A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
kiteman_hellyeah
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Weight: 180
Local Beach: Pere Marquette beach, City Beach Grand Haven
Favorite Beaches: Kite point OBX, Holland state park MI, PM Muskegon,
Style: all day IPA (lawnmower), freeride
Gear: CRX hydrofoil, Clearwater 1500/standard front wing, Airush switch 138cm, Neil pryde CRX 10m, gong SFS 17m, LF NV 13.5m, Pansh Genesis 8m 2021.
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Triton Foils releases the first accessible monowing: Triton T1

Postby kiteman_hellyeah » Thu Apr 13, 2023 12:01 am

Hey, I was just listening to Flatbeat by Mr. Oizo yesterday, what odds!
These users thanked the author kiteman_hellyeah for the post:
Oldman_Dave (Fri Apr 14, 2023 1:23 am)
Rating: 3.03%

wallydog
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Barbwire beach
Favorite Beaches: Los Barriles and Gorge
Style: foil
Gear: Armstrong 1050. Slingshot SST and Airush ultras.

Postby wallydog » Tue May 02, 2023 6:55 pm

I had the opportunity to demo the Triton this winter in baja. I was lucky to have Rudy drop his demo Triton off with me in Los Barilles on his way home from his La Ventana winter wind vacation to try. Kudos to Rudy for making this happen. Very nice person.
Back to the demo. This is a really fun foil. It rides different from a normal foil with stab but is surprisingly normal to get up on foil. Your brain kinda goes through this questioning process as you get ready to throw the kite into your first launch by being very doubtful this is going to work. But...Amazingly it lifts easily and rides quite "normal". Put your rear foot right in front of the mast and you are up and going. Again the biggest thing to overcome is your brain saying "no way" and letting your muscle memory take over and ride it like like you are used to. Then the big grin starts forming. This is a turning machine. Surfy and slippery in the turns. Amazingly stable in banking a turn. Fun. I will say it is surprisingly pitch stable in a straight line though I did have difficulty foot switching. I must admit I am not 100% on my normal foil but the Triton was far less. I would not say it is fast but I love to turn, turn and turn again so speed is not my thing anyway. This is a foil that I would like to own. I am not sure it would replace my Armstrong 1050 but it would be a great addition. Best word to describe it is slippery. When I got back on my regular foil I actually stopped to check if there was something I picked up in the water that was slowing my foil down. Thank you Triton (Rudy) for bringing this great addition to foil fun.
These users thanked the author wallydog for the post (total 2):
bigtone667 (Tue May 02, 2023 10:24 pm) • Nak (Wed May 03, 2023 1:44 am)
Rating: 6.06%

IWantToFly
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Weight: 77kg
Local Beach: Jones Beach, Sauvie Island, Floras Lake, the Gorge, OR coast, La Ventana
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana, the Gorge
Style: I wish
Gear: Groove Skate Pro 110cm
Kanaha Shapes 42” (106cm)
Triton T1 Monowing
Lift Classic 170
Litewave Wing 155, Kick-S 139
OR Mako 140
Duotone Whip 5’0”
Naish Pivot 6, 8, 10
Flysufer Soul 6m, 12m
Flysurfer Peak5 5m, Peak4 8m
Cloud 2.8, 3.7, 4.8, 6.2, 8
Pansh 7/11

Postby IWantToFly » Wed May 03, 2023 10:14 am

wallydog wrote:
Tue May 02, 2023 6:55 pm
Best word to describe it is slippery. When I got back on my regular foil I actually stopped to check if there was something I picked up in the water that was slowing my foil down.
I did the same thing during my demo. Someone on here mentioned something about too much drag and I was shocked. It’s the slipperiest thing I’ve felt!

Back up in the 50° water of the Columbia I’ve used my fatty Lift 170 for the extra stability a couple times but I’m missing the playfulness of the T1.

anotheroldguy
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Georgian Bay
Favorite Beaches: Peniche
Hatteras
Lake Erie
Sauble
Style: strapless
Gear: Foil: Triton
Brand Affiliation: Triton Foils

Postby anotheroldguy » Sat May 13, 2023 3:59 pm

Nice slide action on the T1 :)

Nak
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Weight: 182
Local Beach: Stevenson, WA; Rooster Rock, OR; Sauvie Island, OR; Kailua HI sort of...; Baja, MX; Ackerman Island, OR (I'm the only local kiter here...)
Favorite Beaches: Stevenson, WA; Kailua, HI; Baja; Isla de Coche; Rhodes, GR.
Style: Foil
Gear: Lift, Slingshot, Naish, Kanaha Shapes, Moses
Brand Affiliation: Lift

Postby Nak » Thu Jun 01, 2023 3:19 am

I finally got a chance to test ride the T1! here's my impressions, prefaced by a few caveats.

