Glice227
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Lake St Francis
Gear: Flysurfers, Clouds, Celeritas, Monk, Hydrofoils
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Peak4 13m, How To Get Home

Postby Glice227 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:38 pm

When the wind is starting to fade and trying to get back to shore with a large surf wing and slow foil kite, is it better to jibe with a downloop or tack?

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Re: Peak4 13m, How To Get Home

Postby jumptheshark » Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:40 pm

Jibe.

button hook jibe is my go to at the bottom end.

take an upwind entry to tension lines and get the kite to turn around well so that you can rotate the foil almost in place in a very tight jibe and have it pointed on the new tack slightly downwind ready to pump as the kite gains some power in the dive on the new tack.

If your competent at pumping, you can probably take it one step lower and draw the path out a little bit by pumping through, until the kite begins to produce power on the new tack.

I'm kinda happy with a 10 knot min, so am only doing this successfully in around 8 knots on a 6m.

Might be totally different on a bigger kite.
These users thanked the author jumptheshark for the post:
Glice227 (Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:55 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat

Postby Regis-de-giens » Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:26 pm

In very low wind on foilkites (whatever the size and aspect ratio), i use what i call a "pivot gibe" : no loop, just a gibe starting with high upwind angle, as slow as possible and send the kite upward to the opposite window very dynamically (like for a jump but pursue the sending of the kite until having the kite pointing toward the water). Maybe above description from jumptheshark is the same, it is not clear to me with my english level .

Here is a video on my post of 14th may :
viewtopic.php?f=196&t=2402601&p=1055045 ... e#p1055045

And some clarifications of the different possible gibes at the fist page :
viewtopic.php?f=196&t=2402601&hilit=Pivot+gibe

Tacking is very risky to put the kite in the water if you do not master the tack and fall down during the move (kite will go behind your head at zenith and collapse). With pivot gibe, the risk is very reduced because you have a constant tension when moving the kite hard.
These users thanked the author Regis-de-giens for the post (total 2):
jumptheshark (Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:52 am) • Glice227 (Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:56 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:45 pm

If the wind is dropping and I need to get downwind, I will usually loop the kite to keep tension on the lines or try to keep the kite fairly backstalled over the water and slowly make my way downwind, slightly pumping when needed. Takes practice and a little finesse but it works well for me.

=Jason-
These users thanked the author Adventure Logs for the post:
Glice227 (Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:53 am)

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:24 am

I'm not a fan of the downloop in extremely light conditions. The downturn puts the kite on a collision course with the water. The slightest mistake or change in conditions results in a kite in the water. The are circumstances when I can feel the upturn is going wrong and I'll throw in a downloop the save the kite.

I do what the earlier post calls a button hook gybe. Carve upwind as hard as I can to tension the lines, pivot and send the kite up and over the other way.

It's important to feel the motion and power of the kite and use all the line tension to accelerate the kite up and over and time the pivot so you're facing the opposite direction and using the power of the kite to head off in the opposite direction. The last thing you want is for the kite to go too far in the opposite direction.

A larger board helps. It's a huge advantage being able to stand on the board while you get in an extra swoop of the kite.

PS with a Peak it might not be a bad idea to wear a rash vest. If you have to paddle in you can stuff the kite inside the rash vest to keep it tidy while you paddle.
These users thanked the author OzBungy for the post:
Glice227 (Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:54 am)

elguapo
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: pattaya
Gear: ..
Has thanked: 0

Postby elguapo » Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:49 pm

i wouldnt dare downlooping a 13m in marginal conditions..

i think i do what others are calling that pivot upwind.

...and i'd pump the foil to stay upwind...or pump (heavily) back to shore (since you dont need any wind to pump.. and a 13m will stay in air as long as you keep line tension down to 3 knts)

edit:
//i usually (maybe always?) fly this kite(13m peak4) on 12m race lines... is just too slow flying (for me) to try to loop when far from shore....and i dont recall ever trying to fly this on longer lines
Last edited by elguapo on Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:51 pm

I loop my kites on a daily basis so I'm pretty proficient on it and have no problem. Never had an issue looping the Peak 13 but I also use longer lines(21m). Works very well for me.

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat

Postby Regis-de-giens » Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:53 pm

Loop is doable indeed, i like looping my 18m in 5-6 knots. However as said above, the risk to finish in water is higher, so not recommended if timing is not well managed vs this hook gibe, kite turning upward

Atte
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Local Beach: Tablas island , Philippine's.
Style: Hydrofoil Freeride
Gear: Flysurfer soul, peak

Postby Atte » Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:58 pm

once I was "to far out" and didn't want to drop the kite on the way home, down wind in decreasing wind..... I had the same question as you, I chicken out and did a non foiling jibe (with the board on the water) less risk to slack the lines when the board speed is slower. when I was done with the jibe and down loop I just pop back up on the foil and continue, worked all the way to the beach :)
These users thanked the author Atte for the post:
Glice227 (Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:55 am)

papasmerf
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Weight: 195
Local Beach: west coast
Style: lawn mower
Gear: Slingshot, North, moses, flysurfers, some ozone again, and 17 years of accumulated kite stuff
Brand Affiliation: I like slingshot and north. good folks

Postby papasmerf » Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:13 am

elguapo wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:49 pm
i wouldnt dare downlooping a 13m in marginal conditions..

i think i do what others are calling that pivot upwind.

...and i'd pump the foil to stay upwind...or pump (heavily) back to shore (since you dont need any wind to pump.. and a 13m will stay in air as long as you keep line tension down to 3 knts)

edit:
//i usually (maybe always?) fly this kite(13m peak4) on 12m race lines... is just too slow flying (for me) to try to loop when far from shore....and i dont recall ever trying to fly this on longer lines
what kind of foil wing are you using that you can pump all the way back to shore.

Return to “Hydrofoil”