starting hydrofoiling behind a boat

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
papasmerf
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Weight: 195
Local Beach: west coast
Style: lawn mower
Gear: Slingshot, North, moses, flysurfers, some ozone again, and 17 years of accumulated kite stuff
Brand Affiliation: I like slingshot and north. good folks

starting hydrofoiling behind a boat

Postby papasmerf » Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:59 pm

recently reading in a "wing" forum thread about how it is easier to start kite foiling than learn behind a boat or with a wing,,, which makes sense if you have plenty of kite skills.

however, for someone with zero kite skills,, i was thinking of introducing my 16 year old to foiling behind the boat with my kite foil set up slingshot hypermiler (have a 70 cm mast) with a north sonar, either 1150 front wing or 1650 front wing

i have never done it,,,would like to avoid any stupid mistakes or misconceptions,, smaller or bigger front wing?

youtube makes it look easy

Coloradokiter
Medium Poster

Re: starting hydrofoiling behind a boat

Postby Coloradokiter » Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:19 pm

My quick reply is to start with the small front wing. He does not need to instantly pop onto foil. It's best he goes slow and keeps the board down. Then it becomes easy with a boat to slowly add a couple mph to foil.
I have also found that the pull from the boat is so low compared to a kite that it is a fairly tough water start. The boat tries desperately to pull you over the front of the board. If he has good wakeboard skills then this pull will be familiar. If he doesn't then it's a longer journey.
Since you own the boat then it's worth going out and having some fun. If you have to pay someone to tow you then it's very frustrating for the value you spend. I have towed my wife around and she has fun because its free. I have towed beginner students and felt bad enough that in the end I didn't charge them. Since then I stopped doing this commercially unless the student agrees that he will be frustrated when getting his/her bill.
These users thanked the author Coloradokiter for the post:
papasmerf (Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:02 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

papasmerf
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Weight: 195
Local Beach: west coast
Style: lawn mower
Gear: Slingshot, North, moses, flysurfers, some ozone again, and 17 years of accumulated kite stuff
Brand Affiliation: I like slingshot and north. good folks

Postby papasmerf » Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:03 pm

Coloradokiter wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:19 pm
My quick reply is to start with the small front wing. He does not need to instantly pop onto foil. It's best he goes slow and keeps the board down. Then it becomes easy with a boat to slowly add a couple mph to foil.
I have also found that the pull from the boat is so low compared to a kite that it is a fairly tough water start. The boat tries desperately to pull you over the front of the board. If he has good wakeboard skills then this pull will be familiar. If he doesn't then it's a longer journey.
Since you own the boat then it's worth going out and having some fun. If you have to pay someone to tow you then it's very frustrating for the value you spend. I have towed my wife around and she has fun because its free. I have towed beginner students and felt bad enough that in the end I didn't charge them. Since then I stopped doing this commercially unless the student agrees that he will be frustrated when getting his/her bill.
thanks colorado,,,, how to people deal with a foil that wants to sink vs a foil that will sit on it's side(which is probably easier) mine wants to sink

i have a front hook on mine facing forward to keep sideways using the hook and my foot,,, i guess i will try it out before letting my son do it

grtlakes
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: ontario Nickel and Sunset
Favorite Beaches: hatteras area,
nickel beach, sunset beach
Style: Erratic
Gear: Armstrong 1050 2400, mako king,NHP split, OR flites and prodigy

Postby grtlakes » Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:28 am

I learned along with a friend using a small low power zodiac with a small LF foil around 800cm size. A couple points will help.

1: Due to very low position of the tow rope it was best to start with knees bent and body weight as low as possible.

2: Ensure the driver accelerates in a positive smooth manner. Of more importance was a
Slow deceleration. “Chopping the throttle” resulted in immediate stall of the wing resulting in dangerous nose dives and injuries.

It was a blast. Have fun.

Bennis123
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Oslo
Style: Freeride/freestyle
Gear: None
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Bennis123 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:33 am

I found water start with a slightly overpowered kite to be much easier because of the vertical pull out of the water. I've seen experienced kiters really struggling behind a boat because of the low pull.

irwe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Keswick
Favorite Beaches: Choche
South Padre Island
Silver Rock
Bahia Salinas
Style: Allaround
Gear: Ocean Rodeo
Slingshot
Spleen
Axis
Best
Shinn
TKF
ConceptAir
Zeeko
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby irwe » Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:35 am

I have taught a lot of people to Hydrofoil behind a boat.

Easiest Way: Wing Board (127 L) Takuma Concept V-100 70 cm mast, Rope length (shortened ski rope ~35 ft)

127 L Board allows Beginners to start in Kneeling or Standing position.

Start with Foiler way out to one side of boat (they will get pulled to center when getting up and wake or prop wash will throw them off)

Dryland training (balance - if they want to progress to Standing)

I get everyone Foiling on their first session with this method.
Attachments
KneeFoil.jpg
KneeFoil.jpg (102.56 KiB) Viewed 1286 times
BoatFoil.PNG
BoatFoil.PNG (1.3 MiB) Viewed 1286 times

Return to “Hydrofoil”