Core Xlite size recommendation for beginner foiler

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
bkkite
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Oyster Bay
Favorite Beaches: Dakhla
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR5 15m , xlite 12m, Nexus 2 9m, XR5 7m

Core Fusion 139, Slingshot Celero 5’8, Slingshot Dwarfcraft 110cm with a Hover Glide Foil and Apollo 60 front wing
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Core Xlite size recommendation for beginner foiler

Postby bkkite » Sun May 23, 2021 4:09 am

Texaskiter wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 2:52 pm
I ride and prefer Xlites in the surf for light wind foiling. Love them. Have ridden many 1 strut and no strut kites. I would say the Xlites are maybe less grungy than some other brands but they have a much greater range. Particularly the top end. They are also more reactive in my opinion to bar movements. In the surf I do a lot of one hand riding so that bar sensitivity is important to me. They also drift incredibly well. I am 200 lbs. the 9m is my money kite with an 800-1200cm2 front wing. Full disclosure- I do loop start the kite in low wind. You need to master that technique. I also have XRs, and while fine to foil with, they are heavy so drop out of the sky in super light wind. I ride a 7M Section in the surf when the wind is 17mph+. To the points everyone has made, I think you need to start with the 12m. I expect you will add a 9 or 10 down the road. Stick with the Xlite. Happy kiting!1
Where in TX? I grew up in Houston, and got to ride in TX and Galveston a few times.

So yeah, just had my 15m XR fall out of the sky on me today... and had a fun swim. It makes sense that the xlite will stay in the air much easier than XRs, I just didn’t know about the low end and how hard it would be to water start on the 12m in the 10-13 mph range? I’ve tried to water start with a downloop on an XR, but they pull so freaking hard I had quite a bit of difficulty.

kiste
Rare Poster
Style: Freestyle, Wakestyle
Gear: Naish Boxer 12m, SS SST 9m, 7m, Duotone Whip CSC, Core SLC Foil, Wingdings...

Postby kiste » Sun May 23, 2021 10:10 pm

I love my Nexus in 10,8,6 for wave and foiling but the 10 does not relaunch in Wind below 10 knots - at least with the standard bar (you cannot do the frontline, back line method). The xlite is also not the best relauncher and has little grunt so I went with the S25 boxer with more grunt in the loop and it relaunches excellent.

I have 86kg and ride in areas where the wind drops totally sometimes and you have to wait for a little gust to relaunch. With steady winds the xlite would maybe have been my choice (with the click bar).

For me the xlite is more suited to the better and less weighted riders.
These users thanked the author kiste for the post:
SMJ (Mon May 24, 2021 3:05 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

JSom
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Weight: 185
Local Beach: Springfield
Gear: Looking for new equipment
Been thanked: 0

Postby JSom » Mon May 24, 2021 1:21 pm

Sounds interesting. I'd like to try this technique in practice. My skills are far from perfect. I am a beginner and just learning to conquer the waves.

kiste
Rare Poster
Gear: Naish Boxer 12m, SS SST 9m, 7m, Duotone Whip CSC, Core SLC Foil, Wingdings...

Postby kiste » Mon May 24, 2021 3:42 pm

JSom wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 1:21 pm
Sounds interesting. I'd like to try this technique in practice. My skills are far from perfect. I am a beginner and just learning to conquer the waves.

First method

SMJ
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2040
Gear: Cabrimha, Core, Flysurfer, Carved, Naish, Duotone, Ocean Rodeo, Slingshot, Liquid Force, Lift, Spleene, Mystic, ION.

Postby SMJ » Mon May 24, 2021 4:39 pm

kiste wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 3:42 pm
First method
kiste,
You can't use that first method with Core kites, since they are High-Y. However, reverse launch and hot-launch are still possible. This is one of the reasons I'm asking about the XLITE, since it can't be re-launched with the opposite front-line technique.

kiste
Rare Poster

Postby kiste » Mon May 24, 2021 8:14 pm

SMJ wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 4:39 pm
kiste wrote:
First method
kiste,
You can't use that first method with Core kites, since they are High-Y. However, reverse launch and hot-launch are still possible. This is one of the reasons I'm asking about the XLITE, since it can't be re-launched with the opposite front-line technique.
SMJ: I already mentioned this by myself because I ride Nexus in 10,8,6 and I hate the relaunch of the 10 below 10 knots ;) And yes, it is not possible with the standard bar, BUT - also for this reason - I bought a Click Bar and with it, you can do it. You can place the spreader on the 6m mark and then you have a direct line to the centre lines and the method works.

