Flysurfer Peak 4
Groove Skate
Kauper Falcon
SAB foil
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Fuselage corrosion

Postby Floating around » Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:54 pm

Just to let those interested know.
After being told that it was my fault for not washing it. I my have lost my cool a bit and sent a rather sharp email to SAB. They then sent me a new fuselage. So it has ended ok but shouldn’t have had to go that way.
I intend to try some of the suggestions in this thread on the old fuselage and keep the new one in reserve for the moment.

Tom Tom
Medium Poster

Postby Tom Tom » Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:14 pm

bigcane wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:22 pm
Often this white stuff is the excess grease oozing out of the bolt holes and sticking to the fuse. Soapy sponge is the fix
Although I struggle somewhat with understanding the dymanics of how the grease would attach lilke this, I find it very hard to believe corrosion like that would appear in such a short period of time. I simply cannot believe what is show in the pictures actually is corrosion, especially hearing that it wipes off and others have seen it for a few rides, then nothing. I lean towards the grease-theory.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:58 pm

Agree with Tom Tom.

8) Peter

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:30 pm

Grease could ball up if there is a change in contact angle if the surface chemistry of the metal changes on exposure to salt water. Precipitation of a deposit is another possibility for example a Calcium Carbonate or another Calcium salt. It may be that there is a salt left over from anodization bath that precipitates the first time it finds sea water. It would be hard to every know without somebody analyzing the specimen.

In any case, many users have reported the phenomenon and have all agreed it disappears promptly.

From the Ketos Foil FAQ discussing depostis on the carbon: https://ketos-foil.com/en/content/11-faq-ketos

My foil whistles or vibrates

A brand new foil may whistle or vibrate if not assembled correctly.

Check that you are using the right screws in the right place. Remember the stabilizer has 2 screw sizes, they are pre-mounted when you receive it but check that the shortest is in the rear, the longer in the front. Verify stabilizer alignment.

What if it still whistles? All of our foils are handcrafted. It may happen that a very slight defect escapes us. We invite you to fully mount your foil and check the leading and trailing edges, that there is no roughness, resin droplet, ect. Please contact us if you detect this

I've been foiling for a while and recently its started to whistle.

Check that there is no impact damage. If so, do not panic, it can be repaired. Close your eyes and run your hand over your mast, is it rough? Limestone and micro algae (if you are sailing in a lake) or salt and micro algae (if you are sailing in the sea) have settled and crystallized, creating micro reliefs. Rinse then with fresh water and if that persists wet sand with 1500g and get in the habit of rinsing and wiping your foil regularly. Check the condition of your front and rear inserts, the surfaces between parts, insure there is no play or impurities possibly causing a poor connection.

Floating around
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 82kg
Favorite Beaches: Lake Garda
Style: Lawn mower
Gear: Nobile infinity foil
Gong strutless
Flysurfer Peak 4
Groove Skate
Kauper Falcon
SAB foil

Postby Floating around » Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:49 pm

well its not grease, I used teffgell on the screw threads. the substance that is on the fuselage dose come of rather easy, but i do have some tiny pinholes oner the area where it was. i assume that it is corrosion coming through an incomplete anodising layer. regardless of what it is, it shouldn't happen.

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster

Postby jakemoore » Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:33 pm

Floating around
Medium Poster
Weight: 82kg
Favorite Beaches: Lake Garda
Style: Lawn mower
Gear: Nobile infinity foil
Gong strutless
Flysurfer Peak 4
Groove Skate
Kauper Falcon
SAB foil

Postby Floating around » Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:45 pm

A new product used in the intended manner should not corrode.if it dose then something is wrong.
As the corrosion occurred in defined patches and not over the whole surface it would seem to be a fault and not a feature! SAB decided it was a fault and replaced it at no cost.

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster

Postby jakemoore » Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:54 am

[quote="Floating
Floating around wrote:
A new product used in the intended manner ... replaced it at no cost.
Ever notice a new car has a smell? What do you suppose that is? Is it a defect, a feature, or just a phenomenon? What do you suppose it does for our sperm count?

Anodized aluminum is porous. Whatever they use in the shop is going to fill the pores.

