Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Triton Foils releases the first accessible monowing: Triton T1

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
User avatar
TritonFoils
Frequent Poster
Posts: 213
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2021 12:56 pm
Kiting since: 2021
Weight: 0
Local Beach: Ontario, Canada
Style: Freestyle Foil & Foil Surf
Gear: T1 Monowing by Triton Foils
Brand Affiliation: Triton Foil - www.tritonfoils.com
Has thanked: 60 times
Been thanked: 50 times

Re: Triton Foils releases the first accessible monowing: Triton T1

Postby TritonFoils » Mon Jun 19, 2023 12:50 pm

Second extended session on the larger v2 sister wing to the T1, the X1. This time higher wind test. 12-13kts gusting into high teens. 6m Soul. Rider 75kg. 87cm board. 80cm wing span. :). 1880cm2 foil with no stabilizer so rides like a 633. My early review of the comparisons of X1 to the T1 hold re higher wind vs ultra light. What I did notice is the X1 handled the additional power really well. I didn’t feel overpowered by the larger foil as I had expected. In short, the X1 and say the 6m Soul could handle as low as 10kts wind speeds up to 20kts very comfortably with no sense of being over kited or over foiled. To this extent for travel it could be an interesting one foil one kite and one hand wing option to take you from light wing kiting up to continuing to kite long past when you could switch to say a 5m and wing or around 15kts. You could opt for a smaller hand wind and cross over at high teens from kite to winging and ride the X1 up to the mid 20s kts. In short, for an advanced winger who likes to kite in light wind when winging isn’t as fun and wants a super compact travel option this could be the go to set up. Say pack a 35-40l wing board that would be ideal for high winds winging and equally ideal for kiting in low winds and conceivably you could have super efficient travel combo of the X1 (no fuse or stab), one kite, one hand wing and one sub 50l wing board to enjoy both disciplines in winds ranging from 10kts to 25kts. :)

Write up in the current edition of Foiling Mag.

https://www.thefoilingmagazine.com/foil ... riton-x-1/

Rudy @TritonFoils
These users thanked the author TritonFoils for the post:
bigtone667 (Tue Jun 20, 2023 1:36 am)
Rating: 3.03%

IWantToFly
Frequent Poster
Posts: 368
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:43 pm
Kiting since: 2019
Weight: 77kg
Local Beach: Jones Beach, Sauvie Island, Floras Lake, the Gorge, OR coast, La Ventana
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana, the Gorge
Style: I wish
Gear: Groove Skate Pro 110cm
Kanaha Shapes 42” (106cm)
Triton T1 Monowing
Lift Classic 170
Litewave Wing 155, Kick-S 139
OR Mako 140
Duotone Whip 5’0”
Naish Pivot 6, 8, 10
Flysufer Soul 6m, 12m
Flysurfer Peak5 5m, Peak4 8m
Cloud 2.8, 3.7, 4.8, 6.2, 8
Pansh 7/11
Has thanked: 72 times
Been thanked: 115 times

Re: Triton Foils releases the first accessible monowing: Triton T1

Postby IWantToFly » Fri Jul 14, 2023 1:58 am

Random thoughts as I’ve put more time on my T1.

I got my T1 last fall and didn’t have much chance to use it until a few days in Baja where I used it with the Triton mast and my Project Cedrus mast. Now I’ve been back in Oregon and using it in the Gorge swell. I’d call myself aggressively intermediate as I’m usually trying to really carve hard and play in swell. I’ll typically take the smallest kite I can waterstart, ride upwind, and surf downwind. I’ve never been a surfer but I try sharp bottom turns and really try to cut back in the waves. I cannot do foot switches and I’m not even trying on the T1 - I have a Lift 170 for that practice. I ride the T1 on a 106cm Kanaha Shapes board with a Project Cedrus 90+2cm mast.

Last Monday I was on my2.8m Cloud in high-20’s gusting to high 30’s. I rode from HR upwind from the hatchery and was the only kiter out there with three wingers. Chest-high to occasionally head-high swell that was steep and tight. The water was warm, my music was rocking, and it was glorious. Probably the best kiting day I’ve ever had.

