Local Beach: Wellington
Favorite Beaches: Perth, Los Roques, Sri Lanka
Style: Freestyle
Gear: North, Core
Brand Affiliation: None

Hydrofoil Fuerteventura spots

Postby lavueltalmundo » Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:49 am

Hi,

I'm currently in Fuerteventura (Canaries) and would love to use the hydrofoil for the low wind days, but I'm not too sure about the spots to foil in the North of the island.

Flag beach seems still to have quite a volcanic seabed and I'm afraid of hitting the bottom with the foil as it highly depends on the tides.

Anyone that could suggest a spot for hydrofoil for a not super experienced foiler?

Many thanks in advance

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Re: Hydrofoil Fuerteventura spots

Postby Foil » Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:41 am

there are many beaches that hydrofoilers use in the north of the island, flag is the most popular, but your right in that it is risky for your gear if you are not that experienced, and the shore break that happens regularly there is maybe the biggest problem in the onshore winds for many less experienced or even experienced foilers that are not used to being pushed back, and it gets worryingly busy so no room to fall in :roll: with so many ttips on the water in a very limited space so plenty of this :argue:
And this location is the norths easiest place to foil from! its a foilers dream location, with often massive wave sets from the close by reef breaks, the massive expanse of sailing area, lots of super friendly foilers from all over the globe, great sandy beach, and on light wind days you can be the only one out on a decent foil kite and big wing, great to see the crowd of Ttips standing watching from the shore wanting to get out but simply cant do that in the very common light wind times of early morning or late afternoon.
The many other northern beaches are not worth mentioning as they can be very scary unless your a very good hydro foiler, but when your up to it then they are waiting and normally much quieter.
the only super safe but still great location is Matas Bay, half way down the island, flat water,deep safe launch, no shore break, no waves, safe for you and your gear, beach is rustic, good car parking a few yards from the beach hire center and shop, superb rescue service with many jet skis on duty to pull you back to shore,wind is cross off most days,rescue needs to be paid for before you go out, 50 euro for up to 3 rescues but unlimited time, no expiry date, I paid my fee 3 years ago and its still valid as no rescues, loos and shower included in the fee. sotavento is just far too gusty, and not that enjoyable overall, keep trying it as it looks superb, but hate the place every time I do,
rescue fee is a must do at flag as the wind often just switches off completely with no chance of keeping any kite in the air, risk is high of a swim in.

czareka
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Weight: 92
Local Beach: Kessenich in Begium, Lake Zalew Zegrzyński, Lake Kierskie, Poland, Narty Lake Poland
Favorite Beaches: Sotavento on Fuerteventura
Brouwersdam in Holland
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Div. Armstrong Foils, Skywalker Board by Aeroboards, F One Surffoil 38L, Armstrong Wingsurf 34L Board, Su2 Boards, Sabfoil Fluente, Ozone Wings, Cabrinha Moto, Kauper-XT Falcon, Ozone Hyperlink.

Re: Hydrofoil Fuerteventura spots

Postby czareka » Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:16 am

I was just few days ago on Sotavento for 2 weeks and had 21 foil sessions in this two weeks. I love Flag Beach for the waves and Los Lobos for flat water but I like also very much Sotavento. Yep, the wind is on Sotavento 90% of the time offshore, strong and gusty. But if you know this spot then you go right to the end of the kite zone where the locals are riding. There is the wind also offshore but constant and you can foil also nice waves. I love this place.

Here my vid from the spot:

and other one

Other good Spot for kitefoil is in Morro Jable at the Lighthouse. The Wind on Sotavento turns during a regular day from NW to W which is 100% offshore. This W direction is then side or sideon on the spot in Morro Jable. In Morro Jable is the wind much mir lighter than in Sotavento and you have flat water or nice waves to kitefoil.

Hope it helps you a little.

Cheers

Return to “Hydrofoil”