Local Beach: Brouwersdam
Style: Hydrofoil - Big Air
Gear: Infexion bars
Brand Affiliation: Infexion

Re: deep tuttle vs tuttle compatibility

Postby evan » Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:12 pm

cor wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:17 pm
Moses (Sabfoil) T75. But as mentioned that was not due to normal use but due to jumping.
Ah, that discontinued race board... Glad i didn't order it back in the days, seen nothing but troubles with those (cracking, inserts splitting etc)

Now on a tarifa foil board and it is still going strong, same with all the other Dutch riders here

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Re: deep tuttle vs tuttle compatibility

Postby OzBungy » Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:16 am

I jump my J Shapes deep tuttle gear all the time. It's better to jump a smaller foil. A flat landing with a larger foil can make for some scary crunching noises. 700 hours on my board and no damage yet.

Tuttle is not supposed to go all the way to the bottom of the box. The tapered ends and flat sides are meant to mate with the ends of the box for an interference fit. The screws are just meant for security. It's the taper that does all the work. Having the mast touch the bottom of the box can cause breakage because all the force is focussed in a single area and not distributed over the whole box.

My GoFoil and J Shapes masts fit almost all of my boards. Each mast has it's own set of screws. The J Shapes mast fits into my wing foiling board but the screws don't line up. I think that's because the holes in the top of the box are a snug fit on the screws. There's not enough slack to get the screws into the holes in the top of the mast. I could enlarge the holes a little but it would only be for the novelty value of trying to wing foil with my small kite foils.

My kite foils are all deep tuttle. My wing foils have deep tuttle and track mounts. I really really want to avoid plate mount masts. The strength and ease of assembly is fantastic. I suspect I might want explore plate masts if I did more wing foiling in surf where minor adjustments can be critical. At the moment tuttle is just fine.
These users thanked the author OzBungy for the post:
cglazier (Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:36 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Hydrofoil”