Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

New Gong foils

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

New Gong foils

Postby Flyboy » Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:36 am

I recently picked up a new 85cm Carbon mast/fuselage (after a long wait for availability). I can't say there's a huge difference between my V1 alu foil. It does feel a little more solid & stable underfoot &, of course, it's lighter, although not by a huge amount - about 700 gms. The V2 alu foils have a beefed up mast/fuselage connection which presumably makes them heavier. I'm guessing that the main point of this is to handle the force created by the large front wings used for winging & surf foiling.

I was interested in getting a new front wing - either a Curve MT or a Fluid - but they just haven't been available up to now. I ended up getting a new Curve M which came with the 40 cm/250 cm2 Kite stab. Up to now I have been using the 40cm/210 cm2 Surf stab which is anhedral. The Kite stab is flat ( and somewhat smaller). First session today & the difference with the Kite stab was quite noticeable: less stable in a straight line & carving, but more slippery & faster feeling. As you would expect, it feels less draggy in a straight line. Interesting that the new Curve stab is anhedral with winglets ... which is the same shape as the stab on my 2018 LP foil.

Ours has just posted a video explaining the new Gong foil line.

Last edited by Flyboy on Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ieism
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Local Beach: Ijmuiden
Favorite Beaches: Beauduc, Rockanje
Style: Foil.
Gear: Flysurfer Peak 5: 4/5/6/8/11m
Kauper XT Falcon 11m
Dwarfcraft 110cm
Gong Curve, Pro stab fuse 85 carbon mast

Re: New Gong foils

Postby ieism » Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:36 am

Thats a great video, their range is impressive.

I'm on the X-over wing as a total beginner and was riding after just a few sessions. I guess it depends, but I did not find it hard to learn on coming from a strapless surfboard. I chose Gong for the price and available upgrades, but I feel like I can ride this setup for a while as I'm nt that interested in speed. I might upgrade to a wng that can turn fast when I get good enough to do jibes and tacks although I've never been able to tack on a surfboard with my Peak 4 kites anyway.

azoele
Frequent Poster
Gear: Airush DNA 14

Postby azoele » Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:04 pm

Hi Flyboy,

I confess having had very different impressions moving to a V.2 carbon mast.

When I switched from the 100 Carbon V.1 to the V.2 I was extremely surprised at the difference in feeling: the board seemed "stiffer" under my feet, actually more fatiguing, but also way more reactive.
And apparently, the 85cm is even thicker than the 100 V2 to make it even more rigid and resistant, as it is thought for radical wing-foiling.

Perhaps you do not feel the difference too much because you use smaller wings, which stress the mast a lot less, and are lighter weight?
I usually ride "L" sizes and am over 100Kg...

PS:
*thanks a lot for the video*!!! Guenole as usual is super super clear.
It convinced me to try the Fluid... which of course just today slipped from July 30 to September 10 :-(

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:29 pm

azoele wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:04 pm
Hi Flyboy,

I confess having had very different impressions moving to a V.2 carbon mast.

When I switched from the 100 Carbon V.1 to the V.2 I was extremely surprised at the difference in feeling: the board seemed "stiffer" under my feet, actually more fatiguing, but also way more reactive.
And apparently, the 85cm is even thicker than the 100 V2 to make it even more rigid and resistant, as it is thought for radical wing-foiling.

Perhaps you do not feel the difference too much because you use smaller wings, which stress the mast a lot less, and are lighter weight?
I usually ride "L" sizes and am over 100Kg...

PS:
*thanks a lot for the video*!!! Guenole as usual is super super clear.
It convinced me to try the Fluid... which of course just today slipped from July 30 to September 10 :-(
Interesting. Just so I understand, you switched from the V1 100 cm carbon mast to the V2 100 cm carbon mast? It's possible that there is less difference in stiffness between the V1 90 cm alu mast & the new 85cm carbon mast than between the V1 & V2 100 cm carbon masts. Also, yes - I'm using the M size wings & weigh 82 kg, so that might make a difference.

in any case, I'm not saying categorically there is little or no difference. I think I would have to switch back to the alu mast for a session to see if I notice a significant difference. In comparison, the difference between the small surf stab & the small fast stab was immediately very noticeable.

Yeah - I would be interested to try the Fluid ... but there's been no guarantee of a firm availability date & shipping a single wing to NA is expensive (although Gong's shipping charges for a full foil have been very reasonable).

