Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Had Low Wind Breakthrough For Big Guys Like Me 100 kg

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Kitedougiefresh
Medium Poster
Posts: 90
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:57 pm
Kiting since: 1996
Weight: 215
Local Beach: Lido, Siesta Key, Turtle, Venice
Sarasota Florida.
Style: Surf & Swell
Gear: Peak 4 5 m
Peak 4 8 m
Pulsion 18M
Slingshot Hover glide w/Apollo 60 & SS 100 cm Dwarf craft On Good Wind Days
SS Infinity 99 cm wing SS Alien Air For Low Wind Days
Has thanked: 64 times
Been thanked: 19 times

Re: Had Low Wind Breakthrough For Big Guys Like Me 100 kg

Postby Kitedougiefresh » Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:18 am

bigtone667 wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:26 am
tautologies wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:10 pm
Kitedougiefresh wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:26 pm
I have tried several things to lower my minimum wind speed needed to foil. I use a 2300+ cm front wing.(Slingshot Infinity 99)and a Concept Air 18M Pulsion Kite. Both have helped, but the latest thing has made the most difference. I am now using a 7' Naish Sky Pirate surf board with a stick on foil mount. I am curious to what others will say, but to me the board is creating more resistance against the kite, which is huge on under 10 knot days. This allows me to get up on the board and then at this point if I am not able to foil instantly, I can send the kite again and build up enough speed to get to foil, which is not very much with the infinity wing. I can now just ride the surfboard in to shore if the wind drops too much. Also, I am using the 12 m Pulsion and wondering if I need the 18M anymore. It is to the point that even on days when the kite doesn't want to hang in the air without help, that I can send it hard and get up. I am not able to do with my Peak 13M. The Pulsion has a lot more lift. Anyone else made the same discovery?
As a "big" guy I don't use a bigger kite than a 6 or 7 with a foil...I have a 97cm board and a surf jet foil. I now use the medium size from naish but I also have a 1250cm2. A big board will definitely add drag in terms of getting up to speed and on foil. I mean if you are comfortable in the air, you really should not need much board at all. But the key is really to get a bigger foil. So you definitely do not need a huge kite unless you are going for speed and racing.
What sort of kite and what is the wind low end?
Pulsion 18. Around 6-7

Kitedougiefresh
Medium Poster
Posts: 90
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:57 pm
Kiting since: 1996
Weight: 215
Local Beach: Lido, Siesta Key, Turtle, Venice
Sarasota Florida.
Style: Surf & Swell
Gear: Peak 4 5 m
Peak 4 8 m
Pulsion 18M
Slingshot Hover glide w/Apollo 60 & SS 100 cm Dwarf craft On Good Wind Days
SS Infinity 99 cm wing SS Alien Air For Low Wind Days
Has thanked: 64 times
Been thanked: 19 times

Re: Had Low Wind Breakthrough For Big Guys Like Me 100 kg

Postby Kitedougiefresh » Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:22 am

tautologies wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:27 pm
Kamikuza wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:56 am
bkkite wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:26 pm
He's on the Infinity 99, which is the biggest wing I've ever seen :) Not sure if there's many options bigger?
Axis has several wider wings, but I think none have more surface area.

https://axisfoils.com/products/s-series ... front-wing

I have a 2450 which is bigger in surface area, but I am not using it for kiting. I could not imagine using a bigger kite than a 4 with that much foil. 18 would be impossible to handle. My 1250 is as big as I would want to use a 6 with. I just got a 1050 to be able to go faster...at that size I go immediately to foil. Barely any board needed at all.
At 100KG a 4 m would not have enough to pull me up onto the board, especially at 7-8 wind speed which is when i use this setup. Otherwise, on a 633 wing with a SS 100 cm baby board when 12 or more.

User avatar
Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 6839
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:49 am
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other
Has thanked: 159 times
Been thanked: 155 times

Re: Had Low Wind Breakthrough For Big Guys Like Me 100 kg

Postby Kamikuza » Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:31 pm

Kitedougiefresh wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:55 pm
I think you are correct. The wing is not even meant for kiting. Designed for a windsurfer setup..
It's for free-pumping.

User avatar
Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 6839
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:49 am
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other
Has thanked: 159 times
Been thanked: 155 times

Re: Had Low Wind Breakthrough For Big Guys Like Me 100 kg

Postby Kamikuza » Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:48 pm

tautologies wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:27 pm
I have a 2450 which is bigger in surface area, but I am not using it for kiting. I could not imagine using a bigger kite than a 4 with that much foil. 18 would be impossible to handle. My 1250 is as big as I would want to use a 6 with. I just got a 1050 to be able to go faster...at that size I go immediately to foil. Barely any board needed at all.
BigTone kites with the 1020, which is 2000cm2 :lol: I tried it once with a 90cm mast cos I had nothing else that day, but it was horrible.

