 Surf Wing that Lift released in 2021 is more high aspect than the V1 Surf. I have yet to ride one, but the V2 Surf looks like it's somewhere in between the Classic series and the HA series as far as aspect ratio.
Last edited by SMJ on Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author SMJ for the post:
junebug (Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:20 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

junebug
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 195 lbs
Style: Freeride Twintip, Strapless Foil
Gear: Rebels (6m, 8m, 11m, 13m)
Nobile NHP
Boxers (3.5m, 4m, 5m, 7m, 10m, 12m) (flat water)
Peak4s (3m, 4m, 5m, 6m) (waves)
Lift 150 v1 Surf front / 38 back (flat water)
Lift 170 v1 Surf front / 26 back (waves)

Postby junebug » Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:27 pm

SMJ wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:52 pm
junebug wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:24 pm
junebug,
Picture it like airplanes - fighter jet vs. glider where the V1 Surf wings (and Classic wings) are the fighter jets and the high aspect wings are the gliders.

The HA front wings give more glide, less drag, and are much more efficient. The HA wings sacrifice maneuverability (i.e. banking tight turns) and stability (i.e. you probably wouldn't put a first-timer on a HA wing - unless you're a big meanie). The HA wings are more efficient for pumping as well.

Personally, I like to ride my 200 V1 Surf wing with 50 rear stabilizer (which is very similar to the 200 Classic) in the ocean, since it's more stable and I can bank turns over waves and swells with more confidence. But a lot of people like to ride the HA wings for riding ocean swells and gliding / pumping.

I like to ride my 200 HA with 50 rear stabilizer in back bays and canals where the water is flat. The HA wing adds 20% - 30% battery life, since it's so efficient. I also like riding the 170 Classic in back bays and canals when I want to ride faster.

Caveat: I seem to change my preferences monthly, so all of the above preferences may change! But the principles are still the same.

Note: The V2 Surf Wing that Lift released in 2021 is more high aspect than the V1 Surf. I have yet to ride one, but the V2 Surf looks like it's somewhere in between the Classic series and the HA series as far as aspect ratio.
Thanks. I have only ridden the Classic wings, but it seems like fighter jets are better for kite foiling. I can see why you'd want efficiency for foil surfing or downwind winging, but I don't really care about efficiency with a kite. Particularly in waves, I just want to be able to turn as fast as possible.

Return to “Hydrofoil”