Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Learning with an inflatable or splitboard + kite

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
romian
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Style: Far from stylish
Gear: Airush Ultra 10, Slingshot UFO 7/5/4, F-One Carbon foilboard, Kitesyndikat carbon split foilboard, Moses W633/W679/S483/S425
Brand Affiliation: None

Learning with an inflatable or splitboard + kite

Postby romian » Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:32 pm

I´ve been kiting with a TT for many years, and now I feel that learning to hydrofoil would be a nice challenge.

I travel quite a bit, and in the nearest future a decent amount of my kiting days will be during trips (by plane), so I´m ruminating about learning on an inflatable board on lightwind days and avoid airline expensive fees. I travel with a split twintip, too. If foiling is something I get hooked to (very likely) I will buy a hard board for sure, but in this early stage I think an inflatable would be more convenient.

I´m 55 y.o., 155 lb / 70 Kg. I´ll be riding in onshore choppy at home and mainly flat when travelling.

I´ve found two options so far:

INDIANA KITE FOIL 125
Length: 4’1 |125 cm
Width: 19’’ | 48 cm
Thickness: 2’’ | 5 cm
Volume: 25 L
Weight: 4.8 kg
Est. Rider Weight: 50-110 kg
Price: 750 €

GONG HIPE
Length: 4’8 |142 cm
Width: 21’’ 5/8 | 55 cm
Thickness: 3’’ |7 cm
Volume: 48 L
Weight: 5.9 kg
Price: 500 €

I find F-One Rocket Air more SUP / wingfoil oriented, too big, and I don´t like te fact that it doesn´t have holes for straps. From my experience when learning on a directional, high volume and thick rails are not good for waterstart in deep waters, and I think front straps can make a difference for setting a board with lots of buoyancy in the right position.

I´ve seen a couple videos from @gmb13 for Indiana and one from @okkiteboarder reviewing the Gong Hipe 5"1' as a wingfoil board.

Do someone know about other similar models? Do someone has any real experience kiting / learning with this kind of inflatable boards?

Indiana kite foil is EUR 250 (50%) more expensive than Gong´s model, so I´m trying to make up my mind about which model would suit better for a 70 kg foil beginner, smaller and more expensive Indiana or cheaper and bigger Gong. Will 25 l. be too small for me? Will 48 l. be too big?

The Gong Hipe comes with a bag 95 cm long. It seems there´s kind of a plate on the board´s back that covers 2/3 of the board (95 cm). I fear that the board can´t be folded into a regular suitcase.

From @gmb13 video, it seems that the Indiana 125 folds in 2 in the middle, so that´s around 62 cm folded. FIts in a suitcase.

Advices on foil setups will be appreciated, too. Of course, I´m open to compatible hydrofoils from other brands. From my research, I think a 65 cm / 24" mast would be OK for me (and will fit in a regular suitcase), but I´m a bit lost when thinking of wings and stabs.

Thank you in advance.
Last edited by romian on Mon May 03, 2021 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10

Re: Learning with an inflatable board + kite

Postby Slappysan » Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:26 pm

These users thanked the author Slappysan for the post:
romian (Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:11 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Postby Foil » Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:53 am

The small indiana board looks and feels very good, I was on the beach when gunnar (gmb 13) was there with it, solid as a rock and light enough, just ask him if it will fit in your flight cases to be sure, it looks good, and will do the job you want it for, pair it with a carbon mast that will fit in your luggage, around 80cm would be good, 70cm would be very good, for easier learning (not easy by the way, none are easy!) go for the moses 633, yes its not cheap, but its super light, so is the best mast for it especially the 71cm moses, this will be a great combination for your air travels where weight is important, and it will work very well for you, the little bit of excess volume might also be a help whilst your learning.
These users thanked the author Foil for the post:
romian (Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:17 am)

romian
Rare Poster
Gear: Airush Ultra 10, Slingshot UFO 7/5/4, F-One Carbon foilboard, Kitesyndikat carbon split foilboard, Moses W633/W679/S483/S425

Postby romian » Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:07 am

Slappysan wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:26 pm
I'd get a split over a blow up:
https://nobilekiteboarding.com/products ... split-foil
Yes, it´s another option I´ve thought of, but I find some cons:

Expensive: EUR 1,300
Length of each part: 90 cm (does not fit in a regular suitcase).

