Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Finally tacking beyond stoked!

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
lovethepirk
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Almost air tacking on hydrofoil...
Gear: Delta Race Hydrofoil, 15m SS Turbine, 12m Switchblade, 9m Switchblade
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Finally tacking beyond stoked!

Postby lovethepirk » Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:45 am

tkaraszewski wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:17 pm
These took forever and I still don't nail them all the time. It gets tiring practicing them day after day after day, though.

I'm trying to learn tacks to toeside on the wingfoil now. It's pretty similar, but the hand work is way different. I can only do it in one direction so far.
Is that one of Triton's boards? I live just south of him and have done some collaboration work with him on a hydrofoil we may do sometime together. His boards are simply the most amazing pieces of artwork I have ever seen in person. They actually don't look real with some of the wood inlays and stuff he does.

Wings are starting to pop up here in SW florida. They are making up about half of our total hydrofoilers now. Do you actually like foiling using a wing? I look at it and perhaps ignorantly feel like it would be too taxing and limiting in speed and distance you can cover upwind and downwind. There is one guy I frequently foil with that doesn't even know how to kite. I do circles around him, race boats, boost huge and the guy never is curious about the kite aspect of foiling. I guess he is having plenty of fun on the wing, but it seems too slow for me.

Btw is that a soul kite? I'm thinking of getting a 12m once this season is over and slowly transitioning to all foil kites for foiling. I really would like a demo though. How do you like that kite vs an inflatable for foiling?

tkaraszewski
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Hood River/Caribbean
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Flysurfer/Mikes Lab kite, Ozone/Moses wing

Postby tkaraszewski » Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:24 pm

lovethepirk wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:45 am
Is that one of Triton's boards? I live just south of him and have done some collaboration work with him on a hydrofoil we may do sometime together. His boards are simply the most amazing pieces of artwork I have ever seen in person. They actually don't look real with some of the wood inlays and stuff he does.

Wings are starting to pop up here in SW florida. They are making up about half of our total hydrofoilers now. Do you actually like foiling using a wing? I look at it and perhaps ignorantly feel like it would be too taxing and limiting in speed and distance you can cover upwind and downwind. There is one guy I frequently foil with that doesn't even know how to kite. I do circles around him, race boats, boost huge and the guy never is curious about the kite aspect of foiling. I guess he is having plenty of fun on the wing, but it seems too slow for me.

Btw is that a soul kite? I'm thinking of getting a 12m once this season is over and slowly transitioning to all foil kites for foiling. I really would like a demo though. How do you like that kite vs an inflatable for foiling?
Yes, I had John Triton build me this board to fit my Mike’s Lab foil. The kite is a Flysurfer Sonic 13m.

I do like the wing but for different reasons. The kite is definitely faster and more exciting but the wing has a lot wider usable range. I can launch the wing off the back of my boat in the marina and drift out of the harbor to the wind. Lulls to 0 for 15 minutes don’t bother the wing. You can paddle a wing board like a surfboard if the wind dies.

If you just go in circles within a few hundred yards of a big sandy beach, then the wing loses most of its advantages. But if you want to launch off of rocks or between trees or places where the wind only reaches within 200 yards of the shore, the wing shines. Also it works better than a kite for surfing.

If a kitefoil is a sports car a wing is sort of a Jeep. They’re good at different things.

I actually like the fact that the wing is more of a workout. Kiting isn’t actually that much exercise.

