Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Is my rear stab cavitating?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
User avatar
Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1250
Joined: Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:18 pm
Local Beach: Punta del Diablo, Uruguay
Favorite Beaches: Durban, SA
Corpus Christi
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Slinghot, Nobile, Zeeko
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 48 times
Been thanked: 155 times
Contact:

Is my rear stab cavitating?

Postby Adventure Logs » Mon May 03, 2021 6:47 pm

So I have the 2019 Moses 633 and my rear stab is pretty worn down towards the wing tips. I've been having an issue every so often where it feels like I hit something and suddenly lose lift which usually throws me off. I'm suspecting the worn stab is cavitating and it may be time to replace and just looking to see if others agree with me. I'm unsure which rear stab I have(out of the country for work and would like to order so it's waiting for me) but I'm looking for suggestions on a replacement if needed. I mainly foil in the waves and would like something good for carving and white water. Opinions and suggestions? Thanks!

=Jason-

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1317
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:44 pm
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: New Brighton- nr Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide lagoon
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough
lake Como (Italy)
Style: hydro foiler since 2017
Gear: Groove Skate 110 custom graphics, 2021 edition
101cm and 91cm SABMoses wood core masts
Moses- 633 and 679 front wings/483stab on 701 fuse
Ozone Hyperlink V1 ultra light 5mtr
Ozone V2 Hyperlink 7mtr + 9mtr
Ozone Chrono V4 foil kite 11mtr, red
Duotone click bar 2020, my own custom made lines
Ozone waterfoil click in bar, my own custom made lines
Core sector 2s bar custom lines made by me
ION B2 seat harness,rope slider, new 2021 stretchy material
massive grin
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 110 times
Been thanked: 274 times

Re: Is my rear stab cavitating?

Postby Foil » Tue May 04, 2021 7:52 am

could be another part of the rig that is causing that to happen, I have the same set up, but have the advantage of owning two full sets, masts fuse front wings and rear stabs, one of my rear stabs is very worn now with completely reshaped wing tips, when I had similar problems as you described, I found it was not my wings at fault, my worn out stab was just as good as my new bench mark one, as I could simply swap them round to find the part not working properly,
it was in fact the mast leading edge,
the surfaces just back from the leading edge, under close examination I could detect a sort of snake skin texture developing due to the original lacquer breaking down, mainly where there is a checkered pattern where the carbon weave is more visible, and also many many pin holes exposed right on the leading edge, this was all sorted with lots of surface work with wet/dry paper over the full length and a complete front edge and side dressing of west epoxy applied with a sponge brush and very fine finishing with wet/dry and final finishing with 3000 grade 3M sponge backed surface finishing rotary pads, perfect results, better than new.
as for stab rear wings with the 633 then I have tried most of the moses ones and at one time believed I had found a better one than the standard 483 recommended one, as the day I used it (the 450 stab) it was very wavy and gusty strong winds, it was so good in the waves, but the next few days the waves were not the main feature the waves were much smaller, board speed was much higher and fully strapped down boosting was in order, it was in these conditions the 450 stab was a disaster, it would crash out each and every time I loaded up hard and fast for a big boost, and this made me try very hard carves at speed and the same thing happened, and as for the other stabs a few of us tried over the months then none worked very well at all, some like the 330 were near impossible to enjoy, stability just disappeared and frustration set in very quickly, the 425 was not good either, but no surprise as I and the others had gone through the alternatives and found the same.
These users thanked the author Foil for the post (total 2):
Adventure Logs (Tue May 04, 2021 8:13 am) • irwe (Tue May 04, 2021 9:13 am)
Rating: 13.33%

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 2973
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:12 pm
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; La Ventana; SPI; Hood River; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9m, SST 4/5/7m, UFO 5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/91/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/695/730/600/637 wings and 310/273/230/425/420 stabilizers, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 3'6" 2019-2020, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot/Moses 80cm alu mast $240. W695 wing, 1200 sq.cm wing, 273 sq.cm stabilizer
.
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 260 times
Been thanked: 382 times

Re: Is my rear stab cavitating?

Postby grigorib » Tue May 04, 2021 5:07 pm

Jason, the 633 usually comes with 483 stabilizer which has wingtips pointed down and those are quite prone to damage. I’ve cracked a couple of those, friends did too. I switched to 450 stabilizer later on - it has winglets pointed up, which don’t run into bottom easily and those also contribute to better yaw stability, yet it needs shimming to preserve foot stance. Also 450 is kind of heavier.

