Had Low Wind Breakthrough For Big Guys Like Me 100 kg

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
flaps1111
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 85
Local Beach: Safor Beaches and Costa Blanca, Valencia /Alicante
Style: Strapless hydrofoil
Gear: Groove Skate S w679, w633. Airush Ultra v2 ,4m,5m, 6m, 9m, 12m,14m. Flyfurfer Peak5 4m, BRM 13.4
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Had Low Wind Breakthrough For Big Guys Like Me 100 kg

Postby flaps1111 » Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:58 pm

MaximumAC wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:22 am
flaps1111 wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:23 pm
I'm selling my pulsion 15m if one is interested. Europe.
Is it the UL cloth?
Yes it is.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:10 pm

Kitedougiefresh wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:26 pm
I have tried several things to lower my minimum wind speed needed to foil. I use a 2300+ cm front wing.(Slingshot Infinity 99)and a Concept Air 18M Pulsion Kite. Both have helped, but the latest thing has made the most difference. I am now using a 7' Naish Sky Pirate surf board with a stick on foil mount. I am curious to what others will say, but to me the board is creating more resistance against the kite, which is huge on under 10 knot days. This allows me to get up on the board and then at this point if I am not able to foil instantly, I can send the kite again and build up enough speed to get to foil, which is not very much with the infinity wing. I can now just ride the surfboard in to shore if the wind drops too much. Also, I am using the 12 m Pulsion and wondering if I need the 18M anymore. It is to the point that even on days when the kite doesn't want to hang in the air without help, that I can send it hard and get up. I am not able to do with my Peak 13M. The Pulsion has a lot more lift. Anyone else made the same discovery?
As a "big" guy I don't use a bigger kite than a 6 or 7 with a foil...I have a 97cm board and a surf jet foil. I now use the medium size from naish but I also have a 1250cm2. A big board will definitely add drag in terms of getting up to speed and on foil. I mean if you are comfortable in the air, you really should not need much board at all. But the key is really to get a bigger foil. So you definitely do not need a huge kite unless you are going for speed and racing.

bigtone667
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Birdie Beach, Budgewoi Beach, Lakes Beach
Favorite Beaches: Umina Beach, Birdies Beach, Lake Munmorah, Canton, The Swamp, Le Morne
Style: surf, foiling, jumping, lawn mowing
Gear: Kites: BRM Cloud D's, Duotone Rebels, Peaks
Wings: Cloud W1 2,3,4,5, Duotone DLAB Unit 4.5/5.5/6.5
Boards: Bit of everything
Foils: AXIS and Triton Foils

Postby bigtone667 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:26 am

tautologies wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:10 pm
Kitedougiefresh wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:26 pm
I have tried several things to lower my minimum wind speed needed to foil. I use a 2300+ cm front wing.(Slingshot Infinity 99)and a Concept Air 18M Pulsion Kite. Both have helped, but the latest thing has made the most difference. I am now using a 7' Naish Sky Pirate surf board with a stick on foil mount. I am curious to what others will say, but to me the board is creating more resistance against the kite, which is huge on under 10 knot days. This allows me to get up on the board and then at this point if I am not able to foil instantly, I can send the kite again and build up enough speed to get to foil, which is not very much with the infinity wing. I can now just ride the surfboard in to shore if the wind drops too much. Also, I am using the 12 m Pulsion and wondering if I need the 18M anymore. It is to the point that even on days when the kite doesn't want to hang in the air without help, that I can send it hard and get up. I am not able to do with my Peak 13M. The Pulsion has a lot more lift. Anyone else made the same discovery?
As a "big" guy I don't use a bigger kite than a 6 or 7 with a foil...I have a 97cm board and a surf jet foil. I now use the medium size from naish but I also have a 1250cm2. A big board will definitely add drag in terms of getting up to speed and on foil. I mean if you are comfortable in the air, you really should not need much board at all. But the key is really to get a bigger foil. So you definitely do not need a huge kite unless you are going for speed and racing.
What sort of kite and what is the wind low end?

bkkite
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Oyster Bay
Favorite Beaches: Dakhla
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR5 15m , xlite 12m, Nexus 2 9m, XR5 7m

Core Fusion 139, Slingshot Celero 5’8, Slingshot Dwarfcraft 110cm with a Hover Glide Foil and Apollo 60 front wing

Postby bkkite » Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:40 pm

I think a bigger board with more surface area for planing, and more volume for floating might be more forgiving for the period of time before getting up on foil. The volume may make it a touch tricker for getting your feet on the board right before the water start. The bigger surface area may also get in the way once you are up on foil and riding, as it'll be more likely to hit the water when you turn.

