A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
ieism
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Gear: Flysurfer Peak 4
Brand Affiliation: None

Relaunch kite or save foil first

Postby ieism » Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:25 pm

So Im a beginner on foil, and had my 3rd session today. Its going OK I can foil pretty reliable and go up and downwind but still crash, a lot.

Problem is, I ride a Peak 4 and although I can relaunch it that does take me a minute. At my favorite spot, there is a very strong current. By the time I would get my kite in the air again, my board could be completely gone. The current is as fast as a very brisk walk, and can be upwind sometimes.

Today I dropped the kite once while taking a fall, and released and swam after my board+foil first. The I reset the kite and swam back to the bar and managed to make it back. But it was not easy.

I have this with a surfboard to some extend, but the foil takes off with the current at an alarming pace. It's faster than I can swim once it gets going.

How do I solve this, I can't wear a leach because I'm still falling a lot and don't fancy being permanently attached to the thing yet... Its also kit easy to handle the foil board while trying yo reset the kite.

rnelias
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Praia da Bica, RJ, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: Arubinha, RJ
Cumbuco, CE
Barra da Tijuca, RJ
Praia da Bica, RJ
Style: freeride
Gear: Duotone Rebel 12m/9m, Dice 7m, Reo 8m, Alpha 8m, Soul 12m, Crazy Fly Raptor LTD 2019, Mystic Majestic

Re: Relaunch kite, or save foil first...

Postby rnelias » Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:34 pm

I usually leave a 3m of spare line rolled up in my strap's velcro just in case I need something to hold my board in place.

Why have you chosen a Peak 4 to learn hydroifoil? It would be a much easier task with a 3 or 1-struct LEI kites like Ultra or Alpha...

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: slingshot liquid force wainman pansh naish duotone cwb burton ronix ozone cabrinha north flysurfer

Postby edt » Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:58 pm

Keep an eye on your foil while you crash and immediately grab it. Then sit rodeo on the board to launch. Sitting on your board gives you push against the water and you can relaunch in 5 knots less wind than if you relaunch swimming without the board. If you keep an eye on the board you'll find it becomes easy to grab it. The problem is when your lose track of it then it rockets down wind and there's no chance grabbing it.

ieism
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Gear: Flysurfer Peak 4

Postby ieism » Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:03 pm

rnelias wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:34 pm
I usually leave a 3m of spare line rolled up in my strap's velcro just in case I need something to hold my board in place.

Why have you chosen a Peak 4 to learn hydroifoil? It would be a much easier task with a 3 or 1-struct LEI kites like Ultra or Alpha...
This has been said to me when I learned kiting last year on a surfboard too. I know, but it is what I have. I intended to go snowkiting, but when covid hit I took them to the beach to practice. It got out of hand, I'm not buying LEI kites. I've gotten used to these, and surely hydrofoiling can't be that hard... :lol:

The loose line is a smart idea, at least it will keep your hands free.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:46 pm

Two things:

Get the board FIRST, in every instance - as then you are safe, your foilboard wont get destroyed if it hits land, and you can sit on the board relaunching or drifting ashore :thumb:
Never try to relaunch first - get your board asap is key.

The second thing is, at almost every spot, no matter how strong current - well, it doesnt matter, makes absolutely no difference.

Your board wont get away from you or your kite because of the current (in 99 % of the scenarios), as you are in the same current.

So dont pay attention to that.

Two things often happen - if the board is pointing downwind, even supersmall surface waves a few inches, will make a hydrofoil "pedal to the medal", meaning it dolphins downwind faster than you can get it.
The opposite can be that board is on its side, and wind will keep it from going downwind, and hard to get back to the board, even with the kite flying.
In both instances, one would think it is current playing you a trick, but it is not.

Both have got nothing to do with current - just the way it is for all of us, and why you should definitely retrieve your board immediately, as the first thing.

As you are new into hydrofoiling, you could not know this - but welcome to an awesome sport and you will get it really fast I think :D

8) Peter
These users thanked the author Peter_Frank for the post (total 2):
Regis-de-giens (Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:57 pm) • BraCuru (Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:52 am)
Rating: 13.33%

airsail
Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg
Local Beach: Queens Beach North, Queensland, Australia
Favorite Beaches: Queens North, I don’t travel much
Style: Foiling
Gear: Sonic 3 15mtr, Soul 10 mtr, BRM Clouds 8, 6.2, 4.8, 3.7
Lift, Naish and Levitaz foils
Carbonco and home build boards
Ozone and Duotone wings
Naish Hover 95 foilboard

Postby airsail » Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:11 pm

You have a problem, quick relaunch of a Peak is imperative, but grabbing the foilboard is too, otherwise you could be left with no floatation if the kite relaunch fails.
I have a leash on the back of my harness to attach the board to, only attached after a crash. This gives me time to relaunch with no worry the board will get away from you.
I’ve also used it to tow other downed kiters or foilboards to shore.

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freestyle, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cabrinha Apollo, FS Speed 4, FS Soul, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 679 & 590, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Postby FLandOBX » Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:22 pm

I totally agree with others. Always get control of your board immediately after falling. If you don't, it will often take off down wind and travel into your kite lines. Then it's usually game over.

If you get your board first, you (1) won't lose it, (2) can prevent it from getting tangled in your kite lines, (3) can sit on it and use it as resistance against the kite to make relaunching easier, and (4) can use it as flotation if you need to self rescue. The ONLY downside is that your Peak stays in the water longer. On balance, you're better off with the board in hand first.

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Re: Relaunch kite or save foil first

Postby jumptheshark » Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:57 pm

Board is top priority but if the foil is on it’s side I’ll spend a bit more effort on relaunching peaks. You pretty much know inside of 30 seconds if you have a chance of getting it back up. If the board is flat and gonna swim, I short change relaunch and resign myself to a full reset and go nab the board first.

Sighting the board is pretty much instinct now. Lost it once, thankfully in a small bay, but it was a nightmare. My all black foil now sports neon green rails.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:47 am

Get the board first would be my choice with tube kites, cos inevitably the damn thing floats straight downwind and into my lines...

Janus
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: https://goo.gl/maps/bc4TAhGN26ewTLJW9
Style: Freeride
Gear: *

Postby Janus » Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:12 am

With most kites my board will be the first to get.. but with the Peak it is a little bit different.. it depends a lot on the situation, completely crashed kite no piece of fabric flapping in the wind? Get the board. Otherwise take 5 till 10 seconds to try to relaunch the Peak, like written above here, depending on what your board is doing..

Return to “Hydrofoil”