Lately I got to ride RDB 310 sq.cm wave stabilizer which is as large compatible with Moses fuselages, is as large as 483-450, with less drag and doesn’t need shimming so I would recommend it as your new stabilizer.
$250 and it comes with cover
Attachments
FF8C007D-2446-47BD-81FF-B5293DD6B03C.jpeg
BFFEA327-77FD-4D4B-A439-683B149A790C.jpeg
These users thanked the author grigorib for the post:
Adventure Logs (Wed May 05, 2021 9:40 am)
Rating: 6.67%

airsail
Frequent Poster
Posts: 381
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:57 am
Weight: 80kg
Local Beach: Queens Beach North, Queensland, Australia
Favorite Beaches: Queens North, I don’t travel much
Style: Foiling
Gear: Sonic 3 15mtr, Soul 10 mtr, BRM Clouds 8, 6.2, 4.8, 3.7
Lift, Naish and Levitaz foils
Carbonco and home build boards
Ozone and Duotone wings
Naish Hover 95 foilboard
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Australia
Has thanked: 85 times
Been thanked: 61 times

Re: Is my rear stab cavitating?

Postby airsail » Tue May 04, 2021 8:52 pm

Stabs are really easy to make, you just have to teach yourself how to take a mould off your chosen wing. Here is my first try at making a mould and a finished stab from it, just needs the holes drilled. It’s the Moses 483 and costs about $20 to build.
Attachments
024F960E-8AF0-4D27-8830-4944981036F8.jpeg

User avatar
NYKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 2042
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:17 pm
Style: Wave
Gear: .
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 26 times

Re: Is my rear stab cavitating?

Postby NYKiter » Wed May 05, 2021 3:59 am

Ive chewed the crap out of my 483 tips - really bad.....just sanded them down and it works fine.....I personally dont like the 450 stab...the upper tips breach and I noticed a big loss in roll stability....

Im using the 483 with the 720 and find that the combo yields great speed and great roll control.

User avatar
Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1250
Joined: Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:18 pm
Local Beach: Punta del Diablo, Uruguay
Favorite Beaches: Durban, SA
Corpus Christi
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Slinghot, Nobile, Zeeko
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 48 times
Been thanked: 155 times
Contact:

Re: Is my rear stab cavitating?

Postby Adventure Logs » Wed May 05, 2021 9:39 am

grigorib wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 5:07 pm
Jason, the 633 usually comes with 483 stabilizer which has wingtips pointed down and those are quite prone to damage. I’ve cracked a couple of those, friends did too. I switched to 450 stabilizer later on - it has winglets pointed up, which don’t run into bottom easily and those also contribute to better yaw stability, yet it needs shimming to preserve foot stance. Also 450 is kind of heavier.

Lately I got to ride RDB 310 sq.cm wave stabilizer which is as large compatible with Moses fuselages, is as large as 483-450, with less drag and doesn’t need shimming so I would recommend it as your new stabilizer.
$250 and it comes with cover
How does it ride compared to the 483? Is this a Russian brand? Quick google search didn't find much.
airsail wrote: Stabs are really easy to make, you just have to teach yourself how to take a mould off your chosen wing. Here is my first try at making a mould and a finished stab from it, just needs the holes drilled. It’s the Moses 483 and costs about $20 to build.
That's impressive, you should do a build thread on how to do it. My problem is I'm gone at least 50% of the time away from home for work so when I am home I'm so backed up on projects and burnt out that I really don't want to take on any more projects.

If I can get the motivation, I'm going to sand down my 483, and also check out my mast for the previously commented imperfections. I really have beaten on my gear so I guess it's due time for some TLC. Thanks Gents.

=Jason-

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 2973
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:12 pm
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; La Ventana; SPI; Hood River; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9m, SST 4/5/7m, UFO 5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/91/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/695/730/600/637 wings and 310/273/230/425/420 stabilizers, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 3'6" 2019-2020, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot/Moses 80cm alu mast $240. W695 wing, 1200 sq.cm wing, 273 sq.cm stabilizer
.
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 260 times
Been thanked: 382 times

Re: Is my rear stab cavitating?

Postby grigorib » Wed May 05, 2021 1:20 pm

Adventure Logs wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 9:39 am
grigorib wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 5:07 pm
Jason, the 633 usually comes with 483 stabilizer which has wingtips pointed down and those are quite prone to damage. I’ve cracked a couple of those, friends did too. I switched to 450 stabilizer later on - it has winglets pointed up, which don’t run into bottom easily and those also contribute to better yaw stability, yet it needs shimming to preserve foot stance. Also 450 is kind of heavier.

Lately I got to ride RDB 310 sq.cm wave stabilizer which is as large compatible with Moses fuselages, is as large as 483-450, with less drag and doesn’t need shimming so I would recommend it as your new stabilizer.
$250 and it comes with cover
How does it ride compared to the 483? Is this a Russian brand? Quick google search didn't find much.

=Jason-
Yes, RDB guys make their gear slightly West of Urals, on Kama river.
The 310 sq.cm stabilizer has slightly thinner profile so it has less drag, winglets are pointed up making it more yaw stable and wingtips damage-proof. It rides very smooth. If you won’t like it - just return it unscratched but in my opinion It’s a better stabilizer.


Return to “Hydrofoil”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests