Style: Foil.
Gear: Flysurfer Peak 5: 4/5/6/8/11m
Kauper XT Falcon 11m
Dwarfcraft 110cm
Gong Curve, Pro stab fuse 85 carbon mast
Brand Affiliation: None

Foil but must be cheap

Postby ieism » Sat May 22, 2021 3:42 pm

Hi, I want to get into foiling this summer but do not have an unlimited budget. I saw a lot of guys on Gong foils last year and they seemed happy enough, and they sell sets that are in my price range.

My plan is to buy a foil and mast, and build the board from scratch or adapt an old surfboard. I have plenty of experience building the board, but not much selecting the wing. Second hand is not that interesting as people here want a lot of money for sets, and it won't be cheaper than buying from Hong.

I want to 'freeride' and do some turns and small waverides. I don't mind a bit of a steeper learning curve, but I'm not interested in speed.
I ride a surfboard now, with Peak 4 kites. I tend to ride in lighter wind, and weigh 78kg.

I was looking at the X-over foil, does that seem like a good idea to you?

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Re: Foil but must be cheap

Postby matth » Sat May 22, 2021 8:59 pm

I just bought a Cabrinha Varial med size for $599 US......I love it, super stable, planes up early very easy to progress or learn on.. it is on the heavy side but not a big issue, and it's very durable. normally $999
These users thanked the author matth for the post:
ieism (Sun May 23, 2021 6:21 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Sun May 23, 2021 3:12 am

ieism wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 3:42 pm
Hi, I want to get into foiling this summer but do not have an unlimited budget. I saw a lot of guys on Gong foils last year and they seemed happy enough, and they sell sets that are in my price range.

My plan is to buy a foil and mast, and build the board from scratch or adapt an old surfboard. I have plenty of experience building the board, but not much selecting the wing. Second hand is not that interesting as people here want a lot of money for sets, and it won't be cheaper than buying from Hong.

I want to 'freeride' and do some turns and small waverides. I don't mind a bit of a steeper learning curve, but I'm not interested in speed.
I ride a surfboard now, with Peak 4 kites. I tend to ride in lighter wind, and weigh 78kg.

I was looking at the X-over foil, does that seem like a good idea to you?
You don't say where you are, but assuming you are somewhere in Europe, I think it's hard to beat Gong for value/quality. I'm not sure anyone has had a chance to try the X-over foil yet, so hard to get meaningful opinions. As far as I can tell from the website, the X-over may be replacing the Rise as the "beginner" wing - that is to say it has a fatter profile & lower aspect with less camber, designed to increase stability. The mast/fuselage seems to be identical to the other Gong alu foils. After the X-over the Curve Pro is higher aspect & thinner profile, then the Fluid Pro & finally the Veloce Pro.

None of these wings are really "race wings" - you could start with any one of them. If you're a foil beginner the X-over will be a bit more forgiving, but I'm pretty sure that any of the Gong wings with a similar surface area - 1000 cm2 to 1200 cm2 - would be appropriate to learn on. I use a Gong Curve M wing. I like it, it's a nice balance between stability & speed, but I can't say if it is notably different in performance from the other Gong wing sets. Given the continuing supply shortage of Gong foils, it might make sense for you to order whatever foil is most readily available. Whatever foil you get, you will have an enjoyable/frustrating time getting to grips with foiling & if you stick with it you will gradually progress.
These users thanked the author Flyboy for the post:
ieism (Sun May 23, 2021 6:21 am)

bkkite
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Oyster Bay
Favorite Beaches: Dakhla
Gear: Core XR5 15m , xlite 12m, Nexus 2 9m, XR5 7m

Core Fusion 139, Slingshot Celero 5’8, Slingshot Dwarfcraft 110cm with a Hover Glide Foil and Apollo 60 front wing