Here’s a run I did the other day on the wing, 5 miles upwind around a little island and back:

Flag53
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Rhosneigr
Favorite Beaches: Rhosneigr

Cayo guiermo
Style: Mixed
Gear: Mixed

Postby Flag53 » Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:25 pm

Hi Lovethepink ,

Great news on the tacks , what tips have you got for nailing them ?

lovethepirk
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Almost air tacking on hydrofoil...
Gear: Delta Race Hydrofoil, 15m SS Turbine, 12m Switchblade, 9m Switchblade

Postby lovethepirk » Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:40 pm

Flag,

My 2 largest hurdles were simply not carving far enough around into the new angle and not matching my board motion with the kite motion. For the first item, as you carve you are creating a radius and I was not allowing myself to let the radius continue on long enough to get at least close to the new tack direction. This doesn't mean you must carve to the perfect opposite tack that you were going, but it means you allow the radius to continue until you at least get passed directly upwind and a little more. The next issue I fought for the longest time was not linking up my board direction with the kite. This started b/c I was not carving enough, so instinctively I learned to not throw the kite in the new direction enough. If you don't carve around enough you simply can't throw the kite as much as you will eventually need to or else as you go one way the kite yanks you the other way while you watch your board go bye bye. A few people told me I needed to throw the kite more so I did and I got yarded for months. What they didn't tell me is if you are going to throw the kite aggressively you must match that up with the direction that the board is pointed otherwise you are torn b/w two forces. Where I think I am now is that I feel the kite so well that I can adjust the last moments of my carve to dial in where the kite is leading me. If you are not timed up perfectly you can make this up with getting that board pointed faster or slower in the right balanced direction. I generally like to thrown the kite more aggressively than less b/c you can just go slightly downwind if the kite is pulling you too much that way.

Here are some other tips that are not mission critical, but I think help.
-My 12m is 10x easier to nail tacks than my 15m. The 15m even in a simple 10-11 knot wind can float me off the board during a tack, this rarely happens with the 12m. To avoid this I slow down more with the 15m during the transition, while if it is light and I am on the 12m I can haul ass into the move. Hauling ass into the transition on my 15m is out of the question for me.

As your board meets the directly upwind angle and beyond I like to try my best to flatted the board with a little toe curl. This isn't mandatory, but will greatly help with fast transition and getting a long fast glide while you settle your feet in and throw the kite down for the power stroke or a kiteloop i used in lighter winds.

Getting that new back foot in the strap is a weird stepping back motion. The motion is how far down the board you put your foot and how far back it must swing. I never had a problem with getting the foot down the board enough, I just didn't pull it backwards enough. Now I just try to overdo it each time and it works for some reason.

I struggled with tacking regular stance for a while and learned I needed to turn my head and look where I was going. I guess this was natural for me in goofy stance. Basically just look where you are going as you are carving. Let your head lead the turn.

Hope this helps.
These users thanked the author lovethepirk for the post (total 5):
leeuwen (Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:40 am) • irwe (Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:22 am) • FLandOBX (Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:16 pm) • Oldman (Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:58 pm) • geokite (Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:05 am)
Rating: 33.33%

Flag53
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Rhosneigr
Favorite Beaches: Rhosneigr

Cayo guiermo
Style: Mixed
Gear: Mixed

Postby Flag53 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:57 am

Thanks bud 👍

junebug
Frequent Poster
Gear: Twintip
Foil

Postby junebug » Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:36 pm

lovethepirk wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:40 pm
Flag,

My 2 largest hurdles were simply not carving far enough around into the new angle and not matching my board motion with the kite motion. For the first item, as you carve you are creating a radius and I was not allowing myself to let the radius continue on long enough to get at least close to the new tack direction. This doesn't mean you must carve to the perfect opposite tack that you were going, but it means you allow the radius to continue until you at least get passed directly upwind and a little more. The next issue I fought for the longest time was not linking up my board direction with the kite. This started b/c I was not carving enough, so instinctively I learned to not throw the kite in the new direction enough. If you don't carve around enough you simply can't throw the kite as much as you will eventually need to or else as you go one way the kite yanks you the other way while you watch your board go bye bye. A few people told me I needed to throw the kite more so I did and I got yarded for months. What they didn't tell me is if you are going to throw the kite aggressively you must match that up with the direction that the board is pointed otherwise you are torn b/w two forces. Where I think I am now is that I feel the kite so well that I can adjust the last moments of my carve to dial in where the kite is leading me. If you are not timed up perfectly you can make this up with getting that board pointed faster or slower in the right balanced direction. I generally like to thrown the kite more aggressively than less b/c you can just go slightly downwind if the kite is pulling you too much that way.

