Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

New Gong foils

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

New Gong foils

Postby Flyboy » Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:36 am

I recently picked up a new 85cm Carbon mast/fuselage (after a long wait for availability). I can't say there's a huge difference between my V1 alu foil. It does feel a little more solid & stable underfoot &, of course, it's lighter, although not by a huge amount - about 700 gms. The V2 alu foils have a beefed up mast/fuselage connection which presumably makes them heavier. I'm guessing that the main point of this is to handle the force created by the large front wings used for winging & surf foiling.

I was interested in getting a new front wing - either a Curve MT or a Fluid - but they just haven't been available up to now. I ended up getting a new Curve M which came with the 40 cm/250 cm2 Kite stab. Up to now I have been using the 40cm/210 cm2 Surf stab which is anhedral. The Kite stab is flat ( and somewhat smaller). First session today & the difference with the Kite stab was quite noticeable: less stable in a straight line & carving, but more slippery & faster feeling. As you would expect, it feels less draggy in a straight line. Interesting that the new Curve stab is anhedral with winglets ... which is the same shape as the stab on my 2018 LP foil.

Ours has just posted a video explaining the new Gong foil line.

Last edited by Flyboy on Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ieism
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Gear: Flysurfer Peak 4

Re: New Gong foils

Postby ieism » Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:36 am

Thats a great video, their range is impressive.

I'm on the X-over wing as a total beginner and was riding after just a few sessions. I guess it depends, but I did not find it hard to learn on coming from a strapless surfboard. I chose Gong for the price and available upgrades, but I feel like I can ride this setup for a while as I'm nt that interested in speed. I might upgrade to a wng that can turn fast when I get good enough to do jibes and tacks although I've never been able to tack on a surfboard with my Peak 4 kites anyway.

azoele
Medium Poster
Gear: Airush DNA 14

Postby azoele » Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:04 pm

Hi Flyboy,

I confess having had very different impressions moving to a V.2 carbon mast.

When I switched from the 100 Carbon V.1 to the V.2 I was extremely surprised at the difference in feeling: the board seemed "stiffer" under my feet, actually more fatiguing, but also way more reactive.
And apparently, the 85cm is even thicker than the 100 V2 to make it even more rigid and resistant, as it is thought for radical wing-foiling.

Perhaps you do not feel the difference too much because you use smaller wings, which stress the mast a lot less, and are lighter weight?
I usually ride "L" sizes and am over 100Kg...

PS:
*thanks a lot for the video*!!! Guenole as usual is super super clear.
It convinced me to try the Fluid... which of course just today slipped from July 30 to September 10 :-(

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:29 pm

azoele wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:04 pm
Hi Flyboy,

I confess having had very different impressions moving to a V.2 carbon mast.

When I switched from the 100 Carbon V.1 to the V.2 I was extremely surprised at the difference in feeling: the board seemed "stiffer" under my feet, actually more fatiguing, but also way more reactive.
And apparently, the 85cm is even thicker than the 100 V2 to make it even more rigid and resistant, as it is thought for radical wing-foiling.

Perhaps you do not feel the difference too much because you use smaller wings, which stress the mast a lot less, and are lighter weight?
I usually ride "L" sizes and am over 100Kg...

PS:
*thanks a lot for the video*!!! Guenole as usual is super super clear.
It convinced me to try the Fluid... which of course just today slipped from July 30 to September 10 :-(
Interesting. Just so I understand, you switched from the V1 100 cm carbon mast to the V2 100 cm carbon mast? It's possible that there is less difference in stiffness between the V1 90 cm alu mast & the new 85cm carbon mast than between the V1 & V2 100 cm carbon masts. Also, yes - I'm using the M size wings & weigh 82 kg, so that might make a difference.

in any case, I'm not saying categorically there is little or no difference. I think I would have to switch back to the alu mast for a session to see if I notice a significant difference. In comparison, the difference between the small surf stab & the small fast stab was immediately very noticeable.

Yeah - I would be interested to try the Fluid ... but there's been no guarantee of a firm availability date & shipping a single wing to NA is expensive (although Gong's shipping charges for a full foil have been very reasonable).

Return to “Hydrofoil”