Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Board size for kitefoiling

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
windybrit
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 69
Local Beach: AAO
Favorite Beaches: Isle de la Madelaine, Isle Lameque........ anywhere I can get water time
Style: awkward
Gear: Slingsht UFO 5 & 8 m
Airush Ultra 12
Cabrinha Moto 7 & 9 , Best TS 6m
OR Jester, Dwarfcraft w Fusion 950 Foil
Brand Affiliation: None

Board size for kitefoiling

Postby windybrit » Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:49 pm

I learned to foil on a large low volume board but am upgrading my gear and am trying to work out what size to buy. Are there any guides on line or particular things to look for. I figure shorter (pocket) boards need more subtle rider inputs and will have less bouyancy for body dragging. I have lots more to learn so am not wanting something too small, for my 1.7m 68kg I’m thinking of 110-115cm…… I’ll be cruising and carving.
Any tips offered greatfully received, TIA.

Tony
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 80 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, NC
Style: Foil
Gear: Delta HA Foils 1280,1050,850,700
Airush Nitros and Duotone Slicks
Appletree Jazz
Bunch of other gear I need to sell

Re: Board size for kitefoiling

Postby Tony » Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:01 pm

I think you're on the right track. Nose scoop helps IMO.
I'm on a 118 and find it perfect for everything.
Here's a good thread on board size: Small pocket board - looking for recommendation/advice

windybrit
Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Isle de la Madelaine, Isle Lameque........ anywhere I can get water time
Airush Ultra 12

Postby windybrit » Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:17 pm

Tony wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:01 pm
I think you're on the right track. Nose scoop helps IMO.
I'm on a 118 and find it perfect for everything.
Here's a good thread on board size: Small pocket board - looking for recommendation/advice
Thanks, good infio. )I should have used the word “pocket” in my search ;) ………..) I like the rockered nose on my current board, I think it’s saved my life a few times when I have managed an unscheduled touchdown. It seems to me that boards are getting more short and compact .

Oldman_Dave
Frequent Poster
Gear: Foiling only.
Single Strut: Mono, Alpha, Airush coming
Foil: Nova 10m, Peak 4 - 3m to 6m
Triiton T1, Axis HPS700 & HPS930
CarbonCo Nang, Axis Tray94, Naish microchip

Postby Oldman_Dave » Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:25 am

You'll find that you very quickly adapt to a short board and wouldn't ever want to go back due to the lightness and chuckability. I'm an ordinary foiler and have 100cm, 94cm & 80cm. The Tray 94 is plenty big enough even for light wind, whereas 80cm gets a bit challenging. The only problem is that they are probably harder for learning foot switches.

Tony
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 80 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, NC
Style: Foil
Gear: Delta HA Foils 1280,1050,850,700
Airush Nitros and Duotone Slicks
Appletree Jazz
Bunch of other gear I need to sell

Postby Tony » Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:14 am

Oldman_Dave wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:25 am
You'll find that you very quickly adapt to a short board and wouldn't ever want to go back due to the lightness and chuckability. I'm an ordinary foiler and have 100cm, 94cm & 80cm. The Tray 94 is plenty big enough even for light wind, whereas 80cm gets a bit challenging. The only problem is that they are probably harder for learning foot switches.
While I don't have direct experience on super short boards I have to believe touchdowns on super short boards must be pretty rough (as in over the nose). I don't have foot switches yet, 50-75% on surface switches so I like the added length and forgiveness of a medium length board. If I was 100% on on-the-foil foot switches I understand the desire to go short for all but the lightest conditions. That said I find my 118 very maneuverable and am still to be convinced on the benefit of shorter than say a 110 if you want one board for everything. Maybe my opinion will change when air foot switches are mastered.

I think current skill level must be considered before going too short or think about keeping the longer board to use as an option if those skills are not quite there. I went through this same process and jumped from 130 to 118 Ketos which seems like a small jump but I'm happy with my decision. Maybe the 107 would have been ok but I did not have the option to demo. Maybe a demo would have changed my mind??

