Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Chosing my next foil

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
windybrit
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 69
Local Beach: AAO
Favorite Beaches: Isle de la Madelaine, Isle Lameque........ anywhere I can get water time
Style: awkward
Gear: Slingsht UFO 5 & 8 m
Airush Ultra 12
Cabrinha Moto 7 & 9 , Best TS 6m
OR Jester, Dwarfcraft w Fusion 950 Foil
Brand Affiliation: None

Chosing my next foil

Postby windybrit » Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:18 pm

I have dabbled and learned (slowly as I get lamentably few oportunities to ride) over the last while. I have changed my 5 strut kites for 1 strut and
am now at the point where I’ve decided to buy a new foil. I’m not much interested in speed but favour carving (waves) and lightwind cruising.
My current foil is 800 cm2 with a 147 board and I believe that (I am 68kg) a +- 120cm board and a 1100 cm2 foil are probably in my ballpark for what I need. I have the chance to ride a Core 125 with 1250cm wing this week which will be interesting but it’s hugely pricey , and I think a bit big, so don’t think I’ll go that way. I am interested in the Gong Curve (M or ML) and having seen some of their foils in the flesh they look decently made and certainly good value…….. Is there any advice or input on sizing or other brands anyone could offer as a decide, Thanks for reading.

Tony
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 80 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, NC
Style: Foil
Gear: Delta HA Foils 1280,1050,850,700
Airush Nitros and Duotone Slicks
Appletree Jazz
Bunch of other gear I need to sell

Re: Chosing my next foil

Postby Tony » Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:33 pm

Check out Ketos.
I'm 80kg and have multiple wings, most recently the 1000cm2. It covers everything very well.
Love the single bolt KFBox on the board.
The 118 board, mast length of your choice (70, 83, 90, 100) and possible the Karver medium stab.
Ben @ Concept Air is a dealer and close to you ... maybe even demo.
These users thanked the author Tony for the post:
windybrit (Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:58 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

bkkite
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Oyster Bay
Favorite Beaches: Dakhla
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR5 15m , xlite 12m, Nexus 2 9m, XR5 7m

Core Fusion 139, Slingshot Celero 5’8, Slingshot Dwarfcraft 110cm with a Hover Glide Foil and Apollo 60 front wing

Postby bkkite » Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:49 pm

I'm 95KG, and I found switching wings made a huge difference in stability, and ultimately helped me progress faster.

I borrowed a few smaller wings when I first started, so I don't know what sizes they where, but eventually bought a Slingshot Hover Glide with the Space Skate wing, and it made everything else seem like a completely different sport. The space skate was a huge step up in predictability when it came to how it rose up out of the water.

I didn't love how twitchy the Space Skate felt side to side, so I eventually found a used Infinity 76, which is a huge 1500sqcm surf wing, and I was blown away by how much more stable it was. Oddly it also rode a lot faster than the Space Skate.

I've since progressed to an Apollo 60 slingshot wing which is 1120 sq cm, and think I've found a sweet spot for now. It goes quite a bit faster than the big surf wing, but it gives up surprisingly little stability. Anyway, these may not be the wings for you given the weight difference, but I'm definitely advocating trying different wings and bigger wings. I think if you find one that really connects with how you ride and your weight, you'll be blown away, and you'll make progress a lot faster.

I'm working on a video review of the new wing, but don't have it finished to share now. Here's some shots of me getting the crap kicked out of me learning to foil, and wishing I'd learned about the bigger wing sooner.

mar menor
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 70kgs
Local Beach: Mar Menor - los narejos ,la llana, Cabo de palos
Favorite Beaches: Calblanque, El Pinet
Gear: Ozone Alpha V2 10m,PLKB Ozone Alpha v1 8m,PLKB Synergy and Swell 8m & 6m
Boards-Groove skate and moses 633 and 679,north fish.ocean rodeo mako,Nobile 666
Brand Affiliation: Ozone ,PLKB,Prolimit

Postby mar menor » Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:50 pm

ozone

leeuwen
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Anything in NL
Style: Foiling around
Gear: KauperXT 11M Falcon
Ocean Rodeo aluula roam 10m / HL Crave 8m/6m/5m
Slingshot ghost 4M
Sabfoil 1350L,633,699,671/ 83-103 kraken mast / Groove Skate L + Radical / Sabfoil T35 / Microchip
Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby leeuwen » Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:49 am

mar menor wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:50 pm
ozone
That is not a useful comment.
Based on your profile I guess you just mention them because you have a brand affiliation.

Ozone just launched their first foil and you have the choice of exactly one front wing and stabilizer at a pretty steep price especially if you consider the poster finding Core already expensive.

I think in the Gong price category you probably cannot find anything that beats that unless you have happen to stumble across a good used deal.