MathPeuz
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Weight: 85
Local Beach: Blimsanden - Ålesund - Norway
Style: Strapless foiling + snowkiting
Gear: Kites:
Gong Strutless 5/7/9/11
Gong Unik 3.3/4.4
Gong Freewave 7/9
Flysurfer Peak4 3
Flysurfer Peak5 4/6/8
PLKB Ibex ultralight 12

Board:
Crazyfly carbon Twintip
Custom carbon 3'4 (foil)
Custom strapless surf 4'11

Foil:
Gong carbon mast HM 92
Gong Fluid S
Brand Affiliation: Foilsport.no teamrider
Has thanked: 0

Postby MathPeuz » Sun Aug 15, 2021 10:22 am

I've just tryed the Fluid M this week. It's a very nice foil, it's like an unleashed Curve. It really slots fine between the Veloce and the Curve. I'm pretty sure it will be my go-to foil for strapless. I need to test it in stronger wind but so far very happy.
I'm still waiting for the fluid stab 40cm. I used the Veloce 43cm and the kite stab 40cm when testing the Fluid.
When it comes to the mast, I have the 100cm V1 and 85cm V2. The V2 is more rigid, but it's hard to compare my V1 100cm is pretty old (one of the first one, december 19).
I'm considering to get the 100cm V2

Gerwinnaar
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Roam Aluula 10m
North carve 3m, 5m, 7m 2022
Airush one 4m 2021

North comp 5’4 2020
North scoop 2021
Gong new Curve M
Gong new Curve S

Postby Gerwinnaar » Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:23 am

ieism wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:36 am

I'm on the X-over wing as a total beginner and was riding after just a few sessions. I guess it depends, but I did not find it hard to learn on coming from a strapless surfboard. I chose Gong for the price and available upgrades, but I feel like I can ride this setup for a while as I'm nt that interested in speed. I might upgrade to a wng that can turn fast when I get good enough to do jibes and tacks although I've never been able to tack on a surfboard with my Peak 4 kites anyway.
Hi, I am thinking of buying the X-Over as well, but can’t fin any reviews or video’s about it.
Did you buy an extra 65cm mast to learn?
Can you share from how many knots you kitefoil it with which kite?

mede
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 72 kg dry
Local Beach: Lake Geneva
Favorite Beaches: Sri Lanka West Coast, Marsa Alam, Cape Verde, Tarifa, Beauduc, Corpus Christi, Ceara
Style: Foil, Strapless surf, Big Air
Gear: Kite:> Tomo Vader 5.1 HE & KS MariMacho board,
Gong YpraS Foils,
Pansh Kestrel, Kauper Falcon, Blade Trigger kites.
Wing:> Amos Shapes Sultan Custom board,
Gong YpraS + Ypra Surf Foils,
Gong UPE Aramid Droid & Neutra Wings
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby mede » Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:39 pm

I got the v2 100 cm carbon mast, and it is noticeably stiffer and more lively compared to the 90 cm Alu mast.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:27 pm

Gerwinnaar wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:23 am
ieism wrote:

Hi, I am thinking of buying the X-Over as well, but can’t fin any reviews or video’s about it.
If I were you, I would look at the Curve set up, either in M or L, depending on your weight. It's a fantastic deal right now & a very nice wing. You could add a 65cm mast to the order for a very small amount. How useful is a 65cm mast for learning? It will definitely make the first few sessions less intimidating ... but you will quickly want to switch to the full length mast once you are actually riding the foil as it will significantly reduce your "sudden breaching" events.

https://www.gong-galaxy.com/en/product/ ... lu-carbon/

ieism
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Local Beach: Ijmuiden
Favorite Beaches: Beauduc, Rockanje
Style: Foil.
Gear: Flysurfer Peak 5: 4/5/6/8/11m
Kauper XT Falcon 11m
Dwarfcraft 110cm
Gong Curve, Pro stab fuse 85 carbon mast

Postby ieism » Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:50 pm

Gerwinnaar wrote:
ieism wrote:

It's an easy wing I think, I ride in about 8 knots I guess with a peak4 8m. It's not fast but I like slow for practicing as I'm a total beginner. It was never meant for me to ride forever, I'm a beginner. I'm now practicing my foot changes and tacks so it's a good setup for learning and I have no need to upgrade.
I don't get why people get a short mast, you can ride a long mast no problem and learn on it. Maybe you crash a little harder a few times but after a few sessions you're riding and the length is useful for waves and turning.

I think when I get better I would look for something that turns faster from gong, for carving and waveriding. I'm not into speed, I don't go over 30km/h most sessions.

Gerwinnaar
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Roam Aluula 10m
North carve 3m, 5m, 7m 2022
Airush one 4m 2021

North comp 5’4 2020
North scoop 2021
Gong new Curve M
Gong new Curve S

Postby Gerwinnaar » Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:56 pm

ieism wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:50 pm
Gerwinnaar wrote:
ieism wrote:

It's an easy wing I think, I ride in about 8 knots I guess with a peak4 8m. It's not fast but I like slow for practicing as I'm a total beginner. It was never meant for me to ride forever, I'm a beginner. I'm now practicing my foot changes and tacks so it's a good setup for learning and I have no need to upgrade.
I don't get why people get a short mast, you can ride a long mast no problem and learn on it. Maybe you crash a little harder a few times but after a few sessions you're riding and the length is useful for waves and turning.

I think when I get better I would look for something that turns faster from gong, for carving and waveriding. I'm not into speed, I don't go over 30km/h most sessions.
Thanks! I don’t want to go fast as well, so I think the X-Over is the right choice!

Return to “Hydrofoil”