MathPeuz
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Weight: 85
Local Beach: Blimsanden - Ålesund - Norway
Style: Strapless foiling + snowkiting
Gear: Kites:
Gong Strutless 5/7/9/11
Gong Unik 3.3/4.4
Gong Freewave 7/9
Flysurfer Peak4 3
Flysurfer Peak5 4/6/8
PLKB Ibex ultralight 12

Board:
Crazyfly carbon Twintip
Custom carbon 3'4 (foil)
Custom strapless surf 4'11

Foil:
Gong carbon mast HM 92
Gong Fluid S
Brand Affiliation: Foilsport.no teamrider
Has thanked: 0

Postby MathPeuz » Sun Aug 15, 2021 10:15 am

Small boards are the way to go. My curent board is 3'4 (102cm) and about 7-8 liters and i'm very happy with it. Small boards can be intimidating but I think they are easier. If you are looking for carving/cruising you don't need a long and thick board. Small size and low volume boards are easier to manipulate in the water, and better feeling while foiling. Anything between 100cm and 120cm should not be a problem to get used to.

windybrit
Frequent Poster
Airush Ultra 12

Postby windybrit » Sun Aug 15, 2021 6:28 pm

Tony wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:14 am
Oldman_Dave wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:25 am
While I don't have direct experience on super short boards I have to believe touchdowns on super short boards must be pretty rough (as in over the nose). I don't have foot switches yet, 50-75% on surface switches so I like the added length and forgiveness of a medium length board. If I was 100% on on-the-foil foot switches I understand the desire to go short for all but the lightest conditions. That said I find my 118 very maneuverable and am still to be convinced on the benefit of shorter than say a 110 if you want one board for everything. Maybe my opinion will change when air foot switches are mastered.

I think current skill level must be considered before going too short or think about keeping the longer board to use as an option if those skills are not quite there. I went through this same process and jumped from 130 to 118 Ketos which seems like a small jump but I'm happy with my decision. Maybe the 107 would have been ok but I did not have the option to demo. Maybe a demo would have changed my mind??
I ended up with the Cabrinha Special Agent 125 ….. my foil (Gong Curve MT with 95cm mast and 37 stab) turned up this week so I’m all set.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Aug 15, 2021 6:55 pm

Good you got a board, and happy that you did not go supersmall pocket.

Because, as you can see on the answers here - NOONE can agree which size works the best, some are addicts on really short boards and can not ride anything else, others prefer more standard pocket boards for their versatility without loss (IMO, but others dont agree, I know)

Nice you got the Special agent 125, it is quite big and a good lightwind weapon too (in particular for your 68 kg).
I have a friend, but 90 kg, who is quite experienced on foils - he got the Special Agent 105 - and he can not use it, too small...

IMO boards needs to be so short that you can have scoop (nose rocker - nose pointed up heavily) in front of your front foot.
This gives the best compromise between really small and agile and not catching anything in waves - and still easy to "touch down" without consequences, and also better low end of course.

8) Peter

windybrit
Frequent Poster
Airush Ultra 12

Postby windybrit » Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:03 am

Peter_Frank wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 6:55 pm
Good you got a board, and happy that you did not go supersmall pocket.

Because, as you can see on the answers here - NOONE can agree which size works the best, some are addicts on really short boards and can not ride anything else, others prefer more standard pocket boards for their versatility without loss (IMO, but others dont agree, I know)

Nice you got the Special agent 125, it is quite big and a good lightwind weapon too (in particular for your 68 kg).
I have a friend, but 90 kg, who is quite experienced on foils - he got the Special Agent 105 - and he can not use it, too small...

IMO boards needs to be so short that you can have scoop (nose rocker - nose pointed up heavily) in front of your front foot.
This gives the best compromise between really small and agile and not catching anything in waves - and still easy to "touch down" without consequences, and also better low end of course.

8) Peter
I was seeking a single answer in a world which is a multiude of opinion. I was previously riding a 146, and had tried a 125 so I felt that would be a good size for my next progression. I am pretty stable and don’t often inadvertently touch down and the Cabrinha does have some curl at the tip so now it’s a matter of getting my practice in. :)

Return to “Hydrofoil”