I personally love my W633 Sabfoil/Moses but I am a tad heavier at 75-ish kg, not sure how much difference that 5KG makes.
Its about the same price as the Core but with a full Carbon setup.
If you can get the alu mast version its probably a fair bit cheaper but I am not sure if they still make those.
Not sure how good their availability/pricing is outside of Europe but its probably one of the better price/performance options in the category and they have a proven track record and a big amount of available wings and stabilizers.

Since you already have foiling experience I would try to get a Demo from a shop or make some foiling friends on the beach.
These users thanked the author leeuwen for the post:
windybrit (Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:51 am)

HugoMC
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Dolly
Style: Freeride
Gear: Gaastra Pure :)

Postby HugoMC » Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:32 am

I have been following gong for a while but never purchased till recently. The quality of there products is superb but probably slightly over built..... Strong at the cost of weight which I like to be honest.

I got a wing set up.... I have ridden 2 of there foils so far and both are very good (X-OVER and Rise).... I have the fluid on order...

I think I will be sticking with Gong for a while.....
These users thanked the author HugoMC for the post:
windybrit (Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:52 am)

joekitetime
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Weight: 160
Local Beach: Sherman Island, SF BAY CA
Style: Surf Foiler
Gear: Appletree, FONE, Mike's Lab, Peak4, Mystic, Wainman Hawaii

Postby joekitetime » Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:37 pm

My current kite foil is a fone mirage 800, which is an epic foil - so just mentioning the square cm isn't super helpful. I wing now, although I kite foiled for years and still do when it is lighter winds. I've ridden pretty much every foil slingshot, Moses and Fone make, and now I'm riding Mike's Lab. I only mention that to tell you where I'm coming from.

Regarding upgrading, there are plenty of great foils out there. Part of your decision will depend on what you want to do on foil - go fast, surf, freestyle, jump? Different foils do different things well (well, not true - some foils are only good for paper weights! But I digress).

I tend to think of it as a platform - which platform will allow you to change and expand and experiment? Personally I got burned out on Moses, but they do offer a considerable variety in terms of a good platform - they have a foil for everything. They are not a bad way to go for sure. There is a good marked for used Moses gear as well.

I hope that helps some.

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:23 pm

Tony wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:33 pm
Check out Ketos.
I'm 80kg and have multiple wings, most recently the 1000cm2. It covers everything very well.
Love the single bolt KFBox on the board.
The 118 board, mast length of your choice (70, 83, 90, 100) and possible the Karver medium stab.
Ben @ Concept Air is a dealer and close to you ... maybe even demo.
+1 for the Ketos foils. In addition to what is mentioned I would say their low aspect wave oriented wings have nice soft edges, friendly behavior in whitewater and gentle reentry characteristics in the event of ventilation. Finally: nice light weight is definitely a plus if you find yourself tumbling in a wave with the foil.

The Ketos wings all work with balanced foot position without having to worry about moving the mast back and forth. Rear wing shims are available but again generally not needed.

I would compare the Kool 1200 to the Moses 633 with the following differences: nothing sharp, thinner profile, a little less lift at low speed, a little less front foot pressure at higher speed.

Short fuselage and small rear wing decrease stability in yaw and pitch but increase maneuverability.

Windigo1
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Foil foil.. and Old School!
Gear: Too many to list

Postby Windigo1 » Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:40 pm

I have the Gong M Pro (same as the curve just the previous name) It's a nice foil. I own 5 or 6 foils and I have had a few more that I sold. The Gong M is a bit faster than the 633 the reference in terms of big foil wings. It has a bit less low-end speed. The stability and carving is pretty good. Build quality is good. One reason I don't use it much is that it's very lifty and you need a board with a track way in the back of the board to make the foil balanced. I like when my foil are pretty neutral no crazy front foot pressure. The Gong has too much front foot pressure for my taste and you can't shimm the rear wing since it's all one piece. The track is not far back enough on the board that I own. I ordered the smallest stab they make and it's still a bit too lifty for my taste. Maybe if you ride strapless and you move your feets to the front of the board it's not bad but I like a strap or a hook in front. Maybe with the Gong board that's made for it it would be better. Anyway something to consider..
These users thanked the author Windigo1 for the post:
windybrit (Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:55 am)

GTC
Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish

Postby GTC » Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:04 pm

Windigo1 wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:40 pm
One reason I don't use it much is that it's very lifty and you need a board with a track way in the back of the board to make the foil balanced. I like when my foil are pretty neutral no crazy front foot pressure. The Gong has too much front foot pressure for my taste and you can't shimm the rear wing since it's all one piece. The track is not far back enough on the board that I own. I ordered the smallest stab they make and it's still a bit too lifty for my taste.
I am learning on a Gong Pro M and this wing has made learning difficult for me. It's very lifty and quite hard to ride flat without taking off.
These users thanked the author GTC for the post (total 2):
windybrit (Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:55 am) • 1234567Simon (Sat Jul 17, 2021 10:39 am)
Rating: 6.06%

Return to “Hydrofoil”