Postby bkkite » Sun May 23, 2021 4:02 am

Don’t know where you are, but I’m the US you can get slingshot hover glides fairly cheap, and they have a really wide selection of front wings which makes it reach to try our a bunch of different shapes. Haven’t hear of gong, so maybe that’s a similar thing around where you are?

ieism
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Local Beach: Ijmuiden
Favorite Beaches: Beauduc, Rockanje
Style: Foil.
Gear: Flysurfer Peak 5: 4/5/6/8/11m
Kauper XT Falcon 11m
Dwarfcraft 110cm
Gong Curve, Pro stab fuse 85 carbon mast

Postby ieism » Sun May 23, 2021 6:28 am

Yes im in Europe,so other brands are 2 to 3 times more expensive here.

Thanks for the detailed replies, I've ordered the XOver and it looks like just in time as it's now out of stock!

I figured it would be fairly cheap to change just the wing if I get better but that might take me all season or longer.

The 85cm mast seems a bit intimidating, but I'll figure it out I guess..

RalfsB
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Beaches close to Riga, Latvia
Gear: Kites: Ozone, Naish, HQ4, Gin; Boards: Gong and Alpine foil, Machado Moonbeam, a bunch of boards that I shaped

Postby RalfsB » Sun May 23, 2021 7:34 am

Gong is really good value and quality and very beginner-friendly. I am using surf pro wing size M (compatible with the surf mast).

jyka
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 85
Local Beach: laru
Style: freestyle
Gear: mixed set

Postby jyka » Sun May 23, 2021 7:55 am

Another vote to Gong. It's a rare combination of cheap and good. I have been super happy with gong foil for years. I'm using strutless gong kite also for foiling and it's great too.
These users thanked the author jyka for the post:
ieism (Sun May 23, 2021 8:32 am)

direnc
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Alacati, Pirlanta, Ilica
Gear: Cult 7.5
Soul 10
Ride 10
Kestrel 12
Gin Spirit 15
Edge 8/9/11
Ten Velox 11
Zephyr
Mako 150, DIY foils and boards

Postby direnc » Sun May 23, 2021 11:51 am

Anybody ridden the Gong Allvator Rise foil (their most affordable option)? How does it perform?
The Xover seems to be a bit faster wing with the new and much heavier mast. Their new alu foils start at 5kg, and they no longer list their wights… I use their original alu mast with my diy wings, and it’s stiff enough for kiting imo.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Sun May 23, 2021 3:33 pm

ieism wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 6:28 am
Yes im in Europe,so other brands are 2 to 3 times more expensive here.

Thanks for the detailed replies, I've ordered the XOver and it looks like just in time as it's now out of stock!

I figured it would be fairly cheap to change just the wing if I get better but that might take me all season or longer.

The 85cm mast seems a bit intimidating, but I'll figure it out I guess..
Good strategy. The important thing is to get foiling. Once you develop more experience/skills you could add another wing as you decide what suits your style/interests. I wouldn't worry about the 85cm mast for learning ... but you could always order a shorter mast - like a 60 cm - with your order as well, as they are very inexpensive from Gong.

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo wings&kites / GoFoil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Postby juandesooka » Sun May 23, 2021 5:59 pm

With so many foils out there now, you can probably find a top brand used for about the same price as secondary brand new. But Gong is a good option I think, people seem happy with them.

For boards, I've run the gamut of cheap options. One is surfboard with through hulls holes: epoxy in a graphite golf club shaft segment, use wide washer or an aluminum plate to spread load on deck. Or if you're handy, install proper fin boxes for mast track -- which I didn't do at first, now realize isn't that hard a job.

Another is find a wakeskate, drill 4 holes, good enough: only negative is it doesn't give much float, so with heavy alum foil it may just barely float above surface.

Or build a board....about the easiest shaping job you can do, as the shape basically doesn't matter, it's a platform above the water.

People vary on using straps or going strapless. I can do both but much prefer half hooks....so much easier to water start and to push through touch down. Plus you can try airs later on. Way easier to learn when attached to the board in some way.

Return to “Hydrofoil”