Foot position vs actual strap location a bit off

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
papasmerf
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Weight: 195
Local Beach: west coast
Style: lawn mower
Gear: Slingshot, North, moses, flysurfers, some ozone again, and 17 years of accumulated kite stuff
Brand Affiliation: I like slingshot and north. good folks

Foot position vs actual strap location a bit off

Postby papasmerf » Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:28 pm

I got a slingshot hyper miler for Jumping. i like the board. however, my feet position just do not line up with where the footstraps go,, i am much further forward. see pic,, that is where my feet are when foiling around, i can scootch them around a bit, but if i put on straps, even as far forward as possible,, i don't think it is going to be a very natural position. i have a north sonar 1150 pushed all the way to the rear of the tracks. there are no other holes in the mast foot so it cannot be modified. any advice on this? i have noticed that on my old dwarfcraft, it was very similiar,, i was always forward of where the straps would be, is it me? i am 6 2 with long legs, i prefer a wider stance as i am currently into carving as hard and as angled over as i can.
A974A57E-F26F-467A-A236-EC3E1BC2A38B.jpeg
Last edited by papasmerf on Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Foot position vs actual strap location a bit off

Postby Herman » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:01 am

Have you tried shimming the stabilizer?

papasmerf
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Slingshot, North, moses, flysurfers, some ozone again, and 17 years of accumulated kite stuff

Postby papasmerf » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:05 am

Herman wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:01 am
Have you tried shimming the stabilizer?
interesting idea, but no i haven't. it doesn't come with any shims, like armstrong, i may be able to make something,,, but which way to go? and how will that affect my foot position?

fluidity
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Weight: 115kg
Local Beach: Ngati Toa, Plimmerton, Titahi Bay, Waikanae, Petone, Seatoun, Lyall Bay, Eastbourne, Lake Wairarapa
Favorite Beaches: Plimmerton
Style: Wave, jump
Gear: Transitioned from Kiting to Wingsurfing late 2019. Building my own foils from my CAD designs and 3D prints, CNC machine.
Brand Affiliation: Designer of hydrofoils and many other things.

Postby fluidity » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:30 am

Got any other holes in the mast foot ahead of the current back hole position? Can you drill some?
Otherwise make up an aluminium plate longer in front than current mast foot, drill and tap plate for mast foot and drill for set of holes to screw through plate to us box.

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:35 am

Simplistically, if the stab is pushing harder down it means you will have to stand further forward to counteract the turning moment. You may only need 1 degree or so, you are not looking for big changes. Maybe worth playing with a few layers of tape but probably best to speak to somebody with more experience than me in this respect.

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Postby Foil » Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:09 pm

shimming may well give undesired results at high speeds, I played around with this idea for a long time and gave up as things felt a bit weird, as for boosting you need complete stability and good speed, and confidence the foils wont break away under side pressure as your loading up for take off.
since I started jumping my stance width has gone much wider, for better control basically, took a little getting used to but now love it, even better now in the waves.
By all means try a bit of shimming, it works well if you don't go mad with the shim thickness, think of using the lid off a yoghurt pot and use scissors to cut a neat shape, and melt a screw hole with a screwdriver end heated under a gas flame, rub smooth with some grit paper, easy and free, using 2 of these gave me strange undesired behaviour at speed, one was fine but killed off a few knots at top speed.
changed boards and foils now so no more problems with trim.
These users thanked the author Foil for the post:
papasmerf (Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:27 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

papasmerf
Very Frequent Poster

Postby papasmerf » Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:05 pm

Foil wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:09 pm
shimming may well give undesired results at high speeds, I played around with this idea for a long time and gave up as things felt a bit weird, as for boosting you need complete stability and good speed, and confidence the foils wont break away under side pressure as your loading up for take off.
since I started jumping my stance width has gone much wider, for better control basically, took a little getting used to but now love it, even better now in the waves.
By all means try a bit of shimming, it works well if you don't go mad with the shim thickness, think of using the lid off a yoghurt pot and use scissors to cut a neat shape, and melt a screw hole with a screwdriver end heated under a gas flame, rub smooth with some grit paper, easy and free, using 2 of these gave me strange undesired behaviour at speed, one was fine but killed off a few knots at top speed.
changed boards and foils now so no more problems with trim.
thanks colin,, as usual,,, sound advice from someone who has been there!

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:14 pm

Have you tried riding with the straps?

As very often you change your feet position/trim a lot more, when using straps.

To me the straps seems spot on, as you want to have them a bit more aft compared to strapless, so when jibing where you need your rear foot out of the strap in front of it - trim is still okay.
Very important.

You can ride with a very off position when having straps, not possible strapless.

So if you havent tried it, do, and take some time to get used to it :thumb:

8) Peter
These users thanked the author Peter_Frank for the post:
papasmerf (Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:27 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

papasmerf
Very Frequent Poster

Postby papasmerf » Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:32 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:14 pm
Have you tried riding with the straps?

As very often you change your feet position/trim a lot more, when using straps.

To me the straps seems spot on, as you want to have them a bit more aft compared to strapless, so when jibing where you need your rear foot out of the strap in front of it - trim is still okay.
Very important.

You can ride with a very off position when having straps, not possible strapless.

So if you havent tried it, do, and take some time to get used to it :thumb:

8) Peter
thanks peter,,, a good idea and i do intend to do that before making final decision. need to find some straps!

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish, Flysurfer, Alpine, Moses

Postby cglazier » Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:08 am

Yes Peter's advice is right on. I often ride with my back foot in front of the rear strap and I always do that just before tacking or gybing. I only put my rear foot in the strap when I want to go fast or jump or to feel stable in challenging conditions.

When you look for straps you will want to find large ones. (Many straps are too small and designed for twin tip riders who want their feet fitting snugly.) There is no need for that with the hydrofoil and you want to be able to kick the board off easily sometimes. My straps are so loose that I don't even adjust them when I switch from barefoot to booties.

;-)
CG

Return to “Hydrofoil”