Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Ultimate foil for surf skate like quick carves?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
pikovsg
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Boston, Cape Cod, Outer Banks
Favorite Beaches: Cape Cod, Tarifa, Maui, Cabarete, Guadeloupe, Pleasure Bay.
Any session with a BRM Cloud and a hydrofoil.
Style: Soul, Freestyle, Race
Gear: -
Duotone Dice SLS, BRM Clouds, Ozone R1V2
Lift 150, Moses 637
Triton Custom V3 Bat 37", Temavento Sync
Carved Imperator
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Ultimate foil for surf skate like quick carves?

Postby pikovsg » Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:21 pm

Can you guys weigh in on Peak4 vs. Cloud drift?

I’m using Clouds and Lift 150/170 to surf waves and absolutely love Clouds for this. Was able to ride 12-14ft swell in our nearby spot in Point Judith, RI this spring!

All that said, you still can’t fully truly down the line of a big wave on a Cloud, you gotta take a slight angle. So wondering how peaks would compare and if you can really go down the line with them.

mirza23454
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2040
Weight: 100kg
Local Beach: sfbay mostly 3rd/coyote
Gear: Mostly surf/wave/carve oriented kites/boards/foils
Has thanked: 0

Postby mirza23454 » Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:00 am

There’s a couple comparisons with clouds here: viewtopic.php?f=197&t=2401224&hilit=Cloud&start=440

> Sold all my clouds after riding a Peak. Had a 5, 8, 13.4D1 clouds. Was a cloud rider for 6 years and was happy. These just drift so much better and they are very agnostic in their behavior. You get on a wave and forget about them until you need them. I have the 5, 8, and 11m Peak 4's.

> Peaks are MUCH better for drift and depower. Turning speed is similar on a per power basis. Clouds have a slight edge upwind. Clouds relaunch much better and are more expensive.

I’m kinda curious about Clouds because the Peak relaunch does make me a bit nervous sometimes about going too far out or into risky spots with container ship traffic or strong currents out to sea.

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:34 am

pikovsg wrote: Can you guys weigh in on Peak4 vs. Cloud drift?
The Peak is like a Cloud only more so. I would say the step from Cloud to Peak is at least half again as much as the step between a 3 strut wave kite and a Cloud

If the wave is faster than the wind you have to fly the kite or ride the board to keep some line tension with both.

Peaks fly in less wind and like to sit deep downwind if you want them to so the angles downwind can be better.

If at some moments you are riding lines completely slack some structure in the kite improves your chance of recovery but the kite falls faster.

If you put it in the water in the conditions you are talking about the Cloud will at least float to shore if you release it and swim in. But is much easier to keep the Peak in the air.

I would not expect the closed leading edge water launching peak alternatives to relaunch if they go down in overhead surf or get washed by whitewater. If you stuff it in bigger waves you may lose your kite and bar.

For the price of a 3 4 or 5 you could try a peak.

I’ve gone back to srtutless kites for wave foiling except I still have a 3m Peak.

Return to “Hydrofoil”