Local Beach: Deer Creek, Utah Lake,
Favorite Beaches: SPI, The Gorge
Style: Freeride
Gear: Ozone, Underground
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Naish Boxer 2021

Postby skyhill » Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:23 pm

I'm a long time Ozone rider and have been waiting for the Alpha V2 release. Just learned that it is a 6 month wait:cry: So now I'm looking at the Naish Boxer, Duotone Mono or Cabrinha Contra. I'm 160 lbs, mostly riding strapless foil and some surfboard and spending summers in the Columbia Gorge and spring and fall on Utah lakes. I'm not interested in foil or no strut kites due to local Utah conditions. I have been riding Enduros 5, 7 and 9m and picked up a 3.4 Boxer last summer. I really like the Boxer' and I'm thinking of adding 5,7 and 9m. Seems like the Boxer has a good top end range for a single strut. I'm also planning on using my Ozone bars and wondering what size bar for a 9m Boxer. Any feedback on the Boxer or other kites I mentioned and what sizes is appreciated.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Naish Boxer 2021

Postby tautologies » Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:09 pm

skyhill wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:23 pm
I'm a long time Ozone rider and have been waiting for the Alpha V2 release. Just learned that it is a 6 month wait:cry: So now I'm looking at the Naish Boxer, Duotone Mono or Cabrinha Contra. I'm 160 lbs, mostly riding strapless foil and some surfboard and spending summers in the Columbia Gorge and spring and fall on Utah lakes. I'm not interested in foil or no strut kites due to local Utah conditions. I have been riding Enduros 5, 7 and 9m and picked up a 3.4 Boxer last summer. I really like the Boxer' and I'm thinking of adding 5,7 and 9m. Seems like the Boxer has a good top end range for a single strut. I'm also planning on using my Ozone bars and wondering what size bar for a 9m Boxer. Any feedback on the Boxer or other kites I mentioned and what sizes is appreciated.
It has super good top end IMO. I used the 6 boxer in the gorge with a large surf foil when some people could ride 5s on their TT...it was a nuking day. I am also surprised at how low I can go on the 6 boxer. So range is killer. I do not know what size bar, I would think a standard ozone bar would be fine? :thumb:

taiguy
Medium Poster

Postby taiguy » Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:49 am

I've got the 4, 5, 7, 10. I'm a fan of the n+1 step size.

Dirk
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: St. Peter Ording
Favorite Beaches: St. Peter Ording, Tarifa, Sylt
Style: Freeride, jumping, waves, foiling
Gear: Naish Pivot, Slash, Boxer, Global, Motion, Traverse, Hero, Naish Hover, Naish Surf Foil

Postby Dirk » Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:22 am

I am only foiling in low winds 7-12 knots and use an 11m Boxer (current model) for that. I also have the 14m Boxer and use both sizes on the Twintip. They really have an excellent wind range for a 1-strut kite. Ozone Bar should work fine, you might need to swap knots and loops with pigtails. On my large kites I use the 51 cm Naish Bar with 24m lines.

riddim1
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Local Beach: Australia
Favorite Beaches: Spot X
Style: wave, foil
Gear: Naish, Firewire, Duotone, Lift

Postby riddim1 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:38 am

I rode a 10m 2020 Boxer on the Naish BTB 55 Torque Bar for a while. I rode on a surf foil mostly from 12 thru 20 knots. It’s comfortable range was 12-16. Found the kite was a bit sluggish to turn as I’m use to smaller kites. I test rode an S25 9m in around 11 knots and found it a much quicker kite with more axial turns. Have test rode a few of the other major brand one-strut kites and felt the Boxer had best top end with least ‘flap’. Boxers are a tad heavier than other kites if that’s a concern. I swapped my 10 for the 9 and are much happier now. I have a 5m Boxer as my go-to kite for the normal local conditions with 14-20 knot seabreezes. Any bar of around 50-55 would be fine IMO.

skyhill
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Deer Creek, Utah Lake,
Favorite Beaches: SPI, The Gorge
Style: Freeride
Gear: Ozone, Underground

Postby skyhill » Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:45 pm

Thanks everyone for the feedback on the Boxer. They sound like a good choice for my needs. Now I'm checking on availibility :thumb:

Surferduuude
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: SVP, ASP
Style: No board shorts
Gear: Naish Dash 10, 12
Naish Pivot 7
Naish Boxer 10
Airush Protoy 135
Airush Apex 135
F-One Trax HRD LT 136
Naish Kev Pro 137
Gong Alvator Alround foil

Postby Surferduuude » Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:05 am

riddim1 wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:38 am
I rode a 10m 2020 Boxer on the Naish BTB 55 Torque Bar for a while. I rode on a surf foil mostly from 12 thru 20 knots. It’s comfortable range was 12-16. Found the kite was a bit sluggish to turn as I’m use to smaller kites. I test rode an S25 9m in around 11 knots and found it a much quicker kite with more axial turns. Have test rode a few of the other major brand one-strut kites and felt the Boxer had best top end with least ‘flap’. Boxers are a tad heavier than other kites if that’s a concern. I swapped my 10 for the 9 and are much happier now. I have a 5m Boxer as my go-to kite for the normal local conditions with 14-20 knot seabreezes. Any bar of around 50-55 would be fine IMO.