At some point, you'll get increasingly efficient in your water starts, especially with that Infinity 99, and you'll be able to get buy with a smaller board and kite.

I'm about 100kg / 220lbs and I started on a Space skate 65 wing and a Core XR 15m on the lightest days. I then switched to an Infinity 76, which turned out to be way more stable, and I basically never used anything bigger than a Core XR 12m... More recently I moved to an Apollo 60 wing, and a 12m Core xlight single Strut, and I'm still able to get out in 10kn, sometimes a little less. I can still put the larger Infinity 76 wing back on for a super light wind day too.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:38 pm

bigtone667 wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:26 am

What sort of kite and what is the wind low end?
I use a 6 boxer and 7 slash. The key here is really that I also use a 1250cm2 jet surf foil also naish. Low wind, if I can fly the kite I can go. It takes a bit of negotiation with looping etc, but I would estimate that I go in 10mph...I do find it a bit hard to say a specific windspeed because it is so vaiable what the wind is doing higher up and how it turns corners and funnels in light wind...I do not go as fast as someone on a huge foil kite, but I ride small swell and mess around.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:39 pm

bkkite wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:40 pm
I think a bigger board with more surface area for planing, and more volume for floating might be more forgiving for the period of time before getting up on foil. The volume may make it a touch tricker for getting your feet on the board right before the water start. The bigger surface area may also get in the way once you are up on foil and riding, as it'll be more likely to hit the water when you turn.

At some point, you'll get increasingly efficient in your water starts, especially with that Infinity 99, and you'll be able to get buy with a smaller board and kite.

I'm about 100kg / 220lbs and I started on a Space skate 65 wing and a Core XR 15m on the lightest days. I then switched to an Infinity 76, which turned out to be way more stable, and I basically never used anything bigger than a Core XR 12m... More recently I moved to an Apollo 60 wing, and a 12m Core xlight single Strut, and I'm still able to get out in 10kn, sometimes a little less. I can still put the larger Infinity 76 wing back on for a super light wind day too.
Or avoid the need to planing on a board by having a bigger foil wing.

bkkite
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Oyster Bay
Favorite Beaches: Dakhla
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR5 15m , xlite 12m, Nexus 2 9m, XR5 7m

Core Fusion 139, Slingshot Celero 5’8, Slingshot Dwarfcraft 110cm with a Hover Glide Foil and Apollo 60 front wing

Postby bkkite » Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:26 pm

tautologies wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:39 pm
bkkite wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:40 pm

Or avoid the need to planing on a board by having a bigger foil wing.
He's on the Infinity 99, which is the biggest wing I've ever seen :) Not sure if there's many options bigger?

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:56 am

bkkite wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:26 pm
He's on the Infinity 99, which is the biggest wing I've ever seen :) Not sure if there's many options bigger?
Axis has several wider wings, but I think none have more surface area.

https://axisfoils.com/products/s-series ... front-wing

Kitedougiefresh
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 1996
Weight: 210
Local Beach: Lido, Siesta Key, Turtle, Venice
Sarasota Florida.
Style: Surf & Swell
Gear: Peak 4 6 m
Peak 4 8 m
Pulsion 18M
Sonic 2 11M
Sonic 2 21M
Soul V2 15M

Postby Kitedougiefresh » Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:55 pm

Kamikuza wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:56 am
bkkite wrote:

I think you are correct. The wing is not even meant for kiting. Designed for a windsurfer setup..

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:27 pm

Kamikuza wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:56 am
bkkite wrote:

I have a 2450 which is bigger in surface area, but I am not using it for kiting. I could not imagine using a bigger kite than a 4 with that much foil. 18 would be impossible to handle. My 1250 is as big as I would want to use a 6 with. I just got a 1050 to be able to go faster...at that size I go immediately to foil. Barely any board needed at all.

Return to “Hydrofoil”