But it is still the reason I went for the Boxer in 12m, because it relaunches effortless and also is suitable for that method in very low winds.

bkkite
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Oyster Bay
Favorite Beaches: Dakhla
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR5 15m , xlite 12m, Nexus 2 9m, XR5 7m

Core Fusion 139, Slingshot Celero 5’8, Slingshot Dwarfcraft 110cm with a Hover Glide Foil and Apollo 60 front wing

Postby bkkite » Mon May 24, 2021 9:57 pm

kiste wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 8:14 pm
SMJ wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 4:39 pm
kiste wrote:
First method
kiste,
SMJ: I already mentioned this by myself because I ride Nexus in 10,8,6 and I hate the relaunch of the 10 below 10 knots ;) And yes, it is not possible with the standard bar, BUT - also for this reason - I bought a Click Bar and with it, you can do it. You can place the spreader on the 6m mark and then you have a direct line to the centre lines and the method works.

But it is still the reason I went for the Boxer in 12m, because it relaunches effortless and also is suitable for that method in very low winds.
The main reason I was thinking about the Xlite was because I'm on core and core bars, didn't want to have to spend the money for extra bars.

Jugglajon
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Weight: 100 Pies
Local Beach: Holbox, or wherever I end up.
Favorite Beaches: Clee, Lytham, Holbox, Kappalady, Vella Island, Alankuda, Keros, Long Bay - Turks and Caicos, Rawai, OBX
Style: Foil, surf, freerace, ski, landboard
Gear: Axis Tray 94cm -MIA
Axis 545-MIA, 660 and 1000
Axis 96cm mast -MIA
Moses 633/483 and diy pocket board with C72 mast.
18m Slingshot Phantom
9m Core X Lite
7m Edge V8
6m HK Fury Pro
Axis 136 limited
Airush Sector V3 60
Brand Affiliation: Holbox Kiteboarding school manager

Postby Jugglajon » Fri May 28, 2021 3:13 pm

I've had an x-lite 9m for a year and a half. 100kg and was riding axis 545 660 and 1000 with 94 tray.

Short answer. if you want it for low end and you're a heavier rider Id go bigger than 9m but overall they're great kites for foiling beginners.

My opinion of 9m Xlite -

Solid kite, Great relaunch and amazing for carving waves or downwind moves . Tacks and upwind moves work well but lack lift and glide (but this is also true for other onestrut kites that i've flown). A bit gutless for heavier riders.

Longer answer:-

Things I love about it :-
Relaunch in light winds is the best i've experienced with a LEI. The reverse launch technique works best imho. (The opposite front line technique is possible by pulling the safety line.)
It flies responsively in light winds.
Build quality is excellent.(18 months in and no signs of wear)
Carving and downwind moves are fantastic in waves or flat.
Drift is better than SS Ghost.
Riding larger wings gives me the most benefit with this kite.
The ability to turn the kite off by sheeting out is fantastic better thn SS ghost.
I managed to do around the world for the first time on this kite with 12m lines.

Things that niggle me with this kite.
Although it flies in superlight winds(for an Lei) I like to foil on smaller foils with smaller boards and I find the 9m a little lacking in power at its lowend. If I change to a larger wing this isnt an issue. if i delete the pizza delivery
number from my phone this might also help.
It flies through tacks and 360s just fine but I dont enjoy the feeling or fluidity of my tacks on this kite. I like a kite to lift and glide through the tacks and 360s and I dont get that feeling with the Xlite. I actually love the edge and xr6 for this. Again this comes down to my riding style and foil size.
Angles upwind aren;t what this kite are about.

It crosses over alot with my 6m HK Fury pro from about 12knots and my 18 foil kite covers my lowend so its a bit of a luxury to keep this kite. I mainly use it on wavey days or downwinders as it has such good drift.
These users thanked the author Jugglajon for the post (total 2):
bkkite (Fri May 28, 2021 4:56 pm) • SMJ (Fri May 28, 2021 9:23 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

Return to “Hydrofoil”