A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Cefirmeza
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Weight: 65kg
Local Beach: Ceará - Brazil
Favorite Beaches: Ceará, Brazil
Style: Kitefoil Wingfoil
Gear: Slingshot sst 4m, Airush Ultra 5m, brm cloud 5.5m, Peak4 4m/6m, Duotone Slick 3.5/4.5m
Sabfoil W1000,W800, Lift classic 150
Armstrong SKT3’11 25L
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Used Moses masts

Postby Cefirmeza » Sun May 09, 2021 2:32 pm

I came to the conclusion that is not the flexibility but the mast may be easily ventilating because of the paint and coating coming off.

Does it make sense? How the bad surface of the mast and wings affect the ventilation and stability loss?

elguapo
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: pattaya
Gear: ..
Has thanked: 0

Postby elguapo » Mon May 10, 2021 3:39 pm

the 'longer' moses masts ( havok) i got my hands on was a hand-me-down from a racer..

it rode great for my uses..but it was heavily sanded.

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Postby Foil » Mon May 10, 2021 3:44 pm

Cefirmeza wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 2:32 pm
I came to the conclusion that is not the flexibility but the mast may be easily ventilating because of the paint and coating coming off.

Does it make sense? How the bad surface of the mast and wings affect the ventilation and stability loss?
makes total sense, I have mentioned this fact only in the last week on here in a reply to "adventure logs" about this same issue with his own mast, mine was the same 2 years ago as was my sailing buddies mast, we fixed ours quite easily, took a few hours work but both were back to perfect silent smooth and fast perfection, check my old posts from last week with instructions and information on where to buy the stuff you need to do the repair :thumb:

here is the subject and my information sent to adventure logs--viewtopic.php?f=196&t=2409946
These users thanked the author Foil for the post:
Cefirmeza (Tue May 11, 2021 12:40 am)
Rating: 3.03%

cwood
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Southern Ontario
Gear: Flysurfer
Moses Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: Moses, Flysurfer

Postby cwood » Sun May 23, 2021 2:37 pm

Cefirmeza wrote:

Ventilating masts make all sorts of trouble...if air gets sucked down then you get nasty releases that feel like wings letting go. I ride and boost on race wings and when my mast is out of optimal surface condition it causes nasty releases at speed loading up for boosts...which is a very disconcerting time for it. I use the method below and it works great. I have done the vortex strip but I'm sure you could go without it. I just upgraded to a new mast which is virgin so I am leaving it to see what its like. Moses has upped their factory finish game. Probably sub optimal shiny but I will see what its like.

https://www.riftboards.com/sanding-your-hydrofoil/

airsail
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg
Local Beach: Queens Beach North, Queensland, Australia
Favorite Beaches: Queens North, I don’t travel much
Style: Foiling
Gear: Sonic 3 15mtr, Soul 10 mtr, BRM Clouds 8, 6.2, 4.8, 3.7
Lift, Naish and Levitaz foils
Carbonco and home build boards
Ozone and Duotone wings
Naish Hover 95 foilboard

Postby airsail » Sun May 23, 2021 8:05 pm

I was at the local board manufacturers shed a few days ago. A Foiler had brought in a carbon mast for repair, this one happened to be a Moses. The foil had taken a large impact so no warranty.
The mast looked fine, but on closer inspection has split from just below the plate for about 10 inches. The split was noticeable when you twisted it and you could hear the broken fibres inside crunching. It’s unrepairable.
But from the outside it looks perfect, so take care buying used masts you can’t physically inspect.

BraCuru
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Grzybowo, Kołobrzeg, Polish Baltic Coast
Favorite Beaches: Polish Baltic Beach
Style: foilboarding
Gear: Flysurfer Souls, Moses Hydrofoil, BraCuru Boards
Brand Affiliation: Moses HF

Postby BraCuru » Mon May 24, 2021 8:22 am

airsail wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 8:05 pm
It’s unrepairable.
All carbon work is repairable :idea:

cwood
Very Frequent Poster
Moses Hydrofoil

Postby cwood » Mon May 24, 2021 12:43 pm

cwood wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 2:37 pm
Cefirmeza wrote:

Ventilating masts make all sorts of trouble...if air gets sucked down then you get nasty releases that feel like wings letting go. I ride and boost on race wings and when my mast is out of optimal surface condition it causes nasty releases at speed loading up for boosts...which is a very disconcerting time for it. I use the method below and it works great. I have done the vortex strip but I'm sure you could go without it. I just upgraded to a new mast which is virgin so I am leaving it to see what its like. Moses has upped their factory finish game. Probably sub optimal shiny but I will see what its like.

Rode the shiny new mast yesterday, It will be sanded soon. Silent and smooth but I could feel the comparative drag over my old one.

sonny2727
Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: St Kilda
Gear: Duotone,Kauper, Ozone, Shinn, Flysurfer, Moses, Axis,Slingshot
Reo,Edge,Rebel,R1,
Sonic,Peak4,Soul,
Falcon

Postby sonny2727 » Mon May 24, 2021 12:53 pm

cwood wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 12:43 pm
cwood wrote:
Cefirmeza wrote:

Rode the shiny new mast yesterday, It will be sanded soon. Silent and smooth but I could feel the comparative drag over my old one.
Which mast did you buy..Interested to know since I'm using Moses masts for jumping..

cwood
Very Frequent Poster
Moses Hydrofoil

Postby cwood » Mon May 24, 2021 9:40 pm

sonny2727 wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 12:53 pm
cwood wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 12:43 pm
cwood wrote:

Which mast did you buy..Interested to know since I'm using Moses masts for jumping..
First one was the 101 Vorace....had 1000's of boosts on it. New one is also a 101 just plain Moses branded.

Cefirmeza
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Weight: 65kg
Local Beach: Ceará - Brazil
Favorite Beaches: Ceará, Brazil
Style: Kitefoil Wingfoil
Gear: Slingshot sst 4m, Airush Ultra 5m, brm cloud 5.5m, Peak4 4m/6m, Duotone Slick 3.5/4.5m
Sabfoil W1000,W800, Lift classic 150
Armstrong SKT3’11 25L

Postby Cefirmeza » Wed May 26, 2021 2:23 am

What about the new M82 and M92? Anyone experienced kiting on those stiffer masts?

Return to “Hydrofoil”