Caveats:
1. I compared this back to back with a Phantasm 684 and a prototype stabilizer with a 710 fuse.
2. This wing is VERY different. I rode it for a bit over two hours over two sessions. A full and honest review would require at least a few more hours riding time to develop muscle memory to match the wing. Some of the negatives I list might easily be negated by more experience with the wing.
3. This was MY experience, and others may well have different impressions.

I tested the T1 with a Hopecraft 103 board, a Sabfoil 101 mast--pre Kraken--and a Stringfellow adapter. First off, IMHO, the Stringfellow adapter is rock solid and provides at least as strong a connection as a butt joint mast with M8 screws. The wide connection to the wing and the pocket for the mast ensure that far less bending stress will be applied to the M6 screws compared to a butt joint. The resultant force on the screws should be almost entirely tension, and an M6 screw under tension is stronger than a M8 screw under bending force.

I rode the T1 with both a 4m and a 5m UFO, both in wildly overpowered gusts and wildly under powered lulls.

The very first thing I noticed was how light the foil was once assembled! OMG! Since the weight savings is at the end of a meter long moment arm, carrying the board under your arm is ridiculously easy.

Water starting was not near as hard as what I was expecting, but neither was it easy. It took me a couple of tries to water start each and every start. I talked to one experienced and highly skilled foiler who has a lot of time on the T1, and he confirmed that it was harder for him to water start in difficult conditions as well. Foot position and balance is more critical with the T1 than a standard wing/stab setup. This makes sense, as the distance between the center of lift and the "stabilizer" is shorter on the T1.

Once up, my first couple of reaches were one long PIO. How I hung on and didn't crash is beyond me, but I did. After a mile or two I settled down, but still found the T1 extremely pitch sensitive. I think that with enough time on the T1 you'd get used to the pitch sensitivity. the first 45 minutes I rode, my legs were absolutely burning from the constant pitch corrections. After that I got more used to it and the next 45 minutes were much better on my legs. Still, if you try the T1, don't do a leg workout earlier that day, or even the day before. You'll want all the endurance your legs have initially. At this point in the ride I was not impressed with the T1. Then I started doing some turns.

Wow. Just wow. This wing turns like a dream. It carves so easily and so smoothly. Slow it down and roll into a turn and you can almost literally turn on a dime. Turn initiation is effortless, as is transitioning rapidly to the opposite edge.

Although I didn't find the T1 less draggy than my conventional setup under normal conditions, it did have less drag at very low speeds. This was obviously because the wing was able to maintain a near horizontal position at low speed instead of needing to really increasing the AOA at low speeds. In turns where a massive lull made it so I couldn't even turn the kite, the wing turned nicely and just kept going until I could get the kite around. Then, it really didn't take much to get going again. Very nice.

Foot placement was far more critical than I'm used to, I had to be very conscious of getting my feet in the right place so that I could ride comfortably. In over powered gusts, I had a hard time edging hard upwind to control kite power. The nose of the board wanted to point down wind if I didn't really work it hard. Because of this, I simply could not carry the same power as with a conventional setup.

The board stayed on it's side obviously while floating. I was initially concerned that this could make it difficult to body drag to--possibly very difficult. I've ridden some large, floaty wings that made it near impossible to body drag to a medium to low volume board. (15L or less.) I needn't have worried. While not as easy as a wing that sinks, the board never turned into the wind while floating. Body dragging to it was reasonably easy.

Who is this board for?
1. A bigger guy who wants a lot of lift but wants a wing that turns like a small wing.
2. It would be hard to beat this wing in light winds.
3. Someone who loves to carve short radius turns and fast edge to edge turns.
4. Someone with the skills and patience to learn how to get the most out of this wing.
5. NOT a beginner.

I do believe that a lot of folks who try this wing will absolutely love it. I also think that many may prefer the stability of a conventional foil setup. My 710 fused 684 with the prototype stab carved as nicely as the T1, and was almost as easy--but not quite--to initiate the turn. (I'll be trying it with a shorter fuse in the near future.) It could not carve as tight a turn because it could not go as slow as the T1. OTH, I could hold down over powered conditions quite a bit easier.

Which do I prefer? Right now I prefer my conventional setup in Gorge conditions, but in under powered conditions I'd probably grab the T1. Once I have a lot more experience on the T1 and the new stab on a shorter fuse, my preferences could change. I'll probably add a T1 to my quiver in the near future, but I won't be giving up my conventional setup either. If I absolutely had to choose one or the other, right now, with what experience I have, I'd choose a conventional setup. Fortunately, I don't have to make that choice. I can't tell you what wing will go to Baja with me next winter yet.

TLDR: It's not cut and dry. Test a T1 for yourself to see if YOU like it. I would recommend test riding the T1, I would not recommend buying one without testing it for an hour or two first. If you want to run a Moses/Sabfoil mast, absolutely get the Stringfellow adapter.
These users thanked the author Nak for the post (total 3):
bigtone667 (Thu Jun 01, 2023 5:53 am) • lifeinthehood (Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:11 am) • PugetSoundKiter (Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:13 pm)
Rating: 9.09%

Oldman_Dave
Frequent Poster
Gear: Foiling only.
Single Strut: Mono, Alpha, Airush coming
Foil: Nova 10m, Peak 4 - 3m to 6m
Triiton T1, Axis HPS700 & HPS930
CarbonCo Nang, Axis Tray94, Naish microchip

Postby Oldman_Dave » Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:48 pm

Good first ride review Nak, nice long post to read with my morning coffee.

I reckon I had a similar overall impression after my first session. "Hmm this is interesting, definitely want to ride more to see how I like it, probably not my only wing going forward" etc. Then I gave it another try, and one more. And by the time I went back to my existing gear it felt boring in comparison and is now slowly corroding on the garage wall.

geokite
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Silver Strand, Mission Bay
Favorite Beaches: Sherman, Belmont
Style: Surf, Foil
Gear: Avoid the Triton foil board, made by Newind!

B: [Firewire SP, Kanaha MM, Triton] F: [Lift, Triton, Axis] K: [Kitech, Gin]

Postby geokite » Fri Jun 02, 2023 3:48 pm

I've been out on the T1 for two sessions now; probably a stupid question, but are people doing foot switches on the T1? I tried a couple times and instantly crashed. I'm about 99% with a stabbed foil, but I felt like there was no chance with this.

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish, Flysurfer, Alpine, Moses

Postby cglazier » Fri Jun 02, 2023 4:02 pm

Foiling foot switches are a bit more difficult with the T1 because it is less pitch stable. But you will master it and it forces you to improve your technique. :wink:

TritonFoils
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2021
Weight: 0
Local Beach: Ontario, Canada
Style: Freestyle Foil & Foil Surf
Gear: T1 Monowing by Triton Foils
Brand Affiliation: Triton Foil - www.tritonfoils.com

Postby TritonFoils » Sat Jun 03, 2023 12:43 pm

geokite wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 3:48 pm
I've been out on the T1 for two sessions now; probably a stupid question, but are people doing foot switches on the T1? I tried a couple times and instantly crashed. I'm about 99% with a stabbed foil, but I felt like there was no chance with this.
Yes foot switches are accessible on the T1 with a little patience. As per Nak’s comments about riding stance you want you feet slightly less than shoulder width apart. Your back foot must be over the leading edge of the mast for max stability and lift. Think of the lift area on the board of a T1 equipped foil as a big pie plate with its outer circumference bisecting the mast to board connection. I find riding the foil deeper in the water helpful when you initiate the foot switch. Also push down a bit on the back foot before doing your switch. This will give you and the board an upward push to receive your weight as you do your two-step switch. I am getting 💯 of switches but also ride the T1 exclusively. Eg practice makes perfect and enjoy the challenge. The T1 rewards persistence and is perfect for the rider who likes a challenge. If you simply want a click and point style ride and foil then T1 isn’t for you.

Enjoy!

Rudy, Co-Founder, Triton Foils
www.tritonfoils.com

melaquekite
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Melaque, MX
Barra de Navidad, MX
Favorite Beaches: Ilha du Guajiru, Brazil
Style: Everything, course, jumps, cruising
Gear: Naish

Postby melaquekite » Sun Jun 04, 2023 12:03 am

geokite wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 3:48 pm
I took mine to Mexico as my primary setup and it wasn't till late in the game when I realized the placement in the mast track is more critical than a fuse'd setup IMO. With things too far back it becomes even more pitch crazy and required a thigh workout, as well as making foot switches near impossible. I've moved it all forward to now there's a good FF-BF balance. Maybe, I'll nail some footswitches soon, as I freely admit my switches have more of a "shuffle" than the preferred two-step.
These users thanked the author melaquekite for the post:
Nak (Sun Jun 04, 2023 1:55 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Hydrofoil”