Flysurfer Peak 4
Groove Skate
Kauper Falcon
SAB foil
Brand Affiliation: None

foil wing voids

Postby Floating around » Wed May 19, 2021 6:00 am

:P Hi All,

I have just purchase a new foil setup, the front wing has a couple of blemishes on the underside near the fuselage. the larger ones are almost smooth on the surface but have a shallow void behind and can be pushed in a little, total area is about 1cm square. on the trailing edge issue it is a little rough, you can feel it with a fingernail, total size is about 1x0.5 cm. I have attached a couple of pictures, really hard to get a picture of them. shiny black is not easiest to photograph! i'm sure all this will disappear after the first grounding, and i do intend to sand it once the "new ness" has worn off but it is a brand new foil so...

I purposely have not mentioned the brand as they have been very responsive to emails so far. they are of the opinion that it is just cosmetic and not a problem but have offered me a significant discount on my next purchase.

what do you guys think? should i insist on a exchange? partial refund? or take the discount? (unlikely to purchase anything significant any time soon so the discount might not be much use!)

Thanks for your help.
Attachments
image1.jpeg
image1.jpeg (68.98 KiB) Viewed 1908 times
image0.jpeg
image0.jpeg (50.31 KiB) Viewed 1908 times

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Re: foil wing voids.

Postby Foil » Wed May 19, 2021 7:59 am

I have found that most if not all my carbon parts over the last 4 years have needed some minor hand finishing to make them perfect to the eye and maybe ensure there are fewer of these imperfections that may or may not cause any difference in performance, trailing edges are my main gripe, or were until recently when the trailing edges were at last machine finished and not left with a small paint/lacquer kickers that needed hand finishing

Not to find any cosmetic flaws in carbon means you are not looking hard enough! they are there if you look long and close up enough,
is it worth demanding a replacement? that's up to the recipient and their own feelings over it, some get very uptight over it, I don't mind so much as its easy to fix or even ignore, getting all worked up about it is understandable but when you see the real quality problems offered by some very expensive brands then it gives it some perspective, and some of those problems certainly are not cosmetic, ie badly fitting fuse to mast connection seen last week on a mega expensive brand, truly shocking!
I would go for the discount.

evan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Brouwersdam
Style: Hydrofoil - Big Air
Gear: Infexion bars
Brand Affiliation: Infexion

Postby evan » Wed May 19, 2021 8:49 am

Why would you want that glossy finish anyway? Makes a wing/mast more draggy and susceptible to ventilation compared to a well sanded one.

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Postby Foil » Wed May 19, 2021 5:01 pm

evan wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 8:49 am
Why would you want that glossy finish anyway? Makes a wing/mast more draggy and susceptible to ventilation compared to a well sanded one.
So True, just bought my 6th 633 wing, and took it straight in the garage and rubbed it down all over with 600 then 1200 wet and dry paper, looked very second hand, but was bang on at top speed and silky smooth, not a wibble or wobble, so perfect, but looked arghh! to many, but to me it is perfection :thumb:
if or when I sell it then I will restore the glossy shine, unless the person who buys it knows me and knows good looks are not everything.
brand new race masts and wings look well used, but they cost a bomb to get that well used look. :o

Floating around
Medium Poster
Weight: 82kg
Favorite Beaches: Lake Garda
Style: Lawn mower
Gear: Nobile infinity foil
Gong strutless
Flysurfer Peak 4
Groove Skate
Kauper Falcon
SAB foil

Re: foil wing voids

Postby Floating around » Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:23 pm

Just to update this thread.
After a bit of back and forth I have been given a take it or leave it on the discount for another purchase. They would have take back the wing if it was unused ( why only if it was unused? So that can re box it an send it off to someone else?) and I had to send it back before they would send me another. I didn’t have time for that so will keep it.
Had a great session today, nearly 3 hours. And that has revealed another interesting issue... am I just a winger!?
The fuselage has a few patches of corrosion! Bloody hell. Not at the joints with the wings/mast but on open surfaces. This happened while using the foil not stored.

Floating around
Medium Poster
Weight: 82kg
Favorite Beaches: Lake Garda
Style: Lawn mower
Gear: Nobile infinity foil
Gong strutless
Flysurfer Peak 4
Groove Skate
Kauper Falcon
SAB foil

Postby Floating around » Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:03 am

So the next stage in my wing fun.

The wing hasn’t been in the water for at least a couple of weeks. But today it started leaking water out of some pinholes in the leading edge. I got about a teaspoon out of it. This may also explain why it was wet when I took it out of the cover a few days ago, I was sure it was dry when I put it away but assumed I was mistaken.
What do you think, is it a problem? Will it cause long term issues? Best way to get the water out?
Thanks.

nixmatters
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Style: freeride. started foiling, not there yet
Gear: mostly custom made
Brand Affiliation: None currently

Postby nixmatters » Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:04 pm

Floating around wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:03 am
So the next stage in my wing fun.

The wing hasn’t been in the water for at least a couple of weeks. But today it started leaking water out of some pinholes in the leading edge. I got about a teaspoon out of it. This may also explain why it was wet when I took it out of the cover a few days ago, I was sure it was dry when I put it away but assumed I was mistaken.
What do you think, is it a problem? Will it cause long term issues? Best way to get the water out?
Thanks.
Now that's solid grounds for a warranty claim! Forget any attempts to repair it. Just send it back and ask for a new one, possibly from different production batch.

Return to “Hydrofoil”