Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Stitches and hydrofoils

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Re: Stitches and hydrofoils

Postby longwhitecloud » Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:02 am

tkaraszewski wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:07 pm
Mike's Lab + my foot the other day:

It's not really that bad, I didn't get stitches, but I'm also not too worried about scars on my ankle.
$5 steri strips for shallow chops. Heals quicker.

Have had friends just use regular $2 superglue too lol!.. it works. Havnt indulged myself in the $2 one ? (F#$$ that!) but have used medical superglue a few times and it worked out great.

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby jakemoore » Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:25 am

I got popped right between the edge of my helmet and sunglasses. Used the $2 superglue. It came out great.

deniska
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Plumb Beach
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Gear: FS, Core

Postby deniska » Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:35 am

File_000.jpeg
100% hydrofoil related..
I dont' see how I would have gotten it on TT..
Basically, I stepped on something in knee-deep water while trying to walk to foilable depths.
At first, did not pay much attention to it but after a few tacks I noticed the board deck was all red from blood..
I scared a few folks on the parking lot with a trail of blood.. they probably thought I had a gun wound..

richy-c
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Gear: Ozone Moses Shinn Best

Postby richy-c » Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:21 am

purdyd wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:24 pm
I can assure you these do work. Slide them under your wetsuit. Shin and/or forearm. As far as I can tell my reaction is to block with my shin and forearm when something comes at me. I protect my body and head by instinct.

I admit I don’t wear them on my forearms anymore but I’d do go through a spell with two nice marks on my arm, I will protect my head with my outside of my forearm. Which is a lot better than getting the board or foil in the face.

For some it might be their feet that needs protecting or body

F6E2664C-D7F8-4889-940E-DCF3B61491CC.jpeg
Im using the same 🤙. They do work well 👍 My wetsuit by the shinn is full of cuts so i know the foils scraping me just not hurting me now ive got pads.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:57 am

Local guy cut his forehead down to the bone recently. Quite the picture on Facebook :lol:

Topaz
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 150
Local Beach: South Florida
Gear: Cabrinha / North-Duotone

Postby Topaz » Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:37 pm

purdyd wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:24 pm
I can assure you these do work. Slide them under your wetsuit. Shin and/or forearm. As far as I can tell my reaction is to block with my shin and forearm when something comes at me. I protect my body and head by instinct.

I admit I don’t wear them on my forearms anymore but I’d do go through a spell with two nice marks on my arm, I will protect my head with my outside of my forearm. Which is a lot better than getting the board or foil in the face.

For some it might be their feet that needs protecting or body

F6E2664C-D7F8-4889-940E-DCF3B61491CC.jpeg
LOL Those work great! I've used them for some time after I landed really bad with my shins on the edge of the board. I couldn't walk well for a week. Then, after some time of having no accidents it stopped using them.

revhed
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: france
Gear: kites

Postby revhed » Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:22 pm

I always wear booties not just for warmth in winter but for protection year round.
Added benefits, fish near shore line that have 3 vert barbs that hurt like hell if you walk on them, glass hidden just under sand, sea seashells sharp side up encountered when kite pulls,
and really like the slight texture on the sole in contact with pad less foil board.
I have kicked my foil a few times and was happy to have booties.
B T W it is NOT needed to have razor sharp T Es!
R H

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:30 am

There is always a bigger risk since foiling, indeed.

I have had my shorty cut once, in the early years - but lucky not into the flesh.

Besides having kicked on my own foil a few times when learning ha haa - pretty normal it seems.

But been lucky no cuts or anything, and nothing since the learning years :rollgrin:

I wonder with those of you using shoes and helmets and shinn guards or similar - do you never ride on sunny days in shorts (and a small harness) only?

Where you dont want all this extra stuff :naughty:

8) Peter

Grizwald
Medium Poster
Weight: 72 kg
Gear: none

Postby Grizwald » Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:21 pm

The difference between medical superglue and regular superglue is about $50 or $100 if you are in the U.S. There is a buffering agent so it doesn't burn when applied but that is about it. The most important thing is not to get it into the wound just on the surface AFTER you have made sure the wound is clean. Suturing (stitches) an unclean wound is a recipe for disaster --losing limb, long term IV antibiotics in hospital level of disaster. If you really out in the woods, a wound can be cleaned with booze, even beer will work. If there is any doubt that the wound isn't clean don't close it until you are sure it is clean. Bleeding a bit will help clean it out. Never put plastic (occlusive dressings) over a wound unless it is temporary to get you across the sand. Most seawater is pretty safe (fresh water less so ) unless you are downstream from a sewage outflow. Again if you are really desperate several stands of dental floss can be placed over the wound one side glued the tissue pulled together than the other side glued. This way you are not occluding the airflow and when you get to medical help they can just cut the dental floss to get a look in the wound.
These users thanked the author Grizwald for the post:
rjkritzer (Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:23 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:24 am

deniska wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:35 am
100% hydrofoil related..
I dont' see how I would have gotten it on TT..
Basically, I stepped on something in knee-deep water while trying to walk to foilable depths.
At first, did not pay much attention to it but after a few tacks I noticed the board deck was all red from blood..
I scared a few folks on the parking lot with a trail of blood.. they probably thought I had a gun wound..
I got dragged through the shallows after botching a stylish transition, and cut the back of my hand open. Bled like a stuck pig, and still have a big red scar over a year later.

100% TT related :lol:

Return to “Hydrofoil”