A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Does the board matter

Postby downunder » Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:48 pm

It does not matter.

Just like it does not matter for TT. U good, or u not. Simple as that.

Do not blame the tools. Blunt fact that is.

purdyd
Very Frequent Poster

Postby purdyd » Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:04 pm

Ctkiter2021 wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:28 pm
Since foiling is mainly done with the board out of the water , does the board really matter ?
Yes but not as much as the wing or kite.

The deck is important to me, especially the grip. I don’t like too much grip.

If you use straps or hook(s) the relative placement in regards to the foil matter.

Lighter shorter boards are more responsive easier to get in place. Longer boards can help you if you hit the water or if you need to work the kite to get up on foil.

Nose scoop, width and shape can play factors.

Once you are up on foil I think the shorter lighter boards are easier to control and more fun to ride.

Some people prefer a bit longer board for ease of use.

The other thing is construction. You don’t want the board to fall apart and lose your wing or snap in half, especially if you jump.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:26 pm

It matters HUGELY !!!

I dont find swing weight matters when we are in sub 135 cm boards, as the difference is almost not present, compared to a lot of disadvantages...

So whether I use an 85 or 115 or 130 cm board, or even bigger, depends on the very day and conditions and what I "feel" like :wink:

But this is an "old" discussion, and we can not agree whatsoever, very polarized views :rollgrin:

My take on this is, even with a really big foil wing:

For starting when light, or underpowered, a bigger board means everything.

For waveriding if you have touchdowns a longer and more curved board means everything.

For re-foiling fast and easy after a lull where you drop the board on the water, a bigger board means everything.

For looping yourself ashore still standing on the board, when wind drops a lot below foiling, a bigger board means everything.

For practicing jibes or tacks where you touchdown now and then, a bigger board means everything.

............and then there are some other features:

For a beginner it is way way easier to learn to taxi on a bigger board.

To self rescue it is much better to sit or paddle on a bigger board, especially if you have to pack your kite down also.
(This is in particular important when it is winter and freezing temperatures, where also a matter of being safer for you)

If having trouble relaunching your kite, it is easier sitting on a bigger board, and much more pleasant.

8) Peter

azoele
Frequent Poster
Gear: Airush DNA 14

Postby azoele » Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:28 pm

It does matter for me too.

Larger boards are inherently easier, because they are perceived as less "lively" under the feet, so they send less of a sensory overload, and slow down manouvers.

Smaller, lighter boards are funnier: very reactive, and with the critical attribute of lower swing weight: this makes them not only livelier under the feet, but also less resisting to direction/manouvers changes, be it jibes, or pitch variations to overcome a wave.

One just needs to try different boards to perceive the difference in foiling, they can be quite significant even with relatively modest size variations (i.e. I could immediately feel the difference between my Groove Skate L and a friend's Skate M).

But in truth... boards are like foil setups: having more than one is quite nice.
Some days one may feel like taming the quicker board, other days call for a more relaxed riding :)

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:45 am

Hmm,

the OP did not provide specs, like "does it matter for self rescue?", or "how lively small or large board is?" ;)

What is easier for one person might be complete nightmare for the other. For example, are you 180-190cm tall? Or 90-100kg?

So how does that compare to a tiny 145cm/50kg female rider? What is "big" for her/him? With small hands how can one hold thick board with a lot of volume?

Or when we say foil weight does not matter, how do we know what's heavy for a small/big rider?

It does not matter. What matters is what is the rider comfortable with. Proven on my local, from 100kg riders riding super small carbon setup, and jumping, to 50kg female riders riding ALU foils on TT construction boards with FS Peak 4m.

Trust me, you just do not know what someone is comfortable with. If we all have the same foot size, would the same shoe fit all? Basically this is what general reply is, one board fits me, so it must fits you. For this or that purpose.

So I'll say again and again, it does not matter.

Or, it would HUGELY matter if we know the specs ;) And we don't. Clear as mud? Or, is this a click bite again? First post? :naughty:

I'll be super carefull from now on. Someone maybe pulling our leg.

purdyd
Very Frequent Poster

Postby purdyd » Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:09 pm

downunder wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:45 am
Hmm,

the OP did not provide specs, like "does it matter for self rescue?", or "how lively small or large board is?" ;)

What is easier for one person might be complete nightmare for the other. For example, are you 180-190cm tall? Or 90-100kg?

So how does that compare to a tiny 145cm/50kg female rider? What is "big" for her/him? With small hands how can one hold thick board with a lot of volume?

Or when we say foil weight does not matter, how do we know what's heavy for a small/big rider?

It does not matter. What matters is what is the rider comfortable with. Proven on my local, from 100kg riders riding super small carbon setup, and jumping, to 50kg female riders riding ALU foils on TT construction boards with FS Peak 4m.

Trust me, you just do not know what someone is comfortable with. If we all have the same foot size, would the same shoe fit all? Basically this is what general reply is, one board fits me, so it must fits you. For this or that purpose.

So I'll say again and again, it does not matter.

Or, it would HUGELY matter if we know the specs ;) And we don't. Clear as mud? Or, is this a click bite again? First post? :naughty:

I'll be super carefull from now on. Someone maybe pulling our leg.
I don’t understand your logic. As I think what you are saying is.....

Does a board matter? Yes

Is there one board for everyone? No

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:01 pm

Yes and no.
You need a board to bolt the foil to and stand on.
When you’re learning you’re riding on surface and touching it a lot. So it would be easier with a larger board.
In lightwind or on a small wing you gain speed on the surface before the wing can fly. So again, you’d want you board to have some extra volume and area.
For a large wing, you rarely touch water but the board needs to be large enough to fit your stance and have enough volume to float with foil bolted to it.
You want the board to be light and compact for travel and have comfy upper deck to stand on.
The board must have appropriately positioned mast mount/tracks so you can ride it with a given foil at all.

Yet any foil board you choose - it must be stiff. Just like in sex the flimsy won’t do.

Huib
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Brouwersdam, Ouddorp
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Groove Full carbon Wave, Ketos 118cm board, Ketos Foil, BRM Cloud E8+ 6.2 +4.8+3.7+ 2.8+2.2

Postby Huib » Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:05 pm

I found out that it matters a lot. I went from a Groove Skate (carbon) 120cm to a Wave 123cm. The difference is huge.
The Wave (carbon) is much more dynamic even if you don't hit the water. I can't explain why it makes such a difference. Same weight and almost same size.

Return to “Hydrofoil”