Medium Poster
Local Beach: dolymounth
Favorite Beaches: porthmarnock
Style: beginner
Gear: rrd
Brand Affiliation: None

Cabrinha double agent

Postby zamo27 » Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:05 am

I want to ease myself into foiling and I’m looking at the double agent as my entry level into this category of kitesurfing. I have only ever been on twin tips
Is cabrihna double agent my best option to start on this year learning to use a surf board with fins and then hopefully buy the foil next year

Any other boards that offer both setups
I don’t have endless time on the beach hence why I need to do it progressively and not buy a foil which mightn’t take off

leeuwen
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Anything in NL
Style: Foiling around
Gear: KauperXT 11M Falcon
Ocean Rodeo aluula roam 10m / HL Crave 8m/6m
Slingshot ghost 4M
Sabfoil 1350L,633,699,671/ 83-103 kraken mast / Groove Skate L + Radical / Sabfoil T35
Lieuwe Shotgun

Re: Cabrihna double agent

Postby leeuwen » Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:33 pm

I owned the double agent. I was in the same situation with only twintip experience.
Although you can ride it it doesn’t really help you get into foiling at all.
I would skip using these bad trade of boards, or get a real surf board if you want to surf, and go straight to foiling.

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:38 pm

The board is fun to ride but it's more like a skim board than a surfboard(more skatey)
The foil works well for learning, planes early, and is relatively stable. They do have lots of wings now that are designed for slower surfing style that plane earlier and are super stable.

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:24 pm

It’s a cheap foil, just like Liquid Force models. Is ok to learn in but you wouldn’t want to keep it.
Nowadays you can get carbon or carbon/aluminum setups for very good price too - I suggest you do that instead

zamo27
Medium Poster
Local Beach: dolymounth
Favorite Beaches: porthmarnock
Style: beginner
Gear: rrd

Postby zamo27 » Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:27 pm

grigorib wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:24 pm
It’s a cheap foil, just like Liquid Force models. Is ok to learn in but you wouldn’t want to keep it.
Nowadays you can get carbon or carbon/aluminum setups for very good price too - I suggest you do that instead
Which board or brands would those be

elguapo
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: pattaya
Gear: ..
Has thanked: 0

Postby elguapo » Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:29 pm

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:34 pm

I think Slingshot and Liquid Force offered some converter boards but I wouldn’t go for a converter board - they’re too bulky not foil and too heavy for a surfboard. I wouldn’t even bother with surfboard to start with unless you have real waves to ride.

nixmatters
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride. started foiling, not there yet
Gear: mostly custom made
Brand Affiliation: None currently

Postby nixmatters » Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:37 pm

zamo27 wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:05 am
I want to ease myself into foiling and I’m looking at the double agent as my entry level into this category of kitesurfing. I have only ever been on twin tips
Is cabrihna double agent my best option to start on this year learning to use a surf board with fins and then hopefully buy the foil next year

I don’t have endless time on the beach hence why I need to do it progressively and not buy a foil which mightn’t take off
There are plenty of wave/foil hybrid boards out there. Actually not that bad compromise if you have a decent surf at your local spot and want to start in both disciplines without invesiting in 2 boards. Cabrinha X:Breed Foil, Slingshot Converter, Duotone Hybrid Wave Foil, North Chase, Fone have 2 models I think.

As for the foil, if you are refering to the old, pre 2019 Cabrinha foil (there is a new DA850 - looks similar, but but probably updated shape), there are better beginner budget foils.
Like many others I learnt on it, but have since then tested many other easier beginner budget foils. Check what other good deals you can get and ask again.
These users thanked the author nixmatters for the post:
zamo27 (Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:02 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

GetHighOrDieTrying
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Weight: 180lbs
Local Beach: USA
Gear: Ozone

Postby GetHighOrDieTrying » Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:13 pm

i agree on avoiding the hybrid setup. if you want to do waves then get a surfboard, if your goal is foiling start straight away with it. the first couple of sessions will be frustrating but once you get the hang of it you will improve quickly and be able to enjoy the flying carpet. from my experience, it's important to have the right conditions to start learning on the foil. wide sandy beach, flat water/no waves, deep enough water for your mast but helpful if you can still stand, easier to start with a shorter mast but not necessary, constant wind ~15 kts. i had some waves and currents for my first foil sessions and it just made it so much more difficult and frustrating to get the hang of it.

as for foil and board i saw the double agent at our local beaches and didn't like it at all. it's heavy and not a good longer term setup in my view. as soon you progress with your skills you will want to get rid of it. IMO better options are duotone foils and boards. i've been riding the spirit freeride. these foils are alu(mast)/carbon composite (wings) combination, which is robust and more economic compared to real carbon (wouldn't recommend in the beginning as it's too fragile). their base plate is a standard size so you can easily get a used foil board duotone or many other brands and get started. i like these foils as they are good allrounders and you will enjoy them even as you progress without the need to upgrade to a high end setup straight away.

Da Yoda
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Style: Strapless Freestyle, Wave, Freeride
Gear: Handmade Surfboards

Postby Da Yoda » Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:37 am

zamo27 wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:05 am
Airush's new Slayer could be worth checking out. I've yet to see anything like it with it's twintip construction.
Looks like it could be a really fun hybrid board for both disciplines. :thumb:

Return to “Hydrofoil”