sflinux
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: Joe Blair, L41, Meyerhoffer, Rusty, Tom Wegener, & Cloud IX
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Triton Foils releases the first accessible monowing: Triton T1

Postby sflinux » Thu Aug 25, 2022 6:52 am

Any plans for other versions? (i.e prone surf foiling, sup foiling, wing foiling, windsurf foiling, efoil, etc?)

Sbrinckman
Medium Poster
Local Beach: IJmuiden
Marina muiderzand
Favorite Beaches: Taiba
Cabarete
Mauritius
Sal
Style: wave and foil
Gear: Aluula Roam and Crave
Peak 5
Maverick kite
Arribarriba wave board
DSD Stallion wave board
Sabfoil T22, T38, 633 wing, 899, 1100 wing
F-one 100L, 85L wing board, 1240 phantom foil
Triton T1 monowing
AK durable 65L wingboard

Postby Sbrinckman » Thu Aug 25, 2022 11:52 am

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Fri Aug 26, 2022 3:41 am

5th session on the T1 today. Perfect conditions: 15 - 17 knots with decent swell, powered up with a 5m Peak4. Feels very stable underfoot now - no different than my regular foil. Foiled for a couple of hours carving multiple linked turns without falling once - this would be unusual on my regular foil, so in a way the T1 seems more forgiving (once you are balanced on it) than a regular foil. Big exception remains foot switches which I am still struggling with. I would say I was getting about 40% on them, which is really not satisfactory. It's weirdly challenging, even though I am riding the same board (3'6" Dwarfcraft). It's the one situation where the lack of a fuse and stabilizer seems to be a problem ... have to keep working on it. :-?

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Fri Aug 26, 2022 9:37 am

Flyboy wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 3:41 am
5th session on the T1 today. Perfect conditions: 15 - 17 knots with decent swell, powered up with a 5m Peak4. Feels very stable underfoot now - no different than my regular foil. Foiled for a couple of hours carving multiple linked turns without falling once - this would be unusual on my regular foil, so in a way the T1 seems more forgiving (once you are balanced on it) than a regular foil. Big exception remains foot switches which I am still struggling with. I would say I was getting about 40% on them, which is really not satisfactory. It's weirdly challenging, even though I am riding the same board (3'6" Dwarfcraft). It's the one situation where the lack of a fuse and stabilizer seems to be a problem ... have to keep working on it. :-?

Oyvind mentions pushing down the back foot before switching feet at 3 minutes into this.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Fri Aug 26, 2022 4:34 pm

I reckon I just need some of what Oyvind is on. :wink:

Yes, I learned to foot switch by pressing down on the front foot and bringing the back foot forward while the front of the board is rising back up. This doesn't seem to work with the T1. Moving the feet very quickly with minimal change to the trim of the board seems to be necessary. This is what I am working on. Oyvind, who is super skilled, accomplishes this very easily ... on a board so tiny that there's no real room to actually "move" his feet.
Last edited by Flyboy on Fri Aug 26, 2022 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Fri Aug 26, 2022 4:45 pm

Flyboy wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 4:34 pm
I reckon I just need some of Oyvind is on. :wink:

Yes, I learned to foot switch by pressing down on the front foot and bringing the back foot forward while the front of the board is rising back up. This doesn't seem to work with the T1. Moving the feet very quickly with minimal change to the trim of the board seems to be necessary. This is what I am working on. Oyvind, who is super skilled, accomplishes this very easily ... on a board so tiny that there's no real room to actually "move" his feet.
Oyvind also seems to have to make a fast recovery at times after switching feet, and uses the manoeuvrability of the foil to do that. Might be worth foilers practising getting in and out of recovery positions on the T1 without switching feet, so that they are ready to react after switching feet?

