Local Beach: Hood River/Caribbean
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Flysurfer/Mikes Lab
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: safest way to race train in winter

Postby tkaraszewski » Sun Aug 15, 2021 6:24 pm

MaximumAC wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 5:28 pm
I'm not suggesting traveling particularly far from my launch, but even a modest distance out to deeper water and better wind would result in a lengthy swim and wade in to land. My post was indeed meant to be about the practical aspects of warm suits that are conducive to race foiling but also would allow several hours worth of safety and warmth (not because I intend to swim for several hours, but to prepare for worst case scenario). I currently carry a Garmin inReach satellite two-way that has limited texting features and has an SOS button. I've discovered though that this doesn't do much for me if it's not life and death. I've seen pics of pros riding with Motorola two-way VHF radios and have wondered if this would be a good way to communicate with my family.

That yellow PLB is very interesting. Even smaller than my inReach I think.
What suit you wear depends on the air and water temperature in your location and I don’t think you’ve shared that. I used to surf for hours in a 4/3 wetsuit in 55F/10C water in California all winter.

MaximumAC
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Chesapeake Bay, Assateague MD
Style: Foil; Freestyle
Gear: North Rebel/Neo; Flysurfer Soul and Peak4; Slingshot and Moses foils

Postby MaximumAC » Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:51 am

tkaraszewski wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 6:24 pm
MaximumAC wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 5:28 pm
I'm not suggesting traveling particularly far from my launch, but even a modest distance out to deeper water and better wind would result in a lengthy swim and wade in to land. My post was indeed meant to be about the practical aspects of warm suits that are conducive to race foiling but also would allow several hours worth of safety and warmth (not because I intend to swim for several hours, but to prepare for worst case scenario). I currently carry a Garmin inReach satellite two-way that has limited texting features and has an SOS button. I've discovered though that this doesn't do much for me if it's not life and death. I've seen pics of pros riding with Motorola two-way VHF radios and have wondered if this would be a good way to communicate with my family.

That yellow PLB is very interesting. Even smaller than my inReach I think.
What suit you wear depends on the air and water temperature in your location and I don’t think you’ve shared that. I used to surf for hours in a 4/3 wetsuit in 55F/10C water in California all winter.

Chesapeake Bay in Maryland. Winter bay temps are 40-45 F and I kite year round. I'm comfortable in my 4/3 for 45-60 minutes when it's that cold; more comfortable in my drysuit which I don't think will be acceptable for high speed foiling. Just ordered a 6/4 Mystic.

Speedster
Rare Poster
Gear: Blade, Cabrinha, Ozone

Postby Speedster » Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:44 am

dice wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:42 pm
andreigapejev wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:36 pm
Soon there will be lots of Esim watch models. Seems ideal for calling help
Soon? They already exist.
Sadly not every country has a sim provider that supports esim. :(
There are also models with physical sim cards whichnis much simples and cheapernthan getting esim but (for some reason I don't understand) only old/crap ones and then often not waterproof...

If anyone knows of a waterproof watch with physical sim it would bem great for this

Return to “Hydrofoil”