Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Does Anyone Else Use the SS Infinity 99 For Kiting?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Kitedougiefresh
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 1996
Weight: 210
Local Beach: Lido, Siesta Key, Turtle, Venice
Sarasota Florida.
Style: Surf & Swell
Gear: Peak 4 6 m
Peak 4 8 m
Pulsion 18M
Sonic 2 11M
Sonic 2 21M
Soul V2 15M

Does Anyone Else Use the SS Infinity 99 For Kiting?

Postby Kitedougiefresh » Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:34 pm

It is getting to be the low wind season here in Florida which is when I transition over to my Infinity 99. It takes me some time to get used to all the lift but at 105KG it is amazing that I can make it work with a Peak 8 m in a solid 8MPH. I also like how slow I can go once I am up and foiling. I was curious to see if anyone else uses it and how they are making out with it.
These users thanked the author Kitedougiefresh for the post (total 2):
PugetSoundKiter (Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:22 pm) • bkkite (Mon May 03, 2021 2:17 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

gl
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: Flysurfer Peak 4 8 and 11, Concept Air Smart, Water Smart, Pulsion, Firefly and Wave kites. Slingshot foil boards and foils, North Nugget
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Does Anyone Else Use the SS Infinity 99 For Kiting?

Postby gl » Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:31 pm

I have the 99 but only use it for winging and wind foiling. I do use the 84 for very light wind kiting and since I am only 80 kg. I expect that it would be similar to the 99 for your weight. I do find it takes a bit of time to adjust to using it and can go quite slow on the foil. Generally I prefer the 76 for kiting and find it easier to use but for really light wind kiting with my 8 metre Firefly or 9 Pulsion the 84 works better for me once I adjust to the different feel. With the 12 Pulsion I do better with the 76 as I can develop more speed easily although jibing in very light wind I prefer single skins like the Firefly or Peak 4 as the sit further back in the wind window and provide me with more continuous power in the jibing without surging forward in the window and losing power. My jibe success rate with the single skins is much higher although my speed is lower.
These users thanked the author gl for the post:
Kitedougiefresh (Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:53 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Kitedougiefresh
Medium Poster
Sarasota Florida.
Peak 4 8 m
Pulsion 18M
Sonic 2 11M
Sonic 2 21M
Soul V2 15M

Postby Kitedougiefresh » Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:57 pm

I fly the Apollo wing most of the season and like you, it takes some time to adjust to it. I crashed for the first 20 minutes before I started getting some long runs. I have a Pulsion 18 and it will be interesting to see if i can make the 2 work together.

gl
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: Flysurfer Peak 4 8 and 11, Concept Air Smart, Water Smart, Pulsion, Firefly and Wave kites. Slingshot foil boards and foils, North Nugget

Postby gl » Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:39 am

About 11 or 12 knots I change to a smaller kite when using the large foils with the 12 metre. I am not sure how low I can go but I would guess around 8 knots. I think it will tough to use the 99 with the 18 metre Pulsion unless it is really light. Maybe the slower foil will stop you from getting overpowered as fast. At least you should be able to get up on foil in really light wind. I will have to try the 84 with the 12 in really light winds. I am sure if I can get up on the board I will be able to go. I was surprised how little power the wind in Florida provided. I could not kite in wind speeds that I had no trouble with at home in cooler air.

PugetSoundKiter
Frequent Poster
Style: Wake TT, Strapless Surfboard, Landboard
Gear: Cabrinha, Ocean Rodeo, Slingshot, Naish, North, Pansh, Ozone, HQ, Peter Lynn

Postby PugetSoundKiter » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:22 pm

Kitedougiefresh wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:34 pm
It is getting to be the low wind season here in Florida which is when I transition over to my Infinity 99. It takes me some time to get used to all the lift but at 105KG it is amazing that I can make it work with a Peak 8 m in a solid 8MPH. I also like how slow I can go once I am up and foiling. I was curious to see if anyone else uses it and how they are making out with it.
Hi KDF - Seen several Wind/Wing-Surfer videos using the Infinity99 but none with a kite. Would be interested to see how you get started and what it looks like going so slow. Few questions:

A. Do you start using the winger method of kneel to stand top of a big board or kiter method of getting the board & foil tilted?

B. What board do you use?

C. Do you use foot straps or hooks or strapless or ?

D. What length mast (15"/38cm, 18"/46cm, 24"/61cm, 28"/71cm, 35.5"/90cm or ?)

E. What size fuselage (Short/610mm or Long/782)?

F. What mast position on the Switch Fuselage (Forward or Back)?

G. Which size stabilizer (42cm/Top Mount or 48cm/Bottom Mount)?

Also interested what the high end wind using your peak8 with the Infinity99 probably is and, if it would then work in a little higher wind with a smaller kite in more wind?

I'm 90kg but ride in cold conditions with a 5mm wetsuit + life jacket + other wet gear... is probably near your weight in sunny Florida wearing shorts.

