Style: Foil.
Gear: Flysurfer Peak 5: 4/5/6/8/11m
Kauper XT Falcon 11m
Dwarfcraft 110cm
Gong Curve, Pro stab fuse 85 carbon mast
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Foil but must be cheap

Postby ieism » Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:24 pm

Update: I got my Gong foil exactly on the date they said it would arrive. The quality looks ok to me, although it's not lightweight by any means it does look very bullitproof. It was well packaged and came in a nice bag.
I had my first ever session today and after about an hour had my first short ride that was sort of controlled, so I'm extremely stoked right now. The foil seems to ride at very low speed to me, it's hard to keep it down but I figured out I need to move my back foot much more forward than I estimated. I will try to put the mast all the way back next session and maybe find an inland spot with less waves as this was kind of tiring getting the thing trough the shorebreak. It's heavy and clumsy.

I feel like the X-over wing is good value for money. It does feel like I'll get the hang of it in a few sessions and according to the specs it's not even a total beginner foil.

thanks for all the advice, I'm hooked now.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Foil but must be cheap

Postby Flyboy » Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:58 pm

ieism wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:24 pm
Update: I got my Gong foil exactly on the date they said it would arrive. The quality looks ok to me, although it's not lightweight by any means it does look very bullitproof. It was well packaged and came in a nice bag.
I had my first ever session today and after about an hour had my first short ride that was sort of controlled, so I'm extremely stoked right now. The foil seems to ride at very low speed to me, it's hard to keep it down but I figured out I need to move my back foot much more forward than I estimated. I will try to put the mast all the way back next session and maybe find an inland spot with less waves as this was kind of tiring getting the thing trough the shorebreak. It's heavy and clumsy.

I feel like the X-over wing is good value for money. It does feel like I'll get the hang of it in a few sessions and according to the specs it's not even a total beginner foil.

thanks for all the advice, I'm hooked now.
:thumb:

Yes, manoeuvring a foil through shore break is hard work. Foils are heavy & clumsy ... until you're riding on it - then it magically transforms into a super-efficient gliding machine. You always need to have your weight further forward/mast further back that you would think.

It looks like my carbon foil from Gong will arrive in a couple of days - exactly when it was supposed to arrive, so kudos to Gong for that!

Return to “Hydrofoil”