Chosing my next foil

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
papasmerf
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Weight: 195
Local Beach: west coast
Style: lawn mower
Gear: Slingshot, North, moses, flysurfers, some ozone again, and 17 years of accumulated kite stuff
Brand Affiliation: I like slingshot and north. good folks

Re: Chosing my next foil

Postby papasmerf » Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:02 am

windybrit wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:18 pm
I have dabbled and learned (slowly as I get lamentably few oportunities to ride) over the last while. I have changed my 5 strut kites for 1 strut and
am now at the point where I’ve decided to buy a new foil. I’m not much interested in speed but favour carving (waves) and lightwind cruising.
My current foil is 800 cm2 with a 147 board and I believe that (I am 68kg) a +- 120cm board and a 1100 cm2 foil are probably in my ballpark for what I need. I have the chance to ride a Core 125 with 1250cm wing this week which will be interesting but it’s hugely pricey , and I think a bit big, so don’t think I’ll go that way. I am interested in the Gong Curve (M or ML) and having seen some of their foils in the flesh they look decently made and certainly good value…….. Is there any advice or input on sizing or other brands anyone could offer as a decide, Thanks for reading.
i've tried quite a few wings/foils. armstrong, moses, north, lift, naish, canbrinha, even a gong for a short try. I have a north sonar 1150 which i think is better than anything else i have tried. i obviously haven't tried every single wing available for every brand. but everyone has their different style and opinion.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Flyboy » Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:18 am

There are plenty of good foils out there, but it's impossible to beat Gong for price/quality & they have some of their foils at a 30% discount at the minute making them even more affordable. They have introduced a heavier, more solid mast fuselage connection in their V2 alu & carbon foils, but I question whether that's necessary for kite foiling - it seems to me that the beefed up masts are a response to the dramatic increase in Wing foil sales which use much larger front wings.

The MPro wing in medium (now called the Curve M) would be as big as I would go (around 1000 cm2) at your weight. It is quite fast but will also foil at a surprisingly slow speed. I have no problem balancing the MPro. Whatever foil you get you will learn how to adjust your technique to the lift of the foil.
These users thanked the author Flyboy for the post:
windybrit (Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:03 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:26 am

Axis 660, short fuse, 390 GAP wing, 80cm 16mm mast. Will carve like Jack the Ripper.

windybrit
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 69
Local Beach: AAO
Favorite Beaches: Isle de la Madelaine, Isle Lameque........ anywhere I can get water time
Style: awkward
Gear: Slingsht UFO 5 & 8 m
Airush Ultra 12
Cabrinha Moto 7 & 9 , Best TS 6m
OR Jester, Dwarfcraft w Fusion 950 Foil

Postby windybrit » Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:19 pm

Flyboy wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:18 am
There are plenty of good foils out there, but it's impossible to beat Gong for price/quality & they have some of their foils at a 30% discount at the minute making them even more affordable. They have introduced a heavier, more solid mast fuselage connection in their V2 alu & carbon foils, but I question whether that's necessary for kite foiling - it seems to me that the beefed up masts are a response to the dramatic increase in Wing foil sales which use much larger front wings.

The MPro wing in medium (now called the Curve M) would be as big as I would go (around 1000 cm2) at your weight. It is quite fast but will also foil at a surprisingly slow speed. I have no problem balancing the MPro. Whatever foil you get you will learn how to adjust your technique to the lift of the foil.
Ok Thanks, you have addressed what I was thinking about wing size versus my weight, the M sized Curve did seem logical for me. I have the tendancy (just looked at video of last weeks kite trip) to be too far on my back foot so that will be something to work on too….

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:17 pm

windybrit wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:19 pm
Flyboy wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:18 am

Ok Thanks, you have addressed what I was thinking about wing size versus my weight, the M sized Curve did seem logical for me. I have the tendancy (just looked at video of last weeks kite trip) to be too far on my back foot so that will be something to work on too….
Everybody is too far back on their back foot initially. With practice you will learn how to balance the foil - it's all about time on the water.
These users thanked the author Flyboy for the post:
windybrit (Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:03 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Hydrofoil”