Style: Freestyle, Free ride, hydrofoil waves
Gear: 12m Airush ultra 2019
Liquid force Imulse foil + Pocket board
F-one Bandit 10m , 8m , 7m
Brand Affiliation: None

Most fun kite in sub 10 knots and a surf wing

Postby Tsachi1 » Mon May 10, 2021 7:41 pm

Hey there

Just purchased a 9m ufo , great kite , but it isn't so fun when the wind drops below 10 knots .
Looking for something fun to accomplish with it .

What is the most fun kite you find in 7-10 knots with a surf wing on flat water and waves ?

dave1986
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 85kg
Local Beach: Llangennith
Style: Twintip & hydrofoil
Gear: Naish Pivots 6m, 7m, 9m
Naish Boxer 12m
Ozone Chrono V4 13m

Re: Most fun kite in sub 10 knots and a surf wing

Postby dave1986 » Tue May 11, 2021 12:12 am

Several kite options are available for foiling in under 10 knots.

• Twin skin foil kites (e.g. Ozone Hyperlink, Ozone Chrono,
Flysurfer Soul, Flysurfer Sonic etc...)
• Single skin foil kites (e.g. Flysurfer Peak 4)

The twin skin foils will get you riding in the lowest winds and will have the most power (especially the higher aspect ones). But the disadvantage is that they will have a slower turning speed compared to kites like the UFO.

The single skin kites like Flysurfer Peak 4 will fly in very low winds, and are relatively faster turning than the twin-skin foils. They will get you riding in under 10 knots.. but they won't get you riding in quite as light wind as the twin skins.

My personal preference for low winds is a 13m Ozone Chrono V4. But there is no right or wrong answer.

bragnouff
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: New Brighton
Gear: Boards: Alkita boards
Zeeko Slash/AirWave/Scrambler
Amundson Johno
Foils: Spitfire XLW/ XXLW. GoFoil NL130/160/190
Kites: FS Peaks
HB Legion
Wings:Zeeko Carve
HB Flair/Guide...
Brand Affiliation: GK enthusiast / Zeeko & HB Pimp

Postby bragnouff » Tue May 11, 2021 1:02 am

The main answer is that no matter what kite you use, it will end up being a different kind of fun than in 10kts+, and most likely, a lesser amount of fun.
Light winds will always restrict what you can do in terms of downwind ability, and wave riding.
So you're likely to be left enjoying fast straight runs, which is nice in itself, but arguably not as nice or playful as what you can do once there is a bit more ambient energy to tap into.
Point is, do not expect that a new kite will recreate the same experience you're having with your 9m in 10kts+.

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Postby FLandOBX » Tue May 11, 2021 1:33 am

I agree with the previous posts. I use a FS Soul 10m for foiling in less than 10 knots. My challenge is that it's not quite as much fun as using a 7-9m inflatable in 12-14 knots. If I give into the temptation to "push the envelope" with the Soul in ultra light wind, I risk dropping the kite. The Soul is a great kite and easily relaunches in moderate wind, but relaunch is not a given if the wind is ultra light. Swimming in with a wet Soul isn't fun. But it's my light wind option and works well if you're content to chill and relax.

rnelias
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: RJ, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: Arubinha, RJ
Cumbuco, CE
Barra da Tijuca, RJ
Praia da Bica, RJ
Style: freeride
Gear: Boxer 9m for foiling
Rebel SLS 8m or Crave HL 9m for boosting on twintip

Postby rnelias » Tue May 11, 2021 2:16 am

FLandOBX wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 1:33 am
I agree with the previous posts. I use a FS Soul 10m for foiling in less than 10 knots. My challenge is that it's not quite as much fun as using a 7-9m inflatable in 12-14 knots. If I give into the temptation to "push the envelope" with the Soul in ultra light wind, I risk dropping the kite. The Soul is a great kite and easily relaunches in moderate wind, but relaunch is not a given if the wind is ultra light. Swimming in with a wet Soul isn't fun. But it's my light wind option and works well if you're content to chill and relax.
I'm new to hydrofoil and have Soul 12m (2.3kg) and Alpha v1 8m (2kg). My wing is equivalent to Moses Onda 633, thus, it is capable to plane with any displacement. I'm 72 kg and, in the 8-10k range I can ride with both kites, underpowered with Alpha and confortably with the Soul, however, I usually prefer to struggle a little bit more and use the Alpha. This Flysurfer is my first foil kite and I'm still trying to get used in how slow it is. Plenty of air mass to accelerate. The alpha is more fun to ride >=10k for sure. It helps me a lot as I'm now training gybes as it turns much faster than the Soul. I think an Alpha 10m would cover all the wind range on my local spot and would probably sell the foil kite, even aware that it would help me to learn tacks... :(

