leeuwen
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Anything in NL
Style: Foiling around
Gear: KauperXT 11M Falcon
Ocean Rodeo aluula roam 10m / HL Crave 8m/6m
Slingshot ghost 4M
Sabfoil 1350L,633,699,671/ 83-103 kraken mast / Groove Skate L + Radical / Sabfoil T35
Lieuwe Shotgun
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Advise on using Cabrinha Drifter for light wind kite foiling

Postby leeuwen » Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:53 pm

I would recommend going out whenever the kite can relaunch easily. Probably somewhere between 12 and 16 knots.
In the beginning you will prefer more power but for most people that will rapidly turn around to less power.

Regarding kite size: it might depend a bit on the type/size of the foil but I think a 10m will get you down to 11 knots without much problems once you can ride. Probably still good to 15 knots but it depends a bit on how powered you like to be on the foil. For me it would be at the upper end of what I like (it’s certainly possible to ride with lots of power but many foilers prefer small kites, low power. IMHO It makes the session more playful since you can throw your kite around without worrying about getting yanked of the board. A smaller kite is also safer especially with the foil itself already trying to kill you)

1234567Simon
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Local Beach: Netherland‘s beaches,
Favorite Beaches: Ijmuiden on NW
Gear: Wave Board, Wave Kites, foiling. But Plan to get Back to Twin Tip boosting

Postby 1234567Simon » Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:26 pm

You have 12 and 9 switchblade?

As soon as the Switchblade is staying in the air STABLE just go foiling. You know the kite and that’s important.

If you are willing to buy a extra kite for foiling starting at 8kn buy any single strut.
If you target wind starting from 12 knots anything will stay in the air and work more or less.

Single strut will fly way different than switchblade, so you can also take any other brand.

Just my oppinion.

vakiter
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Chesapeake bay
Style: surfboard +foil
Gear: misc. flites, edge, peak, reo, pivot,kahoona, sst.

Postby vakiter » Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:30 am

im close to your weight , and i learned hydrofoil on sb11m. its piggy, and heavy on the bar, but did the job.

i switched to OR flites and they are better, they are lighter and hav elighter bar pressure, which i really like on foil.
i have a ozone reo (surf kite) i use on foil sometimes . its also great. super light.
i had a 15m LF solo. hated it. really slow , not that light. POS.

i bet drifter is good. but no need to be brand limited. good deals on many brands.

another key to stretching the low end is long lines. or line extensions.

foiling is awesome, it probably 5xd my sessions.

peppedurso
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Sicily / Cape Town
Style: Wave Riding and Freestyle Strapless
Gear: Cabrinha Drifters
Appletree Malus Domestica 4'11 / Luke's Leaf 4'9 / Appleflap noseless 5'1
Brand Affiliation: Appletree/Cabrinha

Postby peppedurso » Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:26 pm

I would consider the new Contra 1 strut, 9m weight 2,2kg apparently. Very wide wind range with amazing low end.

bragnouff
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: New Brighton
Gear: Boards: Alkita boards
Zeeko Slash/AirWave/Scrambler
Amundson Johno
Foils: Spitfire XLW/ XXLW. GoFoil NL130/160/190
Kites: FS Peaks
HB Legion
Wings:Zeeko Carve
HB Flair/Guide...
Brand Affiliation: GK enthusiast / Zeeko & HB Pimp

Postby bragnouff » Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:31 am

leeuwen wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:13 pm

If the bar is the reason to stick with cabrinha:
(...)
Then, this is a very BAD reason... There are plenty of examples scattered around here of them failing left and right, hidden wear, etc, So, no, it's not a valid reason.

Anyway, back to the point, since you're not aiming to push the low end to the limits, Drifters will work fine. Plenty of friends have used them for foiling in light(ish) winds, and use them on surfboards once the wind is stronger, and it's a very sensible combo. Same is true with any light 3 strut wave kite. Ozone Reos or Enduros, HB Legion, F-One Bandits, to name a few...

After a few years of foiling, you might find yourself attracted to more specific aspects of the discipline, maybe racing, ultra light winds, or freeride/wave, and then you could go for more specialized kites that will help you push further in those directions. As far as I'm concerned, I'm a good believer in dual purpose kites in the quiver, for instance foil/surf with light 3 strutters and foil/snowkite/buggy with the Peaks. That means you spend more time flying those kites in different conditions, and flying and handling becomes second nature. It also adds a lot of versatility when traveling.
These users thanked the author bragnouff for the post:
Kamikuza (Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:03 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Eduardo
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Favorite Beaches: Anywhere with a left break
Style: waves and foiling (X big-air junkie)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo and Cabrinha kites. North and Slingshot boards. Lift foils.