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Fri Aug 26, 2022 5:52 pm

ronnie wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 4:45 pm
Flyboy wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 4:34 pm
I reckon I just need some of Oyvind is on. :wink:

Oyvind also seems to have to make a fast recovery at times after switching feet, and uses the manoeuvrability of the foil to do that. Might be worth foilers practising getting in and out of recovery positions on the T1 without switching feet, so that they are ready to react after switching feet?
Not sure what you mean by this? There's no recovery possible - when you screw up the foot switch , the fall is instant! On my regular foil I am able to balance my weight so that even with a less than optimal foot switch I'm able to balance the foil & ride out of it.

I think the bottom line with the T1 is that it IS more sensitive than a regular foil ... but not as much as you might think. It doesn't take long to adjust to the extra sensitivity in riding and gybing, but as I don't normally foot switch that frequently as I gybe, so my foot switching skills aren't at a comparably high level - still have to concentrate when I'm doing it, pick my spot etc. The mono wing requires more precision in weighting than on a regular foil and that's what I've got to work on. Got to be prepared to fall numerous times in order to get it sorted out.

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: Indiana, Sailmon
Brand Affiliation: Indiana, Sailmon

Postby gmb13 » Fri Aug 26, 2022 6:25 pm

Hi Guys,

Tomorrow I will be doing the live techtalk/Chat about the T1 and Monofoiling in general. If you have any specific questions, please write me a PM here and/or join the stream at 20.00 GMT

See you there.

--
Gunnar
These users thanked the author gmb13 for the post:
Peter_Frank (Fri Aug 26, 2022 10:13 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

TritonFoils
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2021
Weight: 0
Local Beach: Ontario, Canada
Style: Freestyle Foil & Foil Surf
Gear: T1 Monowing by Triton Foils
Brand Affiliation: Triton Foil - www.tritonfoils.com

Postby TritonFoils » Sat Aug 27, 2022 3:26 pm

unnamed (3).jpg
Gunnar Biniasch's LIVE Triton Monofoil TechTalk

Saturday, August 27 @ 3:00 PM ET / 7:00 PM UTC

Hey KiteForum Members:

Gunnar Biniasch is a pro foiler and an amazing ambassador for the sport. He brings years of expertise and an unbiased, no holds barred approach to his popular "TechTalks" reviewing new hydrofoiling gear.

We are pumped that Gunnar has selected Triton's T1 monofoil as the subject for his upcoming LIVE TechTalk schedule for today at 3 PM ET / 7 PM UTC.

You can catch Gunnar's live stream here:

Send your questions to Gunnar at gunnar.biniasch@gmail.com.

Triton Foils does not have a commercial relationship with Gunner other than providing him with a foil set to test in beautiful Fuerteventura.

While we have you, check out this amazing "first impressions" video ride by Laurie at Our Kite Life:

112,000 video views and counting!

There is still time to get your hands on a T1 to ride into the autumn on this amazingly versatile foil.

Do this now at https://www.tritonfoils.com/buy.html.

Rudy @TritonFoils

Chris & Rudy, Co-Founders
Triton Foils
www.tritonfoils.com

TritonFoils
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2021
Weight: 0
Local Beach: Ontario, Canada
Style: Freestyle Foil & Foil Surf
Gear: T1 Monowing by Triton Foils
Brand Affiliation: Triton Foil - www.tritonfoils.com

Postby TritonFoils » Sat Aug 27, 2022 7:59 pm

Gunnar Biniasch's Triton Monofoil TechTalk IS NOW LIVE!

Saturday, August 27 @ 3:00 PM ET / 7:00 PM UTC

Hey KiteForum Members:

Gunnar Biniasch is a pro foiler and an amazing ambassador for the sport. He brings years of expertise and an unbiased, no holds barred approach to his popular "TechTalks" reviewing new hydrofoiling gear.

We are pumped that Gunnar has selected Triton's T1 monofoil as the subject for his upcoming LIVE TechTalk schedule for today at 3 PM ET / 7 PM UTC.

You can catch Gunnar's live stream here:

Send your questions to Gunnar at gunnar.biniasch@gmail.com.

Rudy @TritonFoils

Return to “Hydrofoil”