Airrush Ultra v3 5M
Slingshot ghost 4M
Core XR6 8M, XR5 10M /12M
Moses Onda / Groove Skate
Crazy Fly Raptor LTD Neon / Lieuwe Shotgun
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Looking for some advice. Low wind kite foiling. 5-12knots

Postby leeuwen » Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:00 am

As mentioned a gong setup will give you the best bang for the money if you look at new gear in the lower segment.
However, I would probably go the other way around: don’t cheap out on the foil but on the kites!
I would say there is less difference between a gong one strut vs a brand one strut then there is with the foils. Especially if you want more then a single wing a big ecosystem in regards to wing and stabilizer availability is nice to have.

So I would argue that the foil more sense to invest in to because, compared to a twintip, a good foil actually makes a huge difference and you are probably going to stick with it for quite some time as you mentioned.
EG lugging a heavy board and Alu mast around is a real pain compared to a nice carbon setup.
Also think about your endgame with the foil. Do you want to race/jump/freeride/waveride?
All of these matter for foilwing and board selection.
Maybe you want a race wing but the brand doesn’t provide it?

In regards to expensive twinskin foil kites there are more brands then flysurfer. Eg Kitech fRS is quite well regarded for foiling and I am also quite happy with my KauperXT Falcon so far.
Still not extremely cheap but considerably more affordable then the flysurfer kites.
ieism wrote: I'm a total beginner, so might not be the best reference.. But I have the X-over set. I can foil in 5 to 6 knots with an 11m peak 4. I know this because there was a dude on the beach with a meter that showed exacy 5 to 6 knots when I was out on my second session.
Measurement at ground level doesn’t say a lot. It might be 12 knots a few meters up in the air. Also hot vs cold and humid vs dry air makes quite a big difference.
Pretty sure the peak 11m is very efficient and a skilled rider can probably keep it going in 5-6kn but it certainly isn’t a great beginner setup. The lack of lift and difficult relaunch don’t make them great for practicing. They are really great for waves and they have great fast and easy setup but it’s probably not the best kite for beginners.

Trigen
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Trondheim - Norway
Favorite Beaches: Only ever been to Hua Hin. Hoping for Hawaii Brazil and South africa
Style: Powered! Freestyle, Wake, Big air
Gear: Core GTS 4 12m 9m 7m
Core GTS3 17m LW

Wainman Joke 138 Boots
Cf Raptor LTD 132 Straps
Been thanked: 0

Postby Trigen » Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:50 am

Thanks again chaps

And don't worry I intend to learn in more wind and then go down. Guessing 12 16 knots for learning so I don't have to fight the kite. It sucks and ive picked up my bro's a couple of times only to have the wind drop to marginal and get 3 attempts combined on 2 different sessions. Yeah no.

I actually ended up on a cf chill 130 board and the 690 cruz foil as I don't want to wait for ages and it had a 30% discount so i get another wing which will be the full price in the end. I intend to buy a 1200 wing for it too and use that would i learn and use for lw later or would the 1000 be a better choice?

I wont be doing any racing or massive air with it. It will be a LW cruising thing for enjoying the water on the days im unable to do TT. I dont think that will change really. I get bored pretty quick if there is no action so once i get a bit better im probably doing some nice higher speed carves and such which the CF seems to be fairly well suited for anyways with the 690 wing. Learning new things are always fun though so im looking forward to the challenge. I could end up digging it way more than i thought. Who knows.

Now i just need to decide if i should got for a 7 or 9m strutless. Or a 7 or 9 single strut

papasmerf
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Weight: 195
Local Beach: west coast
Style: lawn mower
Gear: Slingshot, North, moses, flysurfers, some ozone again, and 17 years of accumulated kite stuff
Brand Affiliation: I like slingshot and north. good folks

Postby papasmerf » Tue Jul 06, 2021 4:04 pm

1000 vs 1200 is not really that much of a difference, imo, bit of a waste of $ imo. and a 7m single strut is not that great of a LW kite, especially when it comes to relaunch. once you get decent,, you will defintely need a lightweight ram air kite in the 11m-13m range if you really want to push the light wind limits

Trigen
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Trondheim - Norway
Favorite Beaches: Only ever been to Hua Hin. Hoping for Hawaii Brazil and South africa
Style: Powered! Freestyle, Wake, Big air
Gear: Core GTS 4 12m 9m 7m
Core GTS3 17m LW

Wainman Joke 138 Boots
Cf Raptor LTD 132 Straps
Been thanked: 0

Postby Trigen » Tue Jul 06, 2021 6:29 pm

I went with the 9 Gong strutless v4 as i think the main range will be 8-12 knots and the 1200 wing as its what they had in Norway. Im 66kg so i i dont think it will be an issue to go lower than that as long as the kite flies. Ill go with my 7m GTS5 for anything higher than that. Ill have to see how that works out before i start looking at the ram air kites. Gonna be broke for a while anyways lol. My brother has a Gin marabau 8m and a 12m soul i can borrow while he's stuck at work later on to get a feel for them. He's a pretty fresh foiler himself and can just about jibe to toeside 4-5 tacks nowdays and has one session on the Soul. Diggs it though!

Return to “Hydrofoil”