downlooping during transitions hand/bar position,, is it me

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
papasmerf
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Weight: 195
Local Beach: west coast
Style: lawn mower
Gear: Slingshot, North, moses, flysurfers, some ozone again, and 17 years of accumulated kite stuff
Brand Affiliation: I like slingshot and north. good folks

downlooping during transitions hand/bar position,, is it me

Postby papasmerf » Sat May 08, 2021 4:04 pm

so one reason i don't downloop that much is going from toeside to heelside in a hard carve, under some decent power, fast, i have to reach my back hand across my body to get on the bar which is waaaaayyyy out there on my left hand, it really messes up my whole body mechanics. is it just me,, had anyone else noticed it,, it's like the best solution is to use my left hand to reach over to where my right hand would be to turn the kite hard.
which i hate doing, cause it messes up my whole muscle memory thing.

i am generally going upwind at a very steep angle toeside at a small wave which i intend to carve a heelside turn off the face of and the downloop is just not working cause of the arm reaching across

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: downlooping during transitions hand/bar position,, is it me

Postby jumptheshark » Sat May 08, 2021 5:03 pm

Downloop where it fits best. If a transition works better without then do that.

I remember needing to downloop heavy kites at their bottom end just to keep line tension but don’t use downlooping that way anymore. Now only downloop for landings and the odd time it’s the fastest way to position the kite.

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Sat May 08, 2021 6:15 pm

If you have enough speed you can carve accross your lines first without moving the kite; your hands will then be in a position to do a late downloop.
Last edited by Herman on Sun May 09, 2021 7:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat May 08, 2021 7:31 pm

You are right papasmerf, it is not just you, it IS like this, an odd body/hand position when downlooping back from toeside.

Racers keep speed on their board and turn board before the kite, or at least start the kite downloop delayed a tad - but it might end up in sync seen from outside.
I do the same in light wind sometimes.
Difference is, they never ride toeside and turn back again, so can not be compared - actually the feet are switched before the jibe but on a more downwind course than you, thus we call it a "race jibe" doing it this way.

But when toeside you should just reach over with the "far" hand, and downloop, yes your board will head a bit more downwind because you will turn your body doing this, thus your board also, but just reach over and pull hard and get the timing right - if you initiate the carve before the downloop - works best in light winds, it will be easy to reach with the opposite hand now :thumb:

In general, carving flying kite over and up is more satisfying for me, as you dont get this odd hand balance, no matter what you do - you always ride with the leeside hand ready to fly the kite up and over both from heelside and toeside, really pleasant :thumb:

8) Peter
Last edited by Peter_Frank on Sun May 09, 2021 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

papasmerf
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Weight: 195
Local Beach: west coast
Style: lawn mower
Gear: Slingshot, North, moses, flysurfers, some ozone again, and 17 years of accumulated kite stuff
Brand Affiliation: I like slingshot and north. good folks

Postby papasmerf » Sun May 09, 2021 3:46 am

Peter_Frank wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 7:31 pm
You are right papasmert, it is not just you, it IS like this, an odd body/hand position when downlooping back from toeside.

Racers keep speed on their board and turn board before the kite, or at least start the kite downloop delayed a tad - but it might end up in sync seen from outside.
I do the same in light wind sometimes.
Difference is, they never ride toeside and turn back again, so can not be compared - actually the feet are switched before the jibe but on a more downwind course than you, thus we call it a "race jibe" doing it this way.

But when toeside you should just reach over with the "far" hand, and downloop, yes your board will head a bit more downwind because you will turn your body doing this, thus your board also, but just reach over and pull hard and get the timing right - if you initiate the carve before the downloop - works best in light winds, it will be easy to reach with the opposite hand now :thumb:

In general, carving flying kite over and up is more satisfying for me, as you dont get this odd hand balance, no matter what you do - you always ride with the leeside hand ready to fly the kite up and over both from heelside and toeside, really pleasant :thumb:

8) Peter
ok then,, good to know some one with your expertise is flying kite up and over,,, i just thought downlooping during turns was the next evolution step. i can downloop in lightwinds though,, i am talking more power and moving faster.

Return to “Hydrofoil”