One Strut Kites comparison

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
vitaum
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Weight: 70kg
Local Beach: São Paulo - Brazil
Style: freeride
Gear: cabrinha contra 9 and 11m 2021, sabfoil moses 590-330 with a naish hover 130 foil board
Brand Affiliation: None

One Strut Kites comparison

Postby vitaum » Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:03 pm

Hi guys, I ve looking all over internet for one strut kites comparisons, but it is really hard to find one. I read some reviews from you guys here, but wanted something updated.
I know that most of you use foil kites, but I won´t consider those. Where I go foiling here, wind sometimes just disappear and I end up swimming for long distances, so a LEI will definetely be needed.
Strutless kites are very rare here in brazil (I can only see used slingshots ufos sometimes for sale), but I won´t consider those as well.
So I ended with only these 4 options:
- Duotone Mono
- Naish Boxer
- Ozone Alpha
- Cabrinha Contra one strut
How do they compare?
And what are the compromises of having a one strut kite (comparing to a light wind 3 struts)? Just wind range and flutter at top end? Which one of those have the least of those compromises?
I am leaning towards the cabrinha contra one strut, just because I am used to cabrinha kites right now (I have a cabrinha contra 3 struts 13m, switchblade 9 and 7m)
Last question: should I consider a wave kite such as cabrinha drifter?
Thanks guys!

vitaum
Rare Poster
Gear: cabrinha contra 9 and 11m 2021, sabfoil moses 590-330 with a naish hover 130 foil board

Re: One Strut Kites comparison

Postby vitaum » Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:05 pm

Ah, I am a beginner foiler, still learning my first gybes and I am not interested in super advanced riding skills like freestyling or ultra speed racing

jatem
Medium Poster
Local Beach: NZ
Style: Foil
Gear: J Shapes Pocket Board and Prone Board
Axis ART 999 foil with ultrashort fuse and HA 400 tail
Flysurfer Peak4 in 3m, 4m, 5m
Tow boogie

Postby jatem » Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:48 pm

If you're swimming long distances, why would you want to drag a LEI? At least you can roll up a peak4 and put it on your board or in a backpack for the paddle back, and I presume you wear a pfd.
These users thanked the author jatem for the post (total 2):
wheat (Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:39 pm) • vitaum (Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:44 am)
Rating: 6.06%

wheat
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Local Beach: Clinton Lake, Lawrence, Kansas
Style: Foil
Gear: 5.5m Cloud, 8m SST, 12m Gong Strutless, 633 Moses, 91cm Mast

Postby wheat » Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:39 pm

For "surf, light powered" foilboard riding, how I stack up kites.
4. Your current twin tip kites, these might fall out of the air in light conditions.
3. Three strut surf kites
2. Strutless, single strut, or light fabric kites
1. Single skin, foil kites, flysurfer peak4.

I read your comment that you need inflatable kite because the wind drops to near nothing and the kite falls-> my answer would be choose a kite that can stays in the air in near nothing wind. The peak 4 is this kite for me. A peak can be flown in 4 knots/mph wind...crazy low. The peak 4 thread in the foil kite sub forum on this page is 2200 posts. This is a good answer if you have a large hydrofoil, 1000-1200+ cm2, aren't racing fast speeds and not jumping.

I like my board riding Maui and gong strutless kites. They are good. The ones in your list are newer and probably better.
These users thanked the author wheat for the post:
vitaum (Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:44 am)
Rating: 3.03%

elguapo
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: pattaya
Gear: ..
Has thanked: 0

Postby elguapo » Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:57 pm

out of those 3..
i'd pick the ozone.