Kitedougiefresh
Medium Poster
Sarasota Florida.
Peak 4 8 m
Pulsion 18M
Sonic 2 11M
Sonic 2 21M
Soul V2 15M

Postby Kitedougiefresh » Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:41 pm

Kitedougiefresh wrote:

Hi KDF - Seen several Wind/Wing-Surfer videos using the Infinity99 but none with a kite. Would be interested to see how you get started and what it looks like going so slow. Few questions:

A. Do you start using the winger method of kneel to stand top of a big board or kiter method of getting the board & foil tilted?
Kiter method

B. What board do you use? SS Alien Air with the Rasta colors

C. Do you use foot straps or hooks or strapless or ? I use a foot hook up front and a strap in the back

D. What length mast (15"/38 cm, 18"/46 cm, 24"/61 cm, 28"/71 cm, 35.5"/90 cm or ?) 90 cm cut down slightly because I had a screw shear off

E. What size fuselage (Short/610 mm or Long/782)? Long

F. What mast position on the Switch Fuselage (Forward or Back)? I ride with it back as far as possible

G. Which size stabilizer (42 cm/Top Mount or 48 cm/Bottom Mount)? 48 cm

Also interested what the high-end wind using your peak8 with the Infinity99 probably is and, if it would then work in a little higher wind with a smaller kite in more wind?
Probably 12-13… If I have that much then I will go back to riding the Apollo(633 Clone).

For me the sensation of riding so slow is very, very cool when I am in that mood. It allows me to look around, look down and truly enjoy being out there. It is so physically easy. But with the wing being so big I do find that I have to manhandle it around a little more, but it is surprisingly nimble. I am going to try it at some point with someone's wing board that I can stand up on and see what kind of low wind I can ride in then. Since at my weight it all comes down to getting my butt out of the water.
I feel at times I am only going 3-5knots.

I'm 90 kg but ride in cold conditions with a 5 mm wetsuit + life jacket + other wet gear... is probably near your weight in sunny Florida wearing shorts.

PugetSoundKiter
Frequent Poster
Style: Wake TT, Strapless Surfboard, Landboard
Gear: Cabrinha, Ocean Rodeo, Slingshot, Naish, North, Pansh, Ozone, HQ, Peter Lynn

Postby PugetSoundKiter » Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:15 pm

Kitedougiefresh wrote:

Kiter method

B. What board do you use? SS Alien Air with the Rasta colors

C. Do you use foot straps or hooks or strapless or ? I use a foot hook up front and a strap in the back

D. What length mast (15"/38 cm, 18"/46 cm, 24"/61 cm, 28"/71 cm, 35.5"/90 cm or ?) 90 cm cut down slightly because I had a screw shear off

E. What size fuselage (Short/610 mm or Long/782)? Long

F. What mast position on the Switch Fuselage (Forward or Back)? I ride with it back as far as possible

G. Which size stabilizer (42 cm/Top Mount or 48 cm/Bottom Mount)? 48 cm

Also interested what the high-end wind using your peak8 with the Infinity99 probably is and, if it would then work in a little higher wind with a smaller kite in more wind? Probably 12-13… If I have that much then I will go back to riding the Apollo(633 Clone).

For me the sensation of riding so slow is very, very cool when I am in that mood. It allows me to look around, look down and truly enjoy being out there. It is so physically easy. But with the wing being so big I do find that I have to manhandle it around a little more, but it is surprisingly nimble. I am going to try it at some point with someone's wing board that I can stand up on and see what kind of low wind I can ride in then. Since at my weight it all comes down to getting my butt out of the water. I feel at times I am only going 3-5knots.

I'm 90 kg but ride in cold conditions with a 5 mm wetsuit + life jacket + other wet gear... is probably near your weight in sunny Florida wearing shorts.
Might ask one of my winger friends if I can borrow an infinity99 to experience the slow ride 8)

Kitedougiefresh
Medium Poster
Sarasota Florida.
Peak 4 8 m
Pulsion 18M
Sonic 2 11M
Sonic 2 21M
Soul V2 15M

Postby Kitedougiefresh » Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:24 pm

Plan on a totally different feeling especially on the water start. You will be foiling immediately. I can't ride the thing for usually the first 15-30 minutes. I ride with the mast behind the wing.

bkkite
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Oyster Bay
Favorite Beaches: Dakhla
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR5 15m , xlite 12m, Nexus 2 9m, XR5 7m

Core Fusion 139, Slingshot Celero 5’8, Slingshot Dwarfcraft 110cm with a Hover Glide Foil and Apollo 60 front wing

Postby bkkite » Mon May 03, 2021 3:21 am

I just added a Manta 76 ( same as the slingshot infinity 76) to my hover glide setup and so far I love it. It’s more stable and you can go quite slow, though I’m assuming not as slow as the 99.

I’m still riding XRs on foil so I can’t drop down in size that much. Thinking of moving to Nexus 2s or maybe an Xlite
These users thanked the author bkkite for the post:
Kitedougiefresh (Mon May 03, 2021 6:29 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Hydrofoil”