A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Knowone
Rare Poster
Style: wave/foil
Gear: Drifters
Brand Affiliation: None

Evolution of struts

Postby Knowone » Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:41 pm

Originally struts where just that part that attached the wing to the board. Thin, hydrodynamic and light seemed to be the most important design criteria. .They all looked very similar, more or less..
As wing design progressed, we needed improved ability to transmit the input to the wing for ultimate control-yaw, pitch and roll-, and overall stiffens became more important to designers.
Two years ago I upgraded from the stock Lift mast to a Cedros Project mast (both 91cm.), I was immediately rewarded with tighter radius turns and faster 'edge to edge' control. The increased stiffness of the Cedros mast was easy to feel both on the land (turn your board upside down, place a foot on it and try twisting the wing) and on the water.
For those of us that are looking for longer struts, without sacrificing rigidity, new criteria for design has been embraced...my strut must be STIFF, long (110+) and hydrodynamic...
I settled on the new LP strut (Peter of LP calls it 'the beast')...It's more than stiff, it's ROCK SOLID...111cm, hydrodynamic..and pretty.
Attachments
struts.jpeg
struts.jpeg (120.84 KiB) Viewed 1632 times
These users thanked the author Knowone for the post:
simcoloco (Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:47 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

simcoloco
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Favorite Beaches: Gorge
Style: Freeride swell foiling
Gear: BRM Cloud Kites, Lift Foils

Re: Evolution of struts

Postby simcoloco » Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:53 pm

Thanks for the info on this strut/ mast, as it would be the perfect upgrade for someone looking for a longer Lift mast. Would be a nice single mast to use for both kitefoil and wingfoil, as it must be stiff for the large wings.
I like the Project Cedros mast design and concept, but at 91cm max length, it is too short to consider for me.

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:12 pm

How much are they?

Knowone
Rare Poster
Style: wave/foil
Gear: Drifters

Postby Knowone » Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:56 pm

Cost for the mast Is $550 USD...
All metal masts and most (older) carbon mast have uniform construction along their length...a 10% longer mast will have 10% more flex.
I believe that most of the "better control' or 'snappiness" attributed too short masts is due to their relative stiffens relative to a longer version of the same mast, not due to the longer arc that a longer mast must travel to go from 'edge to edge'.

estipendio
Rare Poster
Weight: 69
Local Beach: Valdevaqueros, Punta Paloma, Tarifa, El Palmar
Favorite Beaches: Valdevaqueros
Style: Zaharadirect, es una web que gestiona de
Gear: wake park riding
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Kitesurfing equipment prices

Postby estipendio » Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:37 pm

Kite(s)
For most people, one kite might be enough especially if the spot where you practice offers stable and consistent conditions. For others, you might need to consider buying 2 different sized kites to allow you to get on the water most days within a season.

New: $1000-$2000 (€800-€1800) per kite (depends on kite size)
Used: $600-$1000 (€500-€800)
Control Bar/Lines
You most probably will only need one bar. Top tip; ensure the line connections are compatible with the kite connection points as these differ with some kite brands. Also, make sure the safety system will allow the kite to flag out once activated.

New: $350-$650 (€300-€600)
Used: $100-$400 (€100-€300)
Board
Boards come in a variety of different shapes and sizes depending on what discipline you are into and also your kitesurfing level. For a beginner, the boards to keep an eye out for will be fairly large and have a gentle flat rocker making it easy to get riding..

New: around $600 (€500)
Used: around $400 (€300)
Harness
Harnesses have been developed hugely in recent years with the introduction of hard shell harnesses. These are quickly becoming a popular choice as they provide more support. This technology doesn't come cheap therefore meaning the prices can change quite drastically.

New: $100-$400 (€90-€300)

Return to “Hydrofoil”