Any chance you tried an Airush Ultra? I'm looking for a 10m kite to light wind foil (Gong Allround Alvator), and I can't quite choose between the Boxer and the Ultra. Several tests says the Ultra is lighter, but has more flutter, so I guess it's a matter of what is most/least desirable. I have a Pivot 7m I'll use when the wind picks up.

PS. Why are you happier with the 9m over the 10m?

Windigo1
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Foil foil.. and Old School!
Gear: Too many to list

Postby Windigo1 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:53 pm

Surferduuude wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:05 am
riddim1 wrote:

Any chance you tried an Airush Ultra? I'm looking for a 10m kite to light wind foil (Gong Allround Alvator), and I can't quite choose between the Boxer and the Ultra. Several tests says the Ultra is lighter, but has more flutter, so I guess it's a matter of what is most/least desirable. I have a Pivot 7m I'll use when the wind picks up.

I own one Ultra V1 and I have tried the V2 and V3 I own several Boxers. The Boxer is a bit heavier and indeed the Ultra has more flutter. I am happy that My Ultra is a 12M so it works good for super ligth wind below 10 knots above 10 knots I use the 9M Boxer. The other thing is the Boxer is a better all around kite it feels more like a regular kite it's great for boosting and a twintip and great in waves with a surfboard the Ultra feels more like a single strut it's brilliant for foiling but it doesn't feel like regular kite. If you going to travel and you want a kite that will do it all I would lean towards the Boxer.

Surferduuude
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: SVP, ASP
Style: No board shorts
Gear: Naish Dash 10, 12
Naish Pivot 7
Naish Boxer 10
Airush Protoy 135
Airush Apex 135
F-One Trax HRD LT 136
Naish Kev Pro 137
Gong Alvator Alround foil

Postby Surferduuude » Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:42 pm

Windigo1 wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:53 pm
Surferduuude wrote:

I own one Ultra V1 and I have tried the V2 and V3 I own several Boxers. The Boxer is a bit heavier and indeed the Ultra has more flutter. I am happy that My Ultra is a 12M so it works good for super ligth wind below 10 knots above 10 knots I use the 9M Boxer. The other thing is the Boxer is a better all around kite it feels more like a regular kite it's great for boosting and a twintip and great in waves with a surfboard the Ultra feels more like a single strut it's brilliant for foiling but it doesn't feel like regular kite. If you going to travel and you want a kite that will do it all I would lean towards the Boxer.
Thanks for your comments! Never say never, but I plan to use the Boxer/Ultra only for foiling. (or perhaps strapsless lw fun) I have a Dash 10 and 12 for twintipping, and a 7 Pivot for nuking days, and (is my plan) for foiling in more wind than the Boxer/Ultra can handle. That's also why I'm aiming at 10m, as I think (best mans best guess) the overlap of a 9m Boxer/Ultra will be too big with the 7 Pivot.

I wan't to be able to go in as little wind as possible, but I don't want to lay in the water in marginal wind, having problems relaunching the damn thing. I had a brief look at the Gong Strutless, but I saw a video with very light wind relaunch, and that's beyond my temper :jump:

riddim1
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Local Beach: Australia
Favorite Beaches: Spot X
Style: wave, foil
Gear: Naish, Firewire, Duotone, Lift

Postby riddim1 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:32 pm

Surferduuude wrote:
riddim1 wrote:

Hi Suferduude,

I have ridden the Ultra but Windigo nailed it in his response re your query.

I am happier with the 9m S25 Boxer as it is quicker and turns more axially than the 19/20 10m. As Windigo explained, the Boxer is more suited for all-round riding..... excels above a foil without a doubt but also holds it own in the waves with a surfboard. I ride my 9m S25 in waves with a SB from 14-18 kts then I’m on my 7m Slash. The quicker turning 9m helps me with the on-shore conditions at my regular spots.
These users thanked the author riddim1 for the post:
Surferduuude (Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:56 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Hydrofoil”