The T1 is mostly great and amazing. It carves like a dream and you can cut back, slice, and pivot on a dime. I had some rides where I was heading down a steep wave and simultaneously caught a gust and the foil handled the speed great…except that I was very aware any little toe spasm or loss of balance would instantly send me flying. I had some carves where the foil was just locked in and kept going even as my body did not! The large surface area of the T1 reacts to and transmits a lot of the currents/eddies/bubbles in the water. It is mostly fine because the thing can literally slide on the surface without crashing, but it makes for a very sensitive ride in those conditions. I’m really curious if this is just my skill level or an inherent characteristic of a chonky monowing. I’ve never ridden another foil in those same conditions so I can’t directly compare. For some reason the nose-up posture of the T1 helps me jibe on my weak side so it was fun practicing that in even those conditions and I even tried a tiny bit of weak side swell riding.

Interestingly, despite being a side floater the swell easily brought the board back to me downwind and I didn’t have to do much body dragging. It is worse in light wind with no waves as it will definitely go sideways (but I’ve not had it go upwind) the way it floats. The monowing is a small but noticeable advantage in ease with maneuvering on land and in the car. It is also better with those epic crashes when the foil ends up in your lines as it is much easier to sort out than having a front wing and stab.

The T1 is plenty stable to just cruise around in light wind and I do that often, but if all I wanted to do was mow the lawn I’d probably use a more stable foil. And when I go to practice skills like foot switches I’m definitely taking my larger foil!

Anyway, for me the T1 continues to be awesome fun in the conditions I like to ride.

taiguy
Medium Poster
Posts: 136
Joined: Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:13 am
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 20 times
Been thanked: 37 times

Re: Triton Foils releases the first accessible monowing: Triton T1

Postby taiguy » Sat Jul 15, 2023 2:54 am

IWantToFly wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 1:58 am
Random thoughts as I’ve put more time on my T1.

I got my T1 last fall and didn’t have much chance to use it until a few days in Baja where I used it with the Triton mast and my Project Cedrus mast. Now I’ve been back in Oregon and using it in the Gorge swell. I’d call myself aggressively intermediate as I’m usually trying to really carve hard and play in swell. I’ll typically take the smallest kite I can waterstart, ride upwind, and surf downwind. I’ve never been a surfer but I try sharp bottom turns and really try to cut back in the waves. I cannot do foot switches and I’m not even trying on the T1 - I have a Lift 170 for that practice. I ride the T1 on a 106cm Kanaha Shapes board with a Project Cedrus 90+2cm mast.

Last Monday I was on my2.8m Cloud in high-20’s gusting to high 30’s. I rode from HR upwind from the hatchery and was the only kiter out there with three wingers. Chest-high to occasionally head-high swell that was steep and tight. The water was warm, my music was rocking, and it was glorious. Probably the best kiting day I’ve ever had.

The T1 is mostly great and amazing. It carves like a dream and you can cut back, slice, and pivot on a dime. I had some rides where I was heading down a steep wave and simultaneously caught a gust and the foil handled the speed great…except that I was very aware any little toe spasm or loss of balance would instantly send me flying. I had some carves where the foil was just locked in and kept going even as my body did not! The large surface area of the T1 reacts to and transmits a lot of the currents/eddies/bubbles in the water. It is mostly fine because the thing can literally slide on the surface without crashing, but it makes for a very sensitive ride in those conditions. I’m really curious if this is just my skill level or an inherent characteristic of a chonky monowing. I’ve never ridden another foil in those same conditions so I can’t directly compare. For some reason the nose-up posture of the T1 helps me jibe on my weak side so it was fun practicing that in even those conditions and I even tried a tiny bit of weak side swell riding.

Interestingly, despite being a side floater the swell easily brought the board back to me downwind and I didn’t have to do much body dragging. It is worse in light wind with no waves as it will definitely go sideways (but I’ve not had it go upwind) the way it floats. The monowing is a small but noticeable advantage in ease with maneuvering on land and in the car. It is also better with those epic crashes when the foil ends up in your lines as it is much easier to sort out than having a front wing and stab.

The T1 is plenty stable to just cruise around in light wind and I do that often, but if all I wanted to do was mow the lawn I’d probably use a more stable foil. And when I go to practice skills like foot switches I’m definitely taking my larger foil!

Anyway, for me the T1 continues to be awesome fun in the conditions I like to ride.
I haven't ridden since Baja but heading out to Hood this weekend. See you on the water!