Postby Eduardo » Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:01 am

one more comment: relaunch is zero factor for me buying a kite for foiling. For me, the key is a kite that will stay in the air and not need to be relaunched. If the kite is in the water and the wind is super light and you are in deep water usually drifting down wind, forget it anyway. you are swimming. one of the benefits of the lighter kites is to minimize the chance this happens. But all of these issues are only when you are pushing the low end which might still be a couple seasons away depending on how often you kite.

Cab Driver
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby Cab Driver » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:35 pm

espana23 wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:57 am
Hi all,

I would like to get your advise on the below.

I have been kitesurfing since 2017 and have been using a TT ever since. My current kites are Switchblade 12m and 9m. I currently kitesurf when the wind is 16+ knots and would like to increase my number of days on the water by being able to kite when the wind is 11-15 knots. Kite foiling always looked appealing to me and would like to do that. I will be buying used equipment (board/foil and kite) no older than 3-4 years but would like to stick to the Cabrinha brand for the kite since I like the brand and also have the Overdrive X1 recoil bar that would like to use with the kite. I am considering the Drifter based on research I have done (I am aware of the new 1strut Contra but as I said I want to buy used equipment). For the wind range of 11-15 knots that I am interested, what size of the Drifter would you recommend (I weigh 76Kg/167lbs)? Also, my approach will be to learn to kite foil with my 9m Switchblade when the wind is 16-18 knots, and once I get comfortable on that, then start using the Drifter when the wind is 11-15 knots. Does this approach make sense, or is there a better way to do this?

Thanks.

-Mike
I ride the 9m Drifter in that wind. No problems. I weigh 85kg / 185lbs. The Drifter is amazing on the foil, and of course on a surfboard.
These users thanked the author Cab Driver for the post:
HugoMC (Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:00 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

HugoMC
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Dolly
Style: Freeride
Gear: Gaastra Pure :)

Postby HugoMC » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:07 pm

If you aren't looking for serious performance on the TT you could switch to the drifter from the switchy. Go 12 and 9m drifters and sell the switchblades👍 I ride them in surfboard, foil and TT 👍

As someone mentioned above I wouldn't stay with Cab just for the bar. Although the 2020 bar is very nice. They have there flaws... They have a tendency to not flag out unless under considerable force and you can wear the safety with noticing.

espana23
Medium Poster
Gear: NA

Postby espana23 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:14 am

Cab Driver wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:35 pm
espana23 wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:57 am
Hi all,

I would like to get your advise on the below.

I have been kitesurfing since 2017 and have been using a TT ever since. My current kites are Switchblade 12m and 9m. I currently kitesurf when the wind is 16+ knots and would like to increase my number of days on the water by being able to kite when the wind is 11-15 knots. Kite foiling always looked appealing to me and would like to do that. I will be buying used equipment (board/foil and kite) no older than 3-4 years but would like to stick to the Cabrinha brand for the kite since I like the brand and also have the Overdrive X1 recoil bar that would like to use with the kite. I am considering the Drifter based on research I have done (I am aware of the new 1strut Contra but as I said I want to buy used equipment). For the wind range of 11-15 knots that I am interested, what size of the Drifter would you recommend (I weigh 76Kg/167lbs)? Also, my approach will be to learn to kite foil with my 9m Switchblade when the wind is 16-18 knots, and once I get comfortable on that, then start using the Drifter when the wind is 11-15 knots. Does this approach make sense, or is there a better way to do this?

Thanks.

-Mike
I ride the 9m Drifter in that wind. No problems. I weigh 85kg / 185lbs. The Drifter is amazing on the foil, and of course on a surfboard.
What would you say is the true wind range of the 9m Drifter for foiling for someone that is getting into foiling and with my weight (without being too generous on the low end and high end)?

windfreak74
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 70 kg
Local Beach: la trinchera
Favorite Beaches: maule region
Style: weird style!
Gear: switch helium3 7m 2018
Crazyfly 115 x 44 Chill 2021
nobile 2hd 134x42 2018
Manta foil 2015/2018
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby windfreak74 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:14 pm

Espana23,
im about the same weight as you!,
i started with 7 meter kite on 20 knots then the 7m for 12 to 18 knots on 27m lines is my one kite quiver.you can get away with less with practice
a 9meter will do the fob but you wont feel confortable after 16 knots.

Return to “Hydrofoil”