Postby Cab Driver » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:12 pm

espana23 wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:14 am
Cab Driver wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:35 pm
espana23 wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:57 am
Hi all,

I would like to get your advise on the below.

I have been kitesurfing since 2017 and have been using a TT ever since. My current kites are Switchblade 12m and 9m. I currently kitesurf when the wind is 16+ knots and would like to increase my number of days on the water by being able to kite when the wind is 11-15 knots. Kite foiling always looked appealing to me and would like to do that. I will be buying used equipment (board/foil and kite) no older than 3-4 years but would like to stick to the Cabrinha brand for the kite since I like the brand and also have the Overdrive X1 recoil bar that would like to use with the kite. I am considering the Drifter based on research I have done (I am aware of the new 1strut Contra but as I said I want to buy used equipment). For the wind range of 11-15 knots that I am interested, what size of the Drifter would you recommend (I weigh 76Kg/167lbs)? Also, my approach will be to learn to kite foil with my 9m Switchblade when the wind is 16-18 knots, and once I get comfortable on that, then start using the Drifter when the wind is 11-15 knots. Does this approach make sense, or is there a better way to do this?

Thanks.

-Mike
I ride the 9m Drifter in that wind. No problems. I weigh 85kg / 185lbs. The Drifter is amazing on the foil, and of course on a surfboard.
What would you say is the true wind range of the 9m Drifter for foiling for someone that is getting into foiling and with my weight (without being too generous on the low end and high end)?
12-18 knots, but again your hydrofoil size might dictate a bit of the wind range as well.

espana23
Medium Poster
Gear: NA
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Advise on using Cabrinha Drifter for light wind kite foiling

Postby espana23 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:36 pm

Cab Driver wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:12 pm
espana23 wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:14 am
Cab Driver wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:35 pm

I ride the 9m Drifter in that wind. No problems. I weigh 85kg / 185lbs. The Drifter is amazing on the foil, and of course on a surfboard.
What would you say is the true wind range of the 9m Drifter for foiling for someone that is getting into foiling and with my weight (without being too generous on the low end and high end)?
12-18 knots, but again your hydrofoil size might dictate a bit of the wind range as well.
Thanks for the info.

rnelias
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: RJ, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: Arubinha, RJ
Cumbuco, CE
Barra da Tijuca, RJ
Praia da Bica, RJ
Style: freeride
Gear: Boxer 9m for foiling
Rebel SLS 8m or Crave HL 9m for boosting on twintip

Postby rnelias » Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:06 am

I was in the same boat as you @espana23

I have Rebels 9 and 12m and learned hydrofoil with them (pretty hard to go downwind with these 5 struct kites) but, as in my local spot the wind is usually in the 10-12k range, I've started to search for a lighter kite and got a FS Soul 12m lightly used. I didn't have any experience with kitefoils before -- i've been kiting since 2018 and only with LEIs -- but it was not that hard and already had a couple of sessions with it and I'm liking.
These users thanked the author rnelias for the post:
nikolaygadzhev77 (Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:58 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

drone
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Latvia's coast Beaches
Style: Freeride, foil, snow, ice.
Gear: FS, SS, LF, C, N, B.

Postby drone » Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:59 am

Just use your Switchblade 12m and don't bother

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:17 am

drone wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:59 am
Just use your Switchblade 12m and don't bother
Ew god no. I tried it once, because I'd set up for some TT fun but the wind never arrived. You might get more bottom end but they just pull all the time and want to fall out of the sky more. And the bar pressure is annoying. Used to use a 10m SB as my light wind kite, but the 10m Drifter is better.

espana23
Medium Poster
Gear: NA

Postby espana23 » Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:30 pm

The more research I do, the more I am leaning towards getting a 1 strut kite to be used only for foiling. Considering that my goal is to be able to foil only during 11-15 knots I think this would be the most appropriate solution. Based on the info you guys provided and the research I have done, after I learn to foil using my current kites, I think an 10m 1 strut kite would do the job.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:39 pm

espana23 wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:30 pm
The more research I do, the more I am leaning towards getting a 1 strut kite to be used only for foiling. Considering that my goal is to be able to foil only during 11-15 knots I think this would be the most appropriate solution. Based on the info you guys provided and the research I have done, after I learn to foil using my current kites, I think an 10m 1 strut kite would do the job.

Sounds right.

Learn with the Drifters, perfect for this, and for "windy" conditions, which you need when learning anyways.

Windy meaning 12 knots and more.

With a 10 m2 onestrut, you can ride in 8 to 11 knots of wind when 76 kg, and experienced.

And use your drifters above that.

8) Peter

borist
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby borist » Sat Mar 13, 2021 3:27 am

I'd keep to SB for now. There is a really good foiler at our spot who uses SB 10 and 8. He does just fine. Learn to foil, get good, then figure out what you may actually want. It might turn out to be something very different, like a single skin foil kite such as Peak4

RadDrDuke
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 75kg
Local Beach: Stuart, Florida
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Style: Surf > Foil > TT
Gear: Duotone Unit 5m V2, OR Glide Hybrid 5m, Airush Ultra 9m, Axis Foils, LF Moon patrol TT, Wainman kite surfboard, Fanatic 75L wingboard

Postby RadDrDuke » Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:05 pm

Get a 9 or 10m one-strut for sure, 11 knot lull and a 3+ strut may fall from the sky.

Agree that relaunch is not very relevant, you shouldn't be dropping your kite and with one-struts they float so nicely you almost never drop them, but they will certainly relaunch better than a heavy kite in barely any wind.

Regarding high winds, I fly my 9m ultra in 30knots all the time, it's suboptimal but works fine. Biggest negative is that it jumps poorly in general compared to regular kites.

junebug
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 195 lbs
Style: Freeride Twintip, Strapless Foil
Gear: Rebels (6m, 8m, 11m, 13m)
Nobile NHP
Boxers (3.5m, 4m, 5m, 7m, 10m, 12m) (flat water)
Peak4s (3m, 4m, 5m, 6m) (waves)
Lift 150 v1 Surf front / 38 back (flat water)
Lift 170 v1 Surf front / 26 back (waves)

Postby junebug » Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:47 pm

rnelias wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:06 am
I was in the same boat as you @espana23

I have Rebels 9 and 12m and learned hydrofoil with them (pretty hard to go downwind with these 5 struct kites) but, as in my local spot the wind is usually in the 10-12k range, I've started to search for a lighter kite and got a FS Soul 12m lightly used. I didn't have any experience with kitefoils before -- i've been kiting since 2018 and only with LEIs -- but it was not that hard and already had a couple of sessions with it and I'm liking.
I learned on Rebels too. Literally the worst kite for KBHF. The weight of a 5 strut coupled with 5 lines to really foul you up when the kite Hindenburgs going downwind.

Return to “Hydrofoil”