Nak
Frequent Poster
Posts: 424
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2005 4:59 am
Kiting since: 2004
Weight: 182
Local Beach: Stevenson, WA; Rooster Rock, OR; Sauvie Island, OR; Kailua HI sort of...; Baja, MX; Ackerman Island, OR (I'm the only local kiter here...)
Favorite Beaches: Stevenson, WA; Kailua, HI; Baja; Isla de Coche; Rhodes, GR.
Style: Foil
Gear: Lift, Slingshot, Naish, Kanaha Shapes, Moses
Brand Affiliation: Lift
Location: Camas, Washington
Has thanked: 134 times
Been thanked: 118 times

Re: Triton Foils releases the first accessible monowing: Triton T1

Postby Nak » Sat Jul 15, 2023 7:46 pm

IWantToFly wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 1:58 am
Random thoughts as I’ve put more time on my T1.
Are you going to ride the T1 in the Blowout tomorrow?

IWantToFly
Frequent Poster
Posts: 368
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:43 pm
Kiting since: 2019
Weight: 77kg
Local Beach: Jones Beach, Sauvie Island, Floras Lake, the Gorge, OR coast, La Ventana
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana, the Gorge
Style: I wish
Gear: Groove Skate Pro 110cm
Kanaha Shapes 42” (106cm)
Triton T1 Monowing
Lift Classic 170
Litewave Wing 155, Kick-S 139
OR Mako 140
Duotone Whip 5’0”
Naish Pivot 6, 8, 10
Flysufer Soul 6m, 12m
Flysurfer Peak5 5m, Peak4 8m
Cloud 2.8, 3.7, 4.8, 6.2, 8
Pansh 7/11
Has thanked: 72 times
Been thanked: 115 times

Re: Triton Foils releases the first accessible monowing: Triton T1

Postby IWantToFly » Sun Jul 16, 2023 8:53 am

Nak wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2023 7:46 pm
IWantToFly wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 1:58 am
Random thoughts as I’ve put more time on my T1.
Are you going to ride the T1 in the Blowout tomorrow?
I have to work. 👎😥

IWantToFly
Frequent Poster
Posts: 368
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:43 pm
Kiting since: 2019
Weight: 77kg
Local Beach: Jones Beach, Sauvie Island, Floras Lake, the Gorge, OR coast, La Ventana
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana, the Gorge
Style: I wish
Gear: Groove Skate Pro 110cm
Kanaha Shapes 42” (106cm)
Triton T1 Monowing
Lift Classic 170
Litewave Wing 155, Kick-S 139
OR Mako 140
Duotone Whip 5’0”
Naish Pivot 6, 8, 10
Flysufer Soul 6m, 12m
Flysurfer Peak5 5m, Peak4 8m
Cloud 2.8, 3.7, 4.8, 6.2, 8
Pansh 7/11
Has thanked: 72 times
Been thanked: 115 times

Re: Triton Foils releases the first accessible monowing: Triton T1

Postby IWantToFly » Sun Jul 16, 2023 8:54 am

taiguy wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2023 2:54 am
IWantToFly wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 1:58 am
Random thoughts as I’ve put more time on my T1.

I got my T1 last fall and didn’t have much chance to use it until a few days in Baja where I used it with the Triton mast and my Project Cedrus mast. Now I’ve been back in Oregon and using it in the Gorge swell. I’d call myself aggressively intermediate as I’m usually trying to really carve hard and play in swell. I’ll typically take the smallest kite I can waterstart, ride upwind, and surf downwind. I’ve never been a surfer but I try sharp bottom turns and really try to cut back in the waves. I cannot do foot switches and I’m not even trying on the T1 - I have a Lift 170 for that practice. I ride the T1 on a 106cm Kanaha Shapes board with a Project Cedrus 90+2cm mast.

Last Monday I was on my2.8m Cloud in high-20’s gusting to high 30’s. I rode from HR upwind from the hatchery and was the only kiter out there with three wingers. Chest-high to occasionally head-high swell that was steep and tight. The water was warm, my music was rocking, and it was glorious. Probably the best kiting day I’ve ever had.