junebug
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 195 lbs
Style: Freeride Twintip, Strapless Foil
Gear: Rebels (6m, 8m, 11m, 13m)
Nobile NHP
Boxers (3.5m, 4m, 5m, 7m, 10m, 12m) (flat water)
Peak4s (3m, 4m, 5m, 6m) (waves)
Lift 150 v1 Surf front / 38 back (flat water)
Lift 170 v1 Surf front / 26 back (waves)

Postby junebug » Tue May 11, 2021 2:45 am

You can ride any strutless or single strut 12m LEI kite in 8kn in flat water with a surf wing, but it’s meh. 12m kites turn slow, are heavy, and you can forget about riding waves in those wind speeds. I currently have a 12m Boxer (and Lift 150) for sub-10kn days, but I only break it out when I haven’t been able to get out in a while. I’m glad I have it, but it’s very limited in what it can do.

bigtone667
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Birdie Beach, Budgewoi Beach, Lakes Beach
Favorite Beaches: Umina Beach, Birdies Beach, Lake Munmorah, Canton, The Swamp, Le Morne
Style: surf, foiling, jumping, lawn mowing
Gear: Kites: BRM Cloud D's, Duotone Rebels, Peaks
Wings: Cloud W1 2,3,4,5, Duotone DLAB Unit 4.5/5.5/6.5
Boards: Bit of everything
Foils: AXIS and Triton Foils

Postby bigtone667 » Tue May 11, 2021 5:09 am

I went stupid big ..... 17m Cloud, AXIS 1150 and Naish Hover 155 board ...... the fun comes in keeping the beast in the air and pumping around on the 1150. Over powered to the blazes in 10 knots. :-)

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat

Postby Regis-de-giens » Tue May 11, 2021 5:29 am

doublon , sorry
Last edited by Regis-de-giens on Tue May 11, 2021 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat

Postby Regis-de-giens » Tue May 11, 2021 5:36 am

bragnouff wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 1:02 am
The main answer is that no matter what kite you use, it will end up being a different kind of fun than in 10kts+, and most likely, a lesser amount of fun.
Light winds will always restrict what you can do in terms of downwind ability, and wave riding.
So you're likely to be left enjoying fast straight runs, which is nice in itself, but arguably not as nice or playful as what you can do once there is a bit more ambient energy to tap into.
Point is, do not expect that a new kite will recreate the same experience you're having with your 9m in 10kts+.
Fully agree. My personal option for sub 10 knots is a 15m foilkite (light so not a Soul above 10m for a light rider like I am), and sub 7 knots it is a 18m foilkite extremelly light. I could ride a 12m but it is boring because lack of power/ effort/ speed.
So "my " fun in sub 9 knots is to control and "accept" the power of a big kite, and anticipate kite particular trajectories and timing to ensure smooth transitions in poor winds. Having a mobile small kite with not enough power is, IMO , easy but quite boring: you loop short at any moment ,ok, but in the end you get no real reward and acceleration sensations.

The kite turns very slow, ok, but it is your challenge (and pleasure) to cope with that , and then get enough power for decent speed on such flat water, learning jumps with no risk. Almost "another sport" vs 10 knots.

lederhosen
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Weight: 80kg
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic4 12m
Kitech FRS 9m
Peak4 3m
Peak5 4m, 6m, 8m

Zeeko Spitfire Xlw, Xxlw
Eleveight Process 135

Postby lederhosen » Tue May 11, 2021 6:34 am

Kitech frs 12m is fun in that range. Great drift, rocksolid and turns fast.

Return to “Hydrofoil”