A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
espana23
Medium Poster
Gear: NA
Brand Affiliation: None

Advise on using Cabrinha Drifter for light wind kite foiling

Postby espana23 » Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:57 am

Hi all,

I would like to get your advise on the below.

I have been kitesurfing since 2017 and have been using a TT ever since. My current kites are Switchblade 12m and 9m. I currently kitesurf when the wind is 16+ knots and would like to increase my number of days on the water by being able to kite when the wind is 11-15 knots. Kite foiling always looked appealing to me and would like to do that. I will be buying used equipment (board/foil and kite) no older than 3-4 years but would like to stick to the Cabrinha brand for the kite since I like the brand and also have the Overdrive X1 recoil bar that would like to use with the kite. I am considering the Drifter based on research I have done (I am aware of the new 1strut Contra but as I said I want to buy used equipment). For the wind range of 11-15 knots that I am interested, what size of the Drifter would you recommend (I weigh 76Kg/167lbs)? Also, my approach will be to learn to kite foil with my 9m Switchblade when the wind is 16-18 knots, and once I get comfortable on that, then start using the Drifter when the wind is 11-15 knots. Does this approach make sense, or is there a better way to do this?

Thanks.

-Mike

leeuwen
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Anything in NL
Style: Foiling around
Gear: KauperXT 11M Falcon
Ocean Rodeo aluula roam 10m / HL Crave 8m/6m/5m
Slingshot ghost 4M
Sabfoil 1350L,633,699,671/ 83-103 kraken mast / Groove Skate L + Radical / Sabfoil T35 / Microchip
Lieuwe Shotgun

Re: Advise on using Cabrinha Drifter for light wind kite foiling

Postby leeuwen » Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:13 pm

Hi Mike,

If the bar is the reason to stick with cabrinha:
AFAIK it’s a standard low V bar that will work with most brands (skip duotone and core)

For low wind foiling I would really recommend a single strut. It’s not impossible with more struts but it requires more skill to keep the kite flying. Exactly not what you want with learning.
Since the switchblade is a heavy 5 strut its also something I would avoid if possible. Just going downwind on the foil a bit can easily crash a heavy kite like that.

If you are in Europe and on a budget there are also cheap alternatives with very budget friendly direct sales kites: eg gong kites or kauper XT.
I don’t know if they ship outside of Europe though and/or if import duty’s would make it to expensive.

Another option would be an airrush Ultra old model year New or second hand. They make these quite a few years already so you might be able to find these cheap.
Maybe same for the Naish Boxer or Slingshot Ghost. Not sure if they are long enough on the Market to have really cheap options.

Dave_5280
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 78 kg
Favorite Beaches: Kanaha Beach Park, Maui, Hawaii, U.S.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Switchblades, Contras, CF Raptor TT. Ozone Frenzy foil kites with skis. Fixed bridle foil kites on handles with MBS landboard. Progression Sports videos.

Postby Dave_5280 » Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:44 pm

I’ve seen a lot of foilers on Maui but none riding Drifters, so I would consider other kites. Contra 3 struts, Moto, or AV8 in Cabrinha.

But if you are open to other brands there are a lot more possibilities - maybe just research them before you buy a Cab, so you confirm your decision.

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:55 pm

We have definitely heard from happy foilers using drifters on here, but even Cab is putting out a single strut this year. Sticking with a standard wave kite is simply behind the curve by a noticeable margin as more and more riders clue in to the absolute importance of overall kite weight when using them for freeride foiling.

Single strut kites would be my third choice for foiling, and a three strut wave kite a very distant fourth.

RomeUtah
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Tropical beaches of UT, snow and sand
Favorite Beaches: Rufus, LB, Pismo
Style: straight air to tomohawk
Gear: Best, Ozone, OR, Cab, Flysurfer, Tona board, SS boards, Cab boards, liquid force foil

Postby RomeUtah » Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:32 pm

Drifter will do fine, after learning graduate to a 9m kite for wind that low. I've seen lots of people in hood river on drifters foiling, i stick to the ozone enduro v1 (cause i got it cheap) and within my first year riding can ride sub 10 knts. If the kite can stay in the air, you can use it to foil honestly, and the faster the kite moves the more versatility you have with it on a foil

Eduardo
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Favorite Beaches: Anywhere with a left break
Style: waves and foiling (X big-air junkie)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo and Cabrinha kites. North and Slingshot boards. Lift foils.

Postby Eduardo » Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:43 pm

I learned to foil on a 9 drifter. It was fine and my favorite foiling kite until I got a little better and started pushing on the low end of wind. then the issues of needing a lighter kite become apparent. I eventually got an ocean rodeo roam (Aluula) and am extremely happy with it. It uses the same line setup as Cabrinha so no need for adapters and I wouldn't worry about crossing brands anyway as your foiling kite style will be very different than your TT kite style. The usual reason to stay with a brand is to have a consistent style/feel/sizing across your kites.

So short answer: drifter or any wave kite is fine if you have it already, but if you are purchasing 1 kite to foil, this wouldn't be my first choice.

purdyd
Very Frequent Poster

Postby purdyd » Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:54 pm

Drifters are perfectly fine for foiling.

I don’t think It would be my first choice if buying it only for foiling but it makes a great dual use surf and foil kite.

espana23
Medium Poster
Gear: NA

Postby espana23 » Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:12 pm

Thank you all for the replies.

So the consensus is that getting the Drifter as a dedicated kite for low wind is not the right approach and instead I should go for a 1 strut. To be honest I was under the impression that the re-launch of a 1 strut would be difficult during 11-15 knots that I'll be using it (especially considering I would still be a beginner to kite foiling) and that was one of the reasons I was leaning towards a 3 strut one and was considering the Drifter. Anyway, I will go do my research on 1 strut kites that would be good options for me and of course this means I will be looking at non-Cabrinha kites.

In regards to my approach to learning to kite foil, does anyone have any advise on that? I understand that my Switchblades are heavy and not ideal for kite foiling, but between learning to kite foil on the Switchblades I currently have with 16-18 knots compared to learning on a 1 strut with 11-15 knots, what do you recommend? Also, if I were to use my Switchblade during 16-18 knots to learn to kite foil, would you recommend to use the 12m or the 9m?

Thanks.

-Mike
Last edited by espana23 on Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:18 pm

One strut will relaunch just fine.

Start with 12+ knots for sure and nothing over 20. First couple times out the same size kite you would use with a surfboard. Just get up and taxi along on the water.

Lots of tutorials on getting started. Search Youtube.

HugoMC
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Dolly
Style: Freeride
Gear: Gaastra Pure :)

Postby HugoMC » Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:35 pm

I use a drifters for foiling along with a Cab Double Agent. Drifters are great kites for foiling. I love them. 11 knots is doable on a 9m drifter with some experience. The big difference you'll notice with the switchy and the drifter on the foil is that the drifter will drift downwind much easier. They hang in the air excellently too.

Single struts will also work but what you gave in Low end you will lose in high end. The drifters have great ability in the upper end of their wind ranges.

Return to “Hydrofoil”