Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Triton Foils releases the first accessible monowing: Triton T1

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Triton Foils releases the first accessible monowing: Triton T1

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Sep 04, 2021 4:23 pm

I assume this wing is either an S profile, or lots of washout.

Both will move the COE forward (so you don't have to stand really rear), and give a much more stable wing than if you just removed your stab.

8) Peter

TritonFoils
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2021
Weight: 0
Local Beach: Ontario, Canada
Style: Freestyle Foil & Foil Surf
Gear: T1 Monowing by Triton Foils
Brand Affiliation: Triton Foil - www.tritonfoils.com

Postby TritonFoils » Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:09 pm

Thanks for checking us out Peter.

You can catch an "explainer" video of Triton T1 monowing below that explains some of the design parameters.

Best regards,

Rudy @TritonFoils

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:04 pm

Rear corners are terrible but maybe help hydrodynamics - until you fall on them, snap them off in transport, or rip a kite or wing with them, and are out of the game.
The sharp angles on the front? How can they serve a purpose?

TritonFoils
Frequent Poster

Postby TritonFoils » Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:35 pm

Thanks for your comments BWD.

The production version of the wing has wing tips which are rounded off.

We will be releasing a video chat with our lead engineer (https://www.tritonfoils.com/goetz.html) and will have him talk about his rationale for the nose configuration of the wing along with the other key hydrodynamic features of the Triton T1 monowing. If you have any other questions or queries send them our way.

What I can tell you having ridden the production wing extensively now is that it has an incredible silky feel, amazing top and low end speed range and an ability to turn on a dime like no other foil currently on the market.

If you are so inclined you can watch our "explainer" video for the wing here:

Rudy @TritonFoils

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish, Flysurfer, Alpine, Moses

Postby cglazier » Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:17 am

Great to see your product. But I am concerned about your mounting system which you call compatible with masts like Sabfoil. As near as I can tell you just rely on two screws to attach your wing to the mast.. this is far from robust. The Sabfoil mast wedges tightly into the fuselage and the sides of the wedge take all the forces (left drawing).

Your videos seem to show this way (right drawing) to attach you wing to a Sabfoil mast?? I would want something stronger.
:o
CG
Attachments
triton.jpg
triton.jpg (35.61 KiB) Viewed 3039 times

br44
Frequent Poster
Gear: LEIs, foils

Postby br44 » Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:33 pm

cglazier wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:17 am
Great to see your product. But I am concerned about your mounting system which you call compatible with masts like Sabfoil. As near as I can tell you just rely on two screws to attach your wing to the mast.. this is far from robust. The Sabfoil mast wedges tightly into the fuselage and the sides of the wedge take all the forces (left drawing).

Your videos seem to show this way (right drawing) to attach you wing to a Sabfoil mast?? I would want something stronger.
CG
This is not a direct answer, but that kind of stuff is discussed on this page. Also the loads are highest by the board mount, not by the fuselage.
https://projectcedrus.com/general/new-w ... ard-mount/

The joint of Project Cedrus relies on tension in the screws only, which is nice for a couple reasons. The first benefit to a metallic joint is a more benign (ductile) failure mode. Bending screws is a bummer, but at least the foil was not lost as typical with carbon foil failures, and with new screws my customers were back in business. To yield my standard 18-8 stainless steel flathead screw requires 5,000 pounds of tensile load. Considering there are two of them holding the mast to the mount, that means in takes 10,000 pounds of force to damage the standard lightweight plate mount screws of Project Cedrus.
These users thanked the author br44 for the post:
TritonFoils (Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:54 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

TritonFoils
Frequent Poster

Postby TritonFoils » Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:53 pm

cglazier wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:17 am

CG
Thanks for the feedback!

Three quick comments early on a Sunday before I squeeze in an AM session on the Triton T1 monowing here on Canada's Great Lakes. :)

1. We designed the T1 to accommodate as many masts as possible to make the wing accessible to the greatest number of riders possible. This design objective led us to create the flat pedestal on the top of the T1 that connects to most flat mast foots. This is a mode of connection that the likes of Slingshot with their Hoverglide, Zeeko and many other brands have proven out as a strong, durable and simple mast to fuse connection.

2. The T1 has a solid block of resin at the wing to mast mount to allow the rider to connect the mast tightly without risk of compressing the internal foam core (again because there isn't one in and around the site of the mast to wing pedestal on the T1 - the epoxy foam is in the wings radiating out from the resin block).

3. It would be amazing to have customized, internal, mast foot to T1 wing connections but this involves a lot of complexity in production as you are creating either multiple wing molds or complex, small batch adapters to facilitate male to female fits for each different foil brand. We really admire the work that Kyle has done at Cedrus in terms of custom mast foots for his amazing mast that allow it to connect with a variety of fuses - 10+ and counting. This is something we definitely want to explore.

Below are some close up photos of the mast to wing connection for your perusal.

Again, appreciate your feedback.

Rudy @TritonFoils
Attachments
Capturezeeko.JPG
CaptureRave.PNG
CaptureSS.PNG

BayAreaKite
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Fay Bainbridge
Favorite Beaches: Squamish, Crissy, Waddell
Style: All types!
Gear: Ozone kites, Project Cedrus foil
Brand Affiliation: Owner of Adherend Innovations / Project Cedrus

Postby BayAreaKite » Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:32 pm

Just chiming in here since sections of my technical blog are quoted above. Please note that that the thickness of the mast, the flatness of the mating surfaces, and the stiffness of the materials all directly impact how much load is carried by the screws. Thin masts will dramatically increase tension levels in the screws. If the surfaces are not perfectly flat, you will have bending stress in the screws which is far more damaging than pure tensile stress. Finally soft resins will allow deflection at the interface further increasing bending stress. Project Cedrus is thicker than the Slingshot masts (19mm) and relies on machined aluminum surfaces for all connections. The cast resin ends of tuttle-style connections (Rave mast above?) will require very strong and stiff screws.
These users thanked the author BayAreaKite for the post:
TritonFoils (Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:09 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

TritonFoils
Frequent Poster

Postby TritonFoils » Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:09 pm

We got some water time this past holiday long weekend in Canada to try Triton Foils T1 monowing in a variety of conditions.

For those of you asking about the upper band for speed on this week we have comfortably been seeing 19-20 kits on our go pros.

Along with some epic wipeouts.... :)

You can catch some video here:

And a big thanks to some of our T1 monowing pioneers Geronimo, Bogdan and Anton who all have T1 monowings shipping to them this week.

You guys are awesome!

Thanks one and all for your interest and support for the innovation we want to encourage around foiling monowings.

Rudy @TritonFoils

anotheroldguy
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Georgian Bay
Favorite Beaches: Peniche
Hatteras
Lake Erie
Sauble
Style: strapless
Gear: Foil: Triton
Brand Affiliation: Triton Foils