Enjoy your new fuse. Why not wipe the deposit off and report back if it happens again.
These users thanked the author jakemoore for the post:
DAnderson (Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:23 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Lamilu
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Weight: 110kg
Local Beach: Cabo Frio, Cumbuco
Style: Wave/foil
Gear: Duotone Neo 8, Rebel 7 and 9, Chrono 11
Armstrong M800 and board

Postby Lamilu » Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:00 pm

Floating around wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:55 pm
Not a new subject!

So today I went out on my shiny new Moses/sabfoil. This is only the second time I have been out on it. Total of under 4 hours in the water. When I got back to the beach after almost 3 hours on the water the fuselage is covered in patches of corrosion! Amazing. This is my second problem with this foil in the 2 weeks I have had it. Not a happy camper. Is this corrosion normal for sab? Or do I have a lemon?
Will see how the second warranty claim goes. First one resulted in a discount on my next purchase. With the way things are going my next purchase will be a different brand! Yes I’m grumpy.

Had a look at another one on the beach, a couple of years old and perfect finish on the fuselage.
I got a new Moses foil and am very woried about this fuselage business.
I had a previous fone mirrage carbon and everything was fine for several sessions untill using it in a hypersaline lagoon, the titan mast base adapter was the sacrifitial element and got the brunt of the electrolytic galvanic corrosion.
I believe electrolytic galvanic corrosion is a bigger problem than corrosion…
Corrosion isnt the culprit in something like this happening in the first or second session.
Never seen an Alpine Ultimate fuselage, but its sacrifitial zinc insert is brilliant, everybody that has a boat understand this fenomenon.
A slight misalingnment, on any element of the foil might cause small cavitations, and that in an hypersaline medium causes fast electrolytic galvanic corrosion.
Eletric isolation of the elements, lithium ptfe grease, teflon on bolts and between connecting surfaces, might help or retard effects.
I’m not a quemist, but between carbon, titanium, and aluminium, the latter must be the weakest…and suffers the main attack.
I will do that from now on…

drsurf
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: NSW South Coast
Gear: Too much too describe
Brand Affiliation: Whatever I sell

Postby drsurf » Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:52 pm

Lamilu wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:00 pm
Floating around wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:55 pm
Not a new subject!

So today I went out on my shiny new Moses/sabfoil. This is only the second time I have been out on it. Total of under 4 hours in the water. When I got back to the beach after almost 3 hours on the water the fuselage is covered in patches of corrosion! Amazing. This is my second problem with this foil in the 2 weeks I have had it. Not a happy camper. Is this corrosion normal for sab? Or do I have a lemon?
Will see how the second warranty claim goes. First one resulted in a discount on my next purchase. With the way things are going my next purchase will be a different brand! Yes I’m grumpy.

Had a look at another one on the beach, a couple of years old and perfect finish on the fuselage.
I got a new Moses foil and am very woried about this fuselage business.
I had a previous fone mirrage carbon and everything was fine for several sessions untill using it in a hypersaline lagoon, the titan mast base adapter was the sacrifitial element and got the brunt of the electrolytic galvanic corrosion.
I believe electrolytic galvanic corrosion is a bigger problem than corrosion…
Corrosion isnt the culprit in something like this happening in the first or second session.
Never seen an Alpine Ultimate fuselage, but its sacrifitial zinc insert is brilliant, everybody that has a boat understand this fenomenon.
A slight misalingnment, on any element of the foil might cause small cavitations, and that in an hypersaline medium causes fast electrolytic galvanic corrosion.
Eletric isolation of the elements, lithium ptfe grease, teflon on bolts and between connecting surfaces, might help or retard effects.
I’m not a quemist, but between carbon, titanium, and aluminium, the latter must be the weakest…and suffers the main attack.
I will do that from now on…
Use Tefgel on all screws/bolts and wash your foil with fresh water after use. I just squirt the contact areas of the items attached to the fuselage with a drink bottle after use on my Moses/Sabfoil gear and that stops corrosion. If I'm not using the gear for a month or two I'll dassasemble and wash in fresh water until I use it again.
As far as I know the surface of the Moses/Sabfoil fuselages are anodised which is an anti corrosive finish which works similar to a zinc anode effect. Used a variety of Moses/Sabfoil fuselages over the years in salt water only and with basic care it's never been a problem.

Return to “Hydrofoil”