As kitedougiefresh said, the issue for bigger guys is that power spike for getting out of the water with smaller kites and lighter winds. With my 21m foil kite, I could get up and riding in the silliest of light wind, but then when it inevitably picked up I'd rapidly be over-powered ... and the riding was pretty much lawn mowing anyway.

So I gave that up for a smaller faster kite, which lost me maybe 5 knots of bottom end starting ability, but only a couple of knots for riding ... and if I can water start, then I'm going to have at least an ok time. If the wind drops and I'm riding, I can make it back to a safer place ... so long as I don't bin it!

I've also gone down from my old faithful 820 wing to the 660, saving the 820 for desperation days.

bkkite
Frequent Poster
Posts: 274
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:45 pm
Local Beach: South Oyster Bay (Long Island)
Favorite Beaches: Kalpitiya, Sri Lanka
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR4 7/9/12/15. Nobile NHP and Nobile split surf / foil board. Slingshot hover glide foil
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 16 times
Been thanked: 42 times

Re: Had Low Wind Breakthrough For Big Guys Like Me 100 kg

Postby bkkite » Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:42 pm

Kamikuza wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:48 pm
tautologies wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:27 pm
I have a 2450 which is bigger in surface area, but I am not using it for kiting. I could not imagine using a bigger kite than a 4 with that much foil. 18 would be impossible to handle. My 1250 is as big as I would want to use a 6 with. I just got a 1050 to be able to go faster...at that size I go immediately to foil. Barely any board needed at all.
BigTone kites with the 1020, which is 2000cm2 :lol: I tried it once with a 90cm mast cos I had nothing else that day, but it was horrible.

As kitedougiefresh said, the issue for bigger guys is that power spike for getting out of the water with smaller kites and lighter winds. With my 21m foil kite, I could get up and riding in the silliest of light wind, but then when it inevitably picked up I'd rapidly be over-powered ... and the riding was pretty much lawn mowing anyway.

So I gave that up for a smaller faster kite, which lost me maybe 5 knots of bottom end starting ability, but only a couple of knots for riding ... and if I can water start, then I'm going to have at least an ok time. If the wind drops and I'm riding, I can make it back to a safer place ... so long as I don't bin it!

I've also gone down from my old faithful 820 wing to the 660, saving the 820 for desperation days.
Yeah, overall that Infinity 99 wing is enormous, and combine with an 18m... that seems like a lot to get going that low. I mean I've flown a 15m Core XR with a Slingshot Infinity 76, and a Nobile infinity foil 5'2... and I can ride just over 10mph... I just switched to a Core Xlite 12m with that same setup, and I've been out in the 8mph to 10mph, and more recently I just switched the Slingshot Apollo 60... which requires a bit more to get going.

Guess I'm saying what everyone else says, which is its more fun with a smaller kite. And eventually as you get more efficient at water starting and riding, you can even sneak a smaller wing in there. I was nervous the 12m would be too small, but its move pretty fast and stays up in really light wind. I feel like its the sweet spot for me riding in the doldrums of summer light wind.

User avatar
Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 6839
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:49 am
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other
Has thanked: 159 times
Been thanked: 155 times

Re: Had Low Wind Breakthrough For Big Guys Like Me 100 kg

Postby Kamikuza » Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:49 pm

bkkite wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:42 pm
Yeah, overall that Infinity 99 wing is enormous, and combine with an 18m... that seems like a lot to get going that low. I mean I've flown a 15m Core XR with a Slingshot Infinity 76, and a Nobile infinity foil 5'2... and I can ride just over 10mph... I just switched to a Core Xlite 12m with that same setup, and I've been out in the 8mph to 10mph, and more recently I just switched the Slingshot Apollo 60... which requires a bit more to get going.

Guess I'm saying what everyone else says, which is its more fun with a smaller kite. And eventually as you get more efficient at water starting and riding, you can even sneak a smaller wing in there. I was nervous the 12m would be too small, but its move pretty fast and stays up in really light wind. I feel like its the sweet spot for me riding in the doldrums of summer light wind.
I've ridden a few times with my 12m Switchblade, but it's too slow for very light wind and just a tad more and it pulls like a truck.

Guess it depends on your spot -- so often we get light wind that actually picks up eventually after some time so the big kites are pointless, if you wait a little. Over on the coast though, there are days you really need ... something more.

I was super-impressed with the Flite 12m Aluula I had for a couple of sessions. Incredible low end grunt and it actually drifted ok too. I'd like to demo a bigger single strut kite too...

bkkite
Frequent Poster
Posts: 274
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:45 pm
Local Beach: South Oyster Bay (Long Island)
Favorite Beaches: Kalpitiya, Sri Lanka
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR4 7/9/12/15. Nobile NHP and Nobile split surf / foil board. Slingshot hover glide foil
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 16 times
Been thanked: 42 times

Re: Had Low Wind Breakthrough For Big Guys Like Me 100 kg

Postby bkkite » Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:59 pm

Kamikuza wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:49 pm
bkkite wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:42 pm
Yeah, overall that Infinity 99 wing is enormous, and combine with an 18m... that seems like a lot to get going that low. I mean I've flown a 15m Core XR with a Slingshot Infinity 76, and a Nobile infinity foil 5'2... and I can ride just over 10mph... I just switched to a Core Xlite 12m with that same setup, and I've been out in the 8mph to 10mph, and more recently I just switched the Slingshot Apollo 60... which requires a bit more to get going.

