Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Seeking Single-Strut LEI Advice

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Eduardo
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Favorite Beaches: Anywhere with a left break
Style: waves and foiling (X big-air junkie)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo and Cabrinha kites. North and Slingshot boards. Lift foils.
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Seeking Single-Strut LEI Advice

Postby Eduardo » Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:33 am

SENDIT! wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:04 pm
I would also suggest the Ocean Rodeo Roam Aluula. It’s a bit pricier, but it is super light. And you get the stability and increased range of a 3 strut. I don’t know the weight of the aforementioned Boxer or Pivot, but the 12m Roam is 5.1 lbs (2.3 kg) and the 10m Roam is 4.4 lbs (2 kg).
I agree. if your budget permits then this + Duotone's recently announced Aluula should be in the mix with one strut or no strut.

To the OP: Pivot is not a great foiling kite so by swapping out, at least for your lightest air kite, you will get an improvement due to kite design AND due to weight reduction. you will be very happy. The specifics of your choice within this category of light wind, light weight, foiling kite will probably be less of an impact than this bigger switch from Pivot.

Pivots are great kites for boosting, easy looping, and on-shore waves. Just not foiling as they do not like to be under powered and need a lot of attention and demand to be flown precisely in the right spot. they are very needy and detract from the fun. a foiling kite will be able to be "ignored" and just have fun and the kite will be mostly where it should be unless you really mess up.

rnelias
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: RJ, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: Arubinha, RJ
Cumbuco, CE
Barra da Tijuca, RJ
Praia da Bica, RJ
Style: freeride
Gear: Boxer 9m for foiling
Rebel SLS 8m or Crave HL 9m for boosting on twintip

Postby rnelias » Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:47 am

just to add more data to help you answer your question, I'm 72kg (158lbs according to Google :P) and can waterstart with a 1250cm^2 wing on 8k using an Alpha v1 8m (that, now, Ozone seems to have it renamed as Catalyst v3). The Alpha 8m weights just 2kg and start flying in just 6-7k of wind. I think an Alpha 10m would be the perfect size to cover the wind range I have in my local spot. It would allow me to ride with smaller wings too.

Diego Gama
Rare Poster
Weight: 95
Style: Big Air/Hydrofoil
Gear: Duotone Dice/Rebel/Evo 2020

Postby Diego Gama » Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:42 am

I had the same question than you and last weekend I ride a one-struct kite.
I am around 209 pounds/95kg, I was riding slingshot space skate foil and a Duotone Mono 5m, wind was around 8-10ms. Honestly I could ride even though Im just a begginer on foil. I wasnt overpowered but enough for riding, turning upwind seemed overpowered. It was surprising for me and the water relaunch is almost automatically done.
I think for the future own a 7m mono to ride on the lighter wind days.

Onda
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: Baltic Sea / North Sea (Germany)
Favorite Beaches: Wijk aan Zee (NL)
Ouddorp (NL)
Norre Vorupor (DK)
Heiligenhafen (DE)
Style: strictly unstrapped, mainly foiling
Gear: Slingshot / Infexion / Alpine / F-One / CORE / Firewire / Duotone

Postby Onda » Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:54 pm

I have personal experience with the
2019/2020 Boxer in 8 & 10 m²
Flysurfer Peak4 in 4 / 5 / 8 m²
Core Section1 in 5 / 7 m² (not relevant here, as they´re 3-strut kites)
The Boxer is nice, but the Peak is a totally different level in terms of drift, lightwind stability, ease of handling / flying (particularly in low wind). The only downside of the Peak is that it cannot be waterrelaunched (more or less). But anyway it never falls down :lol: A 5 m² Peak has the same (slightly better) wind range than the 8 m² Boxer, I ride the 5 m² Peak from 11 to 16/17 kts with the Moses W633 wing. Since I have the Peaks I have never touched my LEI kites again.

I´ve briefly used the F-One Breeze V3 in 9 m². Much better than the Boxer, really surprising (much faster turning, more power per m², better depower). But compared with the Peak, it still feels brutally powerful and sluggish.
What I hate for foiling is a kite that pulls hard. I like to be powered just enough, with minimal drive from the kite. The Peak is ideal for this as it generates by far the "softest power" of all kites I know. This might not be ideal for some, however.

rnelias
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: RJ, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: Arubinha, RJ
Cumbuco, CE
Barra da Tijuca, RJ
Praia da Bica, RJ
Style: freeride
Gear: Boxer 9m for foiling
Rebel SLS 8m or Crave HL 9m for boosting on twintip

Postby rnelias » Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:27 pm

Onda wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:54 pm
I have personal experience with the
2019/2020 Boxer in 8 & 10 m²
Flysurfer Peak4 in 4 / 5 / 8 m²
Core Section1 in 5 / 7 m² (not relevant here, as they´re 3-strut kites)
The Boxer is nice, but the Peak is a totally different level in terms of drift, lightwind stability, ease of handling / flying (particularly in low wind). The only downside of the Peak is that it cannot be waterrelaunched (more or less). But anyway it never falls down :lol: A 5 m² Peak has the same (slightly better) wind range than the 8 m² Boxer, I ride the 5 m² Peak from 11 to 16/17 kts with the Moses W633 wing. Since I have the Peaks I have never touched my LEI kites again.

I´ve briefly used the F-One Breeze V3 in 9 m². Much better than the Boxer, really surprising (much faster turning, more power per m², better depower). But compared with the Peak, it still feels brutally powerful and sluggish.
What I hate for foiling is a kite that pulls hard. I like to be powered just enough, with minimal drive from the kite. The Peak is ideal for this as it generates by far the "softest power" of all kites I know. This might not be ideal for some, however.
what's your weight?

I've been foiling with an Alpha v1 8m and I can water start with a 1250cm^2 wing at 8 knots but with a 1000cm^2 is a struggle. I'm 72kg and was thinking about getting a Peak4 to try. The problem is: which size? (that would cover my range here)

Return to “Hydrofoil”