Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Fastest Turning Single Strut Kite?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
IDAVIS
Medium Poster
Posts: 64
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:25 am
Local Beach: Santa Cristina
Aguieira
Sabon
(Galicia north from Spain)
Favorite Beaches: Taiba (BR)
Cunbuco (BR)
Aguieira (ESP)
Sabon (ESP)
Style: Freestyle / Foil
Gear: Airush Razor (freestyle)
Airush Ultra (foil)
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Galicia (Spain)
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 1 time
Contact:

Re: Fastest Turning Single Strut Kite?

Postby IDAVIS » Sat Aug 07, 2021 2:30 am

Hi I ride with airush ultra v1, v2, v3 and v4 and mono 2019

The v4 its more fast than others and change a lot of kite parts (more slim the leading edge and strut) and its more stable.

Sorry I don't know other single strut kites... 😅

User avatar
Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 10822
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2002 1:00 am
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Denmark
Has thanked: 400 times
Been thanked: 493 times

Re: Fastest Turning Single Strut Kite?

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:31 pm

IDAVIS wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 2:30 am
Hi I ride with airush ultra v1, v2, v3 and v4 and mono 2019

The v4 its more fast than others and change a lot of kite parts (more slim the leading edge and strut) and its more stable.

Sorry I don't know other single strut kites... 😅

So V4 flies faster because of the thinner LE (and probable less grunt then as it flies closer to the edge)

But what abort the turning speed?

English is stupid in this respect, as some use "fast" for flying faster, others for turning speed.

Same problem when discussing waveboards, where these two features are typically mutually exclusive.
The faster it rides the slower it turns, and vice versa :wink:
And "fast" is unfortunately used for both features, leading to confusion.

8) Peter

rnelias
Medium Poster
Posts: 181
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:07 pm
Local Beach: RJ, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: Arubinha, RJ
Cumbuco, CE
Barra da Tijuca, RJ
Praia da Bica, RJ
Style: freeride
Gear: F-One Bandit 12m, Duotone Rebe 9m, Dice 7m, Alpha 8m, Soul 12/15m, Crazy Fly Raptor LTD 2019, Mystic Majestic
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 67 times
Been thanked: 29 times

Re: Fastest Turning Single Strut Kite?

Postby rnelias » Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:45 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:31 pm
IDAVIS wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 2:30 am
Hi I ride with airush ultra v1, v2, v3 and v4 and mono 2019

The v4 its more fast than others and change a lot of kite parts (more slim the leading edge and strut) and its more stable.

Sorry I don't know other single strut kites... 😅

So V4 flies faster because of the thinner LE (and probable less grunt then as it flies closer to the edge)

But what abort the turning speed?

English is stupid in this respect, as some use "fast" for flying faster, others for turning speed.

Same problem when discussing waveboards, where these two features are typically mutually exclusive.
The faster it rides the slower it turns, and vice versa :wink:
And "fast" is unfortunately used for both features, leading to confusion.

8) Peter
thinner LE usually reduces drag making the kite fly faster and closer to the edge of the wind window, hovewer, usually kites with such features are slower when turning (see, for instance, racing foil kites). Moreover, kites that fly closer to the edge of the wind window, usually, are gruntier (see, for instance, 5-structs like XR, Rebel, Orbit, etc...)

In order to reach faster turning speed the kite must be "square" and more "closed" (less flat) (sorry but I'm not native in english and some things are hard to find the best word to describe :D )

ambleblurry
Rare Poster
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:11 am
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: Hong Kong: Shui Hau, Sai Kung, Pui O, Lung Kwu Tan.
Australia: Cotton tree, Happy Valley, and all along the Sunshine Coast.
Favorite Beaches: Sunshine Coast Australia - downwinders.
Mykonos, and Paros, Greece.
Porto Pollo, Sardinia
Style: Surfboard, Twintip Freeride, and Foil
Gear: 13M Duotone Evo and 9M Naish Pivot kites, 5'9" surfboard, Ocean Rodeo Mako twintip, and Axis Foil.
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 0

Re: Fastest Turning Single Strut Kite?

Postby ambleblurry » Sat Aug 14, 2021 2:46 am

sonny2727 wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:49 pm
Tsachi1 wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:36 pm
If you're looking for fast moving, why 1 strut ?
Go for no strut , seems like they are the most fast ..
i guess 1 strut iseasier to re-launch ..
With Mono ...From to the original Mono to the latest the design has changed..Old one had pointy wing tips and the newer ones have rounded ..this increase the turning speed and better for foiling but bit harder to relaunch and less boosty but who cares ...
i guess 1 strut is easier to re-launch ..
Yep, that's why...........

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 3146
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:12 pm
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; La Ventana; SPI; Hood River; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/91/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 70cm mast

Follow me on https://Instagram.com/grigorib7
.
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 294 times
Been thanked: 425 times

Re: Fastest Turning Single Strut Kite?

Postby grigorib » Sat Aug 14, 2021 4:06 pm

ambleblurry wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 2:46 am
sonny2727 wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:49 pm
Tsachi1 wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:36 pm
If you're looking for fast moving, why 1 strut ?
Go for no strut , seems like they are the most fast ..
i guess 1 strut iseasier to re-launch ..
With Mono ...From to the original Mono to the latest the design has changed..Old one had pointy wing tips and the newer ones have rounded ..this increase the turning speed and better for foiling but bit harder to relaunch and less boosty but who cares ...
i guess 1 strut is easier to re-launch ..
Yep, that's why...........
I was worried about zero strut not being able to relaunch. After a year riding UFOs I’m as happy as I can be - not once I struggled to relaunch zero strut.
There are 1.5 tricks
1. When trailing edge is deep in water - pull outer line until kite flips over and then relaunch as usual
0.5 trick - when drift launching walk towards the kite a bit if there’s water on the canopy and it’ll clear out in no time


Return to “Hydrofoil”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests