Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Learning with an inflatable or splitboard + kite

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
romian
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Style: Far from stylish
Gear: Airush Ultra 10, Slingshot UFO 7/5/4, F-One Carbon foilboard, Kitesyndikat carbon split foilboard, Moses W633/W679/S483/S425
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Learning with an inflatable or splitboard + kite

Postby romian » Mon May 03, 2021 3:53 pm

Well... this is my first option, but in 118 cm instead of 128.

Just wrote the shaper about shipping and other questions.

papasmerf
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Weight: 195
Local Beach: west coast
Style: lawn mower
Gear: Slingshot, North, moses, flysurfers, some ozone again, and 17 years of accumulated kite stuff
Brand Affiliation: I like slingshot and north. good folks

Re: Learning with an inflatable board + kite

Postby papasmerf » Tue May 04, 2021 5:22 am

romian wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 10:24 am
The need of a special pump is something to take into account, you guys are right.

Regarding the Nobile Infinity split, it´s a nice travel setup for sure, but is not the lack of volume an issue for a total foil beginner?
i learned on a similiar very low volume board and it was quite easy,,, it does affect you later on when you get a "real" board,,,at least for me it did.. i sort of had to relearn all over. but i also changed foil set up as well,so basically new board and new foil, so maybe it won't be as bad if you keep the same foil.
These users thanked the author papasmerf for the post:
romian (Tue May 04, 2021 7:51 am)
Rating: 3.03%

gbrungra
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Stinky's, San Diego, CA, USA, and Nantucket, MA, USA
Gear: Griffin 17m TRX 2014, Cabrihna 12m Vector 2014, TTs, Camet 160 and SS Hoverglide
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Learning with an inflatable or splitboard + kite

Postby gbrungra » Sat May 28, 2022 10:16 am

I have a Gong HIPE 4'8". I went with inflatable vs split with the idea that the setup could double as a prone FoilSurf travel setup.
I've only tried it once. It was my first time flying a new kite, and first time attempting to strapless waterstart, so not a fair test.
I missed the hard-edge rails of my rigid foilboard when attempting to ride on the surface.
The thickness of the board quickly tired out my forearms when upwind board-dragging away from my beach.

the good news is that the board does pack down pretty small, so I'm confident I will be able to travel with it with a standard sized checked bag.
The included Gong travel bag is junk. It's one size for their entire range of HIPE boards, so it's huge for the 4'8". I won't use it for travel.

So far, not ideal, but this season I need to work out foot straps (would love front foot hooks, but not enough strap inserts).

Return to “Hydrofoil”