ufo fluttering..normal?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
papasmerf
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Weight: 195
Local Beach: west coast
Style: lawn mower
Gear: Slingshot, North, moses, flysurfers, some ozone again, and 17 years of accumulated kite stuff
Brand Affiliation: I like slingshot and north. good folks

Re: ufo fluttering..normal?

Postby papasmerf » Wed May 05, 2021 5:13 am

jumptheshark wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 4:35 am
Not strutless ones!
peaks?

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby jumptheshark » Wed May 05, 2021 12:37 pm

I wasn't being criptic. You asked about flutter on a strutless kite. I posted about flutter on strutless LEI's.

Had clouds for a few years. Had a quiver of single strut that could flutter too and have even taken struts off kites with mixed results regarding flutter. My point was that you have to still feel the rear line tension when you sheet out throwing the kite across the top in transitions. Full slack rear lines and your going to get flutter. Learn to feel that mild tension and you can cut it out almost entirely.

I'm not really understanding your jumping comment?

OT:

Like everyone, I loved the big air phase, but that was quite a while ago now. Next was strapless airs on surfboard and still get a lot of stoke from landing a decent strapless air. Just my taste that I'm not big on the aesthetic of strapped air with a foil. I'm also older (not much wiser) have a long list of injuries and know full well that bigger airs strapped to a foil would eventually cost me.

My foiling kites have never been big jumpers, but get going fast and pull the trigger and even a cloud or Peak can get you up there, they just don't glide much.

I jump all the time foiling... well they are more like hops. I cant get much height with a 4m in 17 knots! Still, steadily working on em and they are a bit bigger every season.

papasmerf
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Slingshot, North, moses, flysurfers, some ozone again, and 17 years of accumulated kite stuff

Postby papasmerf » Sat May 08, 2021 3:33 am

this kite kicks ass. no flutter today,,, perfect! must've been the coriolis effect the other day ( actually, i was over powered the other day but it was my smallest kite.

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby jumptheshark » Sat May 08, 2021 3:38 am

Happens.

toyletbowl
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Olbrich, Governor Nelson, Tenney, Burrows and McDaniels.
Favorite Beaches: Olbrich on SW and McDaniels on a SSW.
Sheboygan when it blows hard on a NE.
Style: Waves, Twin tip and Foilboards.
Gear: Whatever is available.
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, Slingshot, Core, Armstrong, Axis, NP Surf, Ride engine, Mystic. www.kiteridersllc.com
Has thanked: 0

Postby toyletbowl » Sat May 08, 2021 11:46 pm

haha....use the fluttering as an opportunity to keep it form fluttering in the future.

It's all about the bar.
I like to do high speed toeside riding and I'll do a hard heel side turn, but do nothing with the kite until my turn is done, then I'll quickly download the UFO really close to the water.
The kite is now WAY way back in the wind window and has to travel all the way through the wind window to get back up front and I can do this with petty much NO flutter by massaging the bar properly.

Bottom line is that kite will tell you better than most if you are properly trimmed with the bar.
Other kites with struts will let you get away with it, but if it's fluttering, pull the bar in just to the point where it stops.

Hope this helps.

Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com

papasmerf
Very Frequent Poster

Postby papasmerf » Sun May 09, 2021 3:43 am

toyletbowl wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 11:46 pm
haha....use the fluttering as an opportunity to keep it form fluttering in the future.

It's all about the bar.
I like to do high speed toeside riding and I'll do a hard heel side turn, but do nothing with the kite until my turn is done, then I'll quickly download the UFO really close to the water.
The kite is now WAY way back in the wind window and has to travel all the way through the wind window to get back up front and I can do this with petty much NO flutter by massaging the bar properly.

Bottom line is that kite will tell you better than most if you are properly trimmed with the bar.
Other kites with struts will let you get away with it, but if it's fluttering, pull the bar in just to the point where it stops.

Hope this helps.

Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com
i was actually trying to avoid looping the kite down low in the window like that

i just got a 4m ghost for higher winds but someone who i respect says it has same power as 5m ufo,,,so now what, geez

Trent hink
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Weight: 83 kg.
Local Beach: Nokomis beach, Turtle beach, Venice inlet, lido key
Style: Creepy old man
Gear: Peak4, LF, solo, Moses 633 hydrofoil, couple of surfboards, a twintip I made in 2008.
Brand Affiliation: once made an attempt to manufacture and market "Anomaly" twin-tip boards.

Postby Trent hink » Sun May 09, 2021 4:30 am

My experience is that these one and no-strut Leis excel at the bottom end of their usable range.

The low end is very noticeably lower than what you can expect from more conventional designs.

You can use them in more wind, but they are not as sweet.

This is only my limited experience based on trying out a few different one and no strut kites.

The 9 meter ufo I tried was great, but the wind was pretty light when I tried it.

purdyd
Very Frequent Poster

Postby purdyd » Sun May 09, 2021 7:41 pm

papasmerf wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 3:43 am
i was actually trying to avoid looping the kite down low in the window like that

i just got a 4m ghost for higher winds but someone who i respect says it has same power as 5m ufo,,,so now what, geez
The 4m ghost does NOT have the same power as the 5m ufo. The 4m ghost slots in nicely between the 5m and 3m ufo.

But it is not the same as a ufo. It boggles my mind that there is not a 4m ufo.

The beauty of the strutless design is you can truly feather out the kite which is very handy on a wave face.

If I am getting a lot of flutter in turns that is a sign I can go down in size,

I’d rather fly the smaller kite.
These users thanked the author purdyd for the post (total 2):
airsail (Sun May 09, 2021 9:34 pm) • papasmerf (Tue May 11, 2021 4:12 am)
Rating: 6.06%

Return to “Hydrofoil”