Guess I'm saying what everyone else says, which is its more fun with a smaller kite. And eventually as you get more efficient at water starting and riding, you can even sneak a smaller wing in there. I was nervous the 12m would be too small, but its move pretty fast and stays up in really light wind. I feel like its the sweet spot for me riding in the doldrums of summer light wind.
I've ridden a few times with my 12m Switchblade, but it's too slow for very light wind and just a tad more and it pulls like a truck.

Guess it depends on your spot -- so often we get light wind that actually picks up eventually after some time so the big kites are pointless, if you wait a little. Over on the coast though, there are days you really need ... something more.

I was super-impressed with the Flite 12m Aluula I had for a couple of sessions. Incredible low end grunt and it actually drifted ok too. I'd like to demo a bigger single strut kite too...
I rode my Core XR 12m on my foil before and it too pulled like a Mac truck and made it hard in anything but the lightest winds.

I never flown other single struts, but the xlite has been fun, it stays up in the lightest of winds, my XR 12m would constantly fall out of the sky lulls. The xlite turns faster too and drifts really well

User avatar
Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 6839
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:49 am
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other
Has thanked: 159 times
Been thanked: 155 times

Re: Had Low Wind Breakthrough For Big Guys Like Me 100 kg

Postby Kamikuza » Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:19 am

bkkite wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:59 pm
I rode my Core XR 12m on my foil before and it too pulled like a Mac truck and made it hard in anything but the lightest winds.

I never flown other single struts, but the xlite has been fun, it stays up in the lightest of winds, my XR 12m would constantly fall out of the sky lulls. The xlite turns faster too and drifts really well
Had a play with a Mono 13m (cos it was the only demo in the shop) ... wind started out ok but picked up so I didn't get to test it really for what I wanted it for. Didn't like the bar response and didn't drift as well as my Drifters...

bkkite
Frequent Poster
Posts: 274
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:45 pm
Local Beach: South Oyster Bay (Long Island)
Favorite Beaches: Kalpitiya, Sri Lanka
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR4 7/9/12/15. Nobile NHP and Nobile split surf / foil board. Slingshot hover glide foil
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 16 times
Been thanked: 42 times

Re: Had Low Wind Breakthrough For Big Guys Like Me 100 kg

Postby bkkite » Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:20 pm

Kamikuza wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:19 am
bkkite wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:59 pm
I rode my Core XR 12m on my foil before and it too pulled like a Mac truck and made it hard in anything but the lightest winds.

I never flown other single struts, but the xlite has been fun, it stays up in the lightest of winds, my XR 12m would constantly fall out of the sky lulls. The xlite turns faster too and drifts really well
Had a play with a Mono 13m (cos it was the only demo in the shop) ... wind started out ok but picked up so I didn't get to test it really for what I wanted it for. Didn't like the bar response and didn't drift as well as my Drifters...
Did you find the bar response slow?

The Core xlite feels a lot like a Nexus 2, but it doesn’t fall out of the sky on big lulls, which just makes you way more confident going out in light winds. It probably turns about the same as the nexus, maybe a touch faster, with a touch less input from the bar. The drift is really nice, I’ve built up so much instinct not going towards the kite quickly… with this kite riding down wind is a lot easier than the Core XRs I was riding before ( admittedly not good kites for foiling )

bigtone667
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 551
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:24 am
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Birdie Beach, Budgewoi Beach, Lakes Beach
Favorite Beaches: Umina Beach, Birdies Beach, Lake Munmorah, Canton, The Swamp, Le Morne
Style: surf, foiling, jumping, lawn mowing
Gear: Kites: BRM Cloud D's, Duotone Rebels
Wings: Cloud W1 2,3,4,5, Duotone 5.5/7m
Boards: Naish Monarch, Naish Hover 155/125, Fanatic Sky Wing 5'4"
Foils: AXIS 1300/1020 Foils
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 46 times
Been thanked: 46 times

Re: Had Low Wind Breakthrough For Big Guys Like Me 100 kg

Postby bigtone667 » Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:37 am

The power spike to get up onto the board/foil is pretty important. Even though I ride a ridiculously large foil (2000cm2) and Hover 155 (and enjoy it) ..... I really rely on having quite a large power zone for the kite and I achieve this primarily by having 32m race lines. Makes a huge difference to me getting started.


Return to “Hydrofoil”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests