downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: One Strut Kites comparison

Postby downunder » Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:27 pm

Except,

airush Ultra beats all of them ;)

Yes, Im biased, but I can and I DO outjump many with Ultra v2 9m. We talking 25kn plus.
Ive never seen anyone jumping any good height with above listed kites. Actually any heights.

Which means Utra is also good for TT as well as for foiling.

D.
These users thanked the author downunder for the post:
Coloradokiter (Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:20 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:28 pm

jatem wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:48 pm
If you're swimming long distances, why would you want to drag a LEI? At least you can roll up a peak4 and put it on your board or in a backpack for the paddle back, and I presume you wear a pfd.
It makes total sense.

Apparently he can not ride close to shore, like most of us, maybe too low water or no free wind.

And I assume it is not offshore wind.

In these conditions I also, no doubt at all, will choose a light LEI.
In fact I sometimes do it if winter, where even being quite close to shore can be a challenge if below the freezing point and the wind suddenly drops.

With a LEI, you just sit on your board, and let the LEI drag you even if ever so slowly, ashore.

Also, the very fact that you GOT some buoancy from the kite, is nice, with the smaller boards we use today.

Least but not last, EVERYONE can see you are down, if it goes really wrong, having a LEI with strut(s) - not possible with a downed foil kite.

Many ups for the LEI.

Agree though, that foil kites can hang quite extreme, when wind goes down - but if TOO light, they are horrible to self rescue, compared to a LEI as these are simply a bliss to either have them drag you ashore, or swim on your board with no drag really, if wind almost zero.

8) Peter
These users thanked the author Peter_Frank for the post:
airsail (Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:05 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

jatem
Medium Poster
Local Beach: NZ
Style: Foil
Gear: J Shapes Pocket Board and Prone Board
Axis ART 999 foil with ultrashort fuse and HA 400 tail
Flysurfer Peak4 in 3m, 4m, 5m
Tow boogie

Postby jatem » Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:25 am

Pocket foil boards are a risky proposition for situations when you might need to self rescue, recently I've been using my 5' prone foil board when going further from shore. The low end water starts are a lot better as well. A buoyant board and a pfd can make a big difference.

elguapo
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: pattaya
Gear: ..
Has thanked: 0

Postby elguapo » Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:55 pm

sorry, off subject..

but is important to note that self rescue with a foil kite is COMPLETELY different that a self rescue with a LEI.

i prefer riding a tiny pocketboards... usually with a kite i may not be able relaunch

if i get an equipment malfunction.. and kite goes crashing into the surf...
it is ok..
i just sit on board. calmly roll lines. pack my kite....and then SWIM to shore (with kite in a compression bag between my chest and board).
not a big deal
for the OP..
any lightweight kite will work well foiling.

that includes the alpha..and the ultra..and zero struts (and probably the 3 strut roams too)

i've owned and sold a boxer..and ridden the mono.
..wasnt impressed by either. (both ride "heavy".. imo, a level below the ultras and alphas)
i know nothing of the Cabrinha Contra

vitaum
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Weight: 70kg
Local Beach: São Paulo - Brazil
Style: freeride
Gear: cabrinha contra 9 and 11m 2021, sabfoil moses 590-330 with a naish hover 130 foil board

Postby vitaum » Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:21 pm

rquintella wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:57 am
Vitaum,

I have a Mono 13. And I’m ok foiler, probably similar level to you.

I like the kite however the wind range is too short, I get over powered too easy. And being over powered in a one strut is not fun because the kite has less structure than a regular kite and does not behave great when over powered.

If I was going to buy it again I would not go higher than 11m for the 1 strut. I bought the mono because my other kites are duotone, with that logic I would probably go with the Contra if I was on your shoes to stay under Cabrinha.

I was in a similar situation to yours. I had Rebels that I just sold and replaced with wave kites, Neo.

If I was on your shoes I would sell your switchblades, get a drifter and keep the contra 13. I think with a 9 drifter you could go out in really light wind. And if the 9 is not enough you have the 13 contra.

Abraços de outro brasileiro
Fala RQuintella! Bom ver um brasileiro por aqui! haha

The conclusion is that I shouldn´t buy a one strut kite and just keep my contra 13m 3 struts, because a 11m one strut won´t give me much better low end and the short wind range of one strut kites will kill the benefit... right?

For stronger winds I am thinking about getting a 9m drifter and test the difference before selling my other switchblades...