There are several reviews on the Infinity that suggest it´s not beginner-friendly and show some quality / durability issues.

I found another split foilboards:

RL BOARDS SPLIT HYDROFOIL
Length: 130 cm (65 cm folded, fits in a suitcase)
Width: 44 cm
Weight: 4 Kg
Price: 549 €

From the pictures, this one is quite thin, so not sure if it´s a good option for a beginner. The split systems lok like the one used by Kitelement splitboards, a central joint with bolts.

RL BOARDS SPLIT HYDROFOIL VOLUME
Length: 128 cm
Width: 45 cm
Weight: 4 Kg
Volume: 28 l.
Price: 769 €

The split system is different, two cylindric pieces that go into the other part of the board. Would this resist the nose dives when learning? :?:

Not much information about this brand, though.
Last edited by romian on Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

romian
Rare Poster

Postby romian » Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:31 am

Foil wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:53 am
The small indiana board looks and feels very good, I was on the beach when gunnar (gmb 13) was there with it, solid as a rock and light enough, just ask him if it will fit in your flight cases to be sure, it looks good, and will do the job you want it for, pair it with a carbon mast that will fit in your luggage, around 80cm would be good, 70cm would be very good, for easier learning (not easy by the way, none are easy!) go for the moses 633, yes its not cheap, but its super light, so is the best mast for it especially the 71cm moses, this will be a great combination for your air travels where weight is important, and it will work very well for you, the little bit of excess volume might also be a help whilst your learning.
Very useful info!

Much appreciated, Foil.

romian
Rare Poster

Postby romian » Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:33 pm

For the record, another good-looking full carbon option:

NEWIND FOILBOARD 127 SPLIT
Length: 125 cm
Width: 46 cm
Weight: ??
Volume: ??
Price: 1.245 €

bkkite
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Oyster Bay
Favorite Beaches: Dakhla
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR5 15m , xlite 12m, Nexus 2 9m, XR5 7m

Core Fusion 139, Slingshot Celero 5’8, Slingshot Dwarfcraft 110cm with a Hover Glide Foil and Apollo 60 front wing

Postby bkkite » Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:52 pm

I foil on an Nobile infinity split foil and it works great with a slingshot hover glide

Couldn’t figure out how to embed images :)

But here’s the setup
https://imgur.com/gallery/5ZwEin5

It packs into a standard check in bag.
These users thanked the author bkkite for the post:
romian (Sat May 01, 2021 10:19 am)

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:13 pm

Would also opt for split over inflatable. Inflatable would take up more space and likely weight marginally more. A split board like the one above looks like a great travel option.
These users thanked the author jumptheshark for the post:
romian (Sat May 01, 2021 10:19 am)

romian
Rare Poster

Postby romian » Sat May 01, 2021 10:24 am

The need of a special pump is something to take into account, you guys are right.

Regarding the Nobile Infinity split, it´s a nice travel setup for sure, but is not the lack of volume an issue for a total foil beginner?

bkkite
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Oyster Bay
Favorite Beaches: Dakhla
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR5 15m , xlite 12m, Nexus 2 9m, XR5 7m

Core Fusion 139, Slingshot Celero 5’8, Slingshot Dwarfcraft 110cm with a Hover Glide Foil and Apollo 60 front wing

Postby bkkite » Sat May 01, 2021 1:49 pm

I learned on it no problem, but I also learned to ride it strapless as a surf board first. It’s a good light wind board on its own, it’s a bit of an awkward surfboard in waves but usable when traveling.

As for foiling , the edge does sink in a bit, but I find it’s just enough that it’s still convenient to get your feet up there before water starting.

Happy to film it when I go out later today and share

Return to “Hydrofoil”