-My 12m is 10x easier to nail tacks than my 15m. The 15m even in a simple 10-11 knot wind can float me off the board during a tack, this rarely happens with the 12m. To avoid this I slow down more with the 15m during the transition, while if it is light and I am on the 12m I can haul ass into the move. Hauling ass into the transition on my 15m is out of the question for me.

As your board meets the directly upwind angle and beyond I like to try my best to flatted the board with a little toe curl. This isn't mandatory, but will greatly help with fast transition and getting a long fast glide while you settle your feet in and throw the kite down for the power stroke or a kiteloop i used in lighter winds.

Getting that new back foot in the strap is a weird stepping back motion. The motion is how far down the board you put your foot and how far back it must swing. I never had a problem with getting the foot down the board enough, I just didn't pull it backwards enough. Now I just try to overdo it each time and it works for some reason.

I struggled with tacking regular stance for a while and learned I needed to turn my head and look where I was going. I guess this was natural for me in goofy stance. Basically just look where you are going as you are carving. Let your head lead the turn.

Hope this helps.
There are 1,000 ways to skin a cat, but on roll tacks I am more comfortable doing the footswitch before the board is dead upwind. When I was learning, I found it more natural to conceptualize of them as a slight upwind carve, then quick footswitch, followed by a toeside 180 to heelside as the board goes through dead upwind. I ride a Lift 150 and very underpowered LEIs and mostly have to throw a loop to stay on foil through the maneuver, so the kite provides very little lift, and the timing is probably different from a fast foil and larger foil kite. I've tried playing around with the timing of the footswitch, but doing it any later just feels all wrong.

I'm not sure if the video will link, but here's an example of what I'm talking about:

https://fb.watch/3-OJV87DWN/

Cefirmeza
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Weight: 65kg
Local Beach: Ceará - Brazil
Favorite Beaches: Ceará, Brazil
Style: Freeride foil
Gear: Slingshot sst 4m, Airush Ultra II 5m, Flysurfer Soul 6m
Slingshot Dwarfcraft 4´3 / Pocket surf 100cm board
Moses 91cm W633/679 - S483
2015 Lift Classic 100 Osprey

Postby Cefirmeza » Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:02 pm

junebug wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:36 pm
lovethepirk wrote:
Flag,

Hope this helps.
There are 1,000 ways to skin a cat, but on roll tacks I am more comfortable doing the footswitch before the board is dead upwind. When I was learning, I found it more natural to conceptualize of them as a slight upwind carve, then quick footswitch, followed by a toeside 180 to heelside as the board goes through dead upwind. I ride a Lift 150 and very underpowered LEIs and mostly have to throw a loop to stay on foil through the maneuver, so the kite provides very little lift, and the timing is probably different from a fast foil and larger foil kite. I've tried playing around with the timing of the footswitch, but doing it any later just feels all wrong.

I'm not sure if the video will link, but here's an example of what I'm talking about:

I do the same on my bad stance while strapless, since I can do toeside tack after the foot switch.
On my natural stance I switch after the turn.

Anyone does a toeside tack on both ways?

junebug
Frequent Poster
Gear: Twintip
Foil

Postby junebug » Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:04 pm

Cefirmeza wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:02 pm
junebug wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:36 pm
lovethepirk wrote:
Flag,

Hope this helps.

I do the same on my bad stance while strapless, since I can do toeside tack after the foot switch.
On my natural stance I switch after the turn.

Anyone does a toeside tack on both ways?
Yeah, and I do tacks pretty much the same way both sides. Riding switch into regular my footswitch is a little later than riding regular into switch, but I do both before the board is directly upwind.

Return to “Hydrofoil”