The T1 is mostly great and amazing. It carves like a dream and you can cut back, slice, and pivot on a dime. I had some rides where I was heading down a steep wave and simultaneously caught a gust and the foil handled the speed great…except that I was very aware any little toe spasm or loss of balance would instantly send me flying. I had some carves where the foil was just locked in and kept going even as my body did not! The large surface area of the T1 reacts to and transmits a lot of the currents/eddies/bubbles in the water. It is mostly fine because the thing can literally slide on the surface without crashing, but it makes for a very sensitive ride in those conditions. I’m really curious if this is just my skill level or an inherent characteristic of a chonky monowing. I’ve never ridden another foil in those same conditions so I can’t directly compare. For some reason the nose-up posture of the T1 helps me jibe on my weak side so it was fun practicing that in even those conditions and I even tried a tiny bit of weak side swell riding.

Interestingly, despite being a side floater the swell easily brought the board back to me downwind and I didn’t have to do much body dragging. It is worse in light wind with no waves as it will definitely go sideways (but I’ve not had it go upwind) the way it floats. The monowing is a small but noticeable advantage in ease with maneuvering on land and in the car. It is also better with those epic crashes when the foil ends up in your lines as it is much easier to sort out than having a front wing and stab.

The T1 is plenty stable to just cruise around in light wind and I do that often, but if all I wanted to do was mow the lawn I’d probably use a more stable foil. And when I go to practice skills like foot switches I’m definitely taking my larger foil!

Anyway, for me the T1 continues to be awesome fun in the conditions I like to ride.
I haven't ridden since Baja but heading out to Hood this weekend. See you on the water!
If you mean the 22/23 I’ll definitely be around a bunch.

Nak
Frequent Poster
Posts: 424
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2005 4:59 am
Kiting since: 2004
Weight: 182
Local Beach: Stevenson, WA; Rooster Rock, OR; Sauvie Island, OR; Kailua HI sort of...; Baja, MX; Ackerman Island, OR (I'm the only local kiter here...)
Favorite Beaches: Stevenson, WA; Kailua, HI; Baja; Isla de Coche; Rhodes, GR.
Style: Foil
Gear: Lift, Slingshot, Naish, Kanaha Shapes, Moses
Brand Affiliation: Lift
Location: Camas, Washington
Has thanked: 134 times
Been thanked: 118 times

Re: Triton Foils releases the first accessible monowing: Triton T1

Postby Nak » Mon Jul 17, 2023 6:02 am

IWantToFly wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 8:53 am
I have to work. 👎😥
Bummer, it was a great day!!! We missed you out there. :(

merl
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 756
Joined: Tue May 15, 2007 8:43 pm
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: HF
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Sweden
Has thanked: 107 times
Been thanked: 111 times

Re: Triton Foils releases the first accessible monowing: Triton T1

Postby merl » Thu Sep 07, 2023 8:12 am

Just bought a second hand T1. Need a mast and plate. Any tips for inexpensive ones in EU? Axis looks like high quality and not so expensive. Are indiana masts compatible? Seen some inexpensive ones of those too...

mati
Frequent Poster
Posts: 359
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:45 pm
Kiting since: 2010
Weight: 75
Favorite Beaches: Woodman Point
Style: Big air/Wakestyle/Foil
Gear: -
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 92 times
Been thanked: 89 times

Re: Triton Foils releases the first accessible monowing: Triton T1

Postby mati » Thu Sep 07, 2023 10:02 am

merl wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2023 8:12 am
Just bought a second hand T1. Need a mast and plate. Any tips for inexpensive ones in EU? Axis looks like high quality and not so expensive. Are indiana masts compatible? Seen some inexpensive ones of those too...
Slingshot Hoverglide?

merl
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 756
Joined: Tue May 15, 2007 8:43 pm
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: HF
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Sweden
Has thanked: 107 times
Been thanked: 111 times

Re: Triton Foils releases the first accessible monowing: Triton T1

Postby merl » Thu Sep 07, 2023 2:23 pm

mati wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2023 10:02 am
merl wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2023 8:12 am
Just bought a second hand T1. Need a mast and plate. Any tips for inexpensive ones in EU? Axis looks like high quality and not so expensive. Are indiana masts compatible? Seen some inexpensive ones of those too...
Slingshot Hoverglide?
Cheers. Taking a quick look at prices locally and across EU stores I know, I can get a slingshot HG for EUR230, an Axis 16mm for EUR210 locally, and a Fanatic Alu 3.0 for EUR220. Fanatic looks like it would fit but not checked the spacing. Axis looks like the best bet here.


Return to “Hydrofoil”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: taiguy and 27 guests