...just wait for the new version.
These users thanked the author elguapo for the post:
vitaum (Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:44 am)
Rating: 3.03%

windybrit
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 69
Local Beach: AAO
Favorite Beaches: Isle de la Madelaine, Isle Lameque........ anywhere I can get water time
Style: awkward
Gear: Slingsht UFO 5 & 8 m
Airush Ultra 12
Cabrinha Moto 7 & 9 , Best TS 6m
OR Jester, Dwarfcraft w Fusion 950 Foil

Postby windybrit » Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:45 am

vitaum wrote: Hi guys, I ve looking all over internet for one strut kites comparisons, but it is really hard to find one. I read some reviews from you guys here, but wanted something updated.
I know that most of you use foil kites, but I won´t consider those. Where I go foiling here, wind sometimes just disappear and I end up swimming for long distances, so a LEI will definetely be needed.
Strutless kites are very rare here in brazil (I can only see used slingshots ufos sometimes for sale), but I won´t consider those as well.
- Duotone Mono
- Naish Boxer
- Ozone Alpha
How do they compare?
And what are the compromises of having a one strut kite (comparing to a light wind 3 struts)? Just wind range and flutter at top end? Which one of those have the least of those compromises?
I am leaning towards the cabrinha contra one strut, just because I am used to cabrinha kites right now (I have a cabrinha contra 3 struts 13m, switchblade 9 and 7m)
Thanks guys!
I’d add the 1 strut Core Xlite (? ) / and also the Gong Unik to the list ......... the first cos I have other Cores and they are decent, the second cos they’re cheap......... but chancey as there are few reviews.

vitaum
Rare Poster

Postby vitaum » Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:43 am

wheat wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:39 pm
For "surf, light powered" foilboard riding, how I stack up kites.
4. Your current twin tip kites, these might fall out of the air in light conditions.
3. Three strut surf kites
2. Strutless, single strut, or light fabric kites
1. Single skin, foil kites, flysurfer peak4.

I read your comment that you need inflatable kite because the wind drops to near nothing and the kite falls-> my answer would be choose a kite that can stays in the air in near nothing wind. The peak 4 is this kite for me. A peak can be flown in 4 knots/mph wind...crazy low. The peak 4 thread in the foil kite sub forum on this page is 2200 posts. This is a good answer if you have a large hydrofoil, 1000-1200+ cm2, aren't racing fast speeds and not jumping.

I like my board riding Maui and gong strutless kites. They are good. The ones in your list are newer and probably better.
I have a 590-330 moses, not exactly light wind but I weight 70kg. Thanks for the advice! Will try to loose my fear of foil kites
Last edited by vitaum on Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

vitaum
Rare Poster

Postby vitaum » Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:44 am

elguapo wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:57 pm
out of those 3..
i'd pick the ozone.

...just wait for the new version.
Some friends told me the same, that the ozone alpha is the Best Single strut. I never used an ozone kite before, but will try one as soon as i can. Thanks!

vitaum
Rare Poster

Postby vitaum » Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:46 am

windybrit wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:45 am
vitaum wrote: Hi guys, I ve looking all over internet for one strut kites comparisons, but it is really hard to find one. I read some reviews from you guys here, but wanted something updated.
- Duotone Mono
- Naish Boxer
- Ozone Alpha
How do they compare?
Thanks guys!
I’d add the 1 strut Core Xlite (? ) / and also the Gong Unik to the list ......... the first cos I have other Cores and they are decent, the second cos they’re cheap......... but chancey as there are few reviews.
Thanks, I ll look for the xlite! I ve never seen a gong kite here in brazil, hopefully one day

rquintella
Rare Poster
Local Beach: NY area
Gear: North Rebel, Liquid Force Element

Postby rquintella » Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:57 am

Vitaum,

I have a Mono 13. And I’m ok foiler, probably similar level to you.

I like the kite however the wind range is too short, I get over powered too easy. And being over powered in a one strut is not fun because the kite has less structure than a regular kite and does not behave great when over powered.

If I was going to buy it again I would not go higher than 11m for the 1 strut. I bought the mono because my other kites are duotone, with that logic I would probably go with the Contra if I was on your shoes to stay under Cabrinha.

I was in a similar situation to yours. I had Rebels that I just sold and replaced with wave kites, Neo.

If I was on your shoes I would sell your switchblades, get a drifter and keep the contra 13. I think with a 9 drifter you could go out in really light wind. And if the 9 is not enough you have the 13 contra.

Abraços de outro brasileiro

Return to “Hydrofoil”