Thanks a lot for your opinion, I think you have/had pretty much the same questions that I have right now!

vitaum
Rare Poster
Gear: cabrinha contra 9 and 11m 2021, sabfoil moses 590-330 with a naish hover 130 foil board

Postby vitaum » Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:21 pm

downunder wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:27 pm
Except,

airush Ultra beats all of them ;)

Yes, Im biased, but I can and I DO outjump many with Ultra v2 9m. We talking 25kn plus.
Ive never seen anyone jumping any good height with above listed kites. Actually any heights.

Which means Utra is also good for TT as well as for foiling.

D.
Good to know, sometimes I can see some used Airush selling around here, will pay more attention
Thanks!

vitaum
Rare Poster

Postby vitaum » Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:25 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:28 pm
jatem wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:48 pm
If you're swimming long distances, why would you want to drag a LEI? At least you can roll up a peak4 and put it on your board or in a backpack for the paddle back, and I presume you wear a pfd.
It makes total sense.

Apparently he can not ride close to shore, like most of us, maybe too low water or no free wind.

And I assume it is not offshore wind.

In these conditions I also, no doubt at all, will choose a light LEI.
In fact I sometimes do it if winter, where even being quite close to shore can be a challenge if below the freezing point and the wind suddenly drops.

With a LEI, you just sit on your board, and let the LEI drag you even if ever so slowly, ashore.

Also, the very fact that you GOT some buoancy from the kite, is nice, with the smaller boards we use today.

Least but not last, EVERYONE can see you are down, if it goes really wrong, having a LEI with strut(s) - not possible with a downed foil kite.

Many ups for the LEI.

Agree though, that foil kites can hang quite extreme, when wind goes down - but if TOO light, they are horrible to self rescue, compared to a LEI as these are simply a bliss to either have them drag you ashore, or swim on your board with no drag really, if wind almost zero.

8) Peter
I usually foil in a lake right in the middle of São Paulo (big city), which has the worst wind possible: gusty, very variable and very light... But usually the problem is that it ranges from 10 knots to less than 4...
So what I do is I self rescue, and as you said, I use the LEI kite as a sail to go to one of the shores.
Thanks a lot for your opinion!

vitaum
Rare Poster

Postby vitaum » Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:27 pm

elguapo wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:55 pm
sorry, off subject..

but is important to note that self rescue with a foil kite is COMPLETELY different that a self rescue with a LEI.

i prefer riding a tiny pocketboards... usually with a kite i may not be able relaunch

if i get an equipment malfunction.. and kite goes crashing into the surf...
it is ok..
i just sit on board. calmly roll lines. pack my kite....and then SWIM to shore (with kite in a compression bag between my chest and board).
not a big deal
for the OP..
any lightweight kite will work well foiling.

that includes the alpha..and the ultra..and zero struts (and probably the 3 strut roams too)

i've owned and sold a boxer..and ridden the mono.
..wasnt impressed by either. (both ride "heavy".. imo, a level below the ultras and alphas)
i know nothing of the Cabrinha Contra
thanks man!... seems to match other guys that I asked... alpha always being cited as the best by everyone that tested all of them, also the ultra as a close second

wheat
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Local Beach: Clinton Lake, Lawrence, Kansas
Style: Foil
Gear: 5.5m Cloud, 8m SST, 12m Gong Strutless, 633 Moses, 91cm Mast

Postby wheat » Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:23 am

vitaum wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:43 am
wheat wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:39 pm
The peak 4 ... This is a good answer if you have a large hydrofoil, 1000-1200+ cm2, aren't racing fast speeds and not jumping.
I have a 590-330 moses, not exactly light wind but I weight 70kg. Thanks for the advice! Will try to loose my fear of foil kites
Thanks for sharing that you are riding the 590 Moses foil. I believe that is about 650 cm2. I am on the Moses 633, 1250cm2. I would not buy a peak 4 without a demo in that case. I think the area and power requirements are very different.

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Postby Foil » Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:28 am

the Alpha v1 was my choice after getting a demo on most of the 1 struts, bar far the easiest to relaunch, and by far the best lei 1 strut kite at just staying up there and hover in the light airs,
now I have only freeride foil kites, chrono and hyperlinks, if I was not into boosting then the Alpha would be back in my quiver of kites, the Alpha will not jump thats its only downside, and the 10mtr is the peach from the bunch, although the 12 packs a better get up and go punch it will flutter a tiny bit outside its upper wind range, but if your light and on a big 1200 size wing then good to get the 10mtr first and work it in the lulls, which is easy as it just so light on the bar, should be a few secondhand by now, as I remember they were not cheap, also not the most expensive

Return to “Hydrofoil”