Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 155 lbs (70 kg)
Gear: Kites: Flysurfer 10m Soul V2, 12m Sonic 4, Peak 5s, 5.5m Hybrid
Foil: Slingshot HopeCraft w/ Axis Spitfire 840
TTs: 134 Shinn Monk Chromatic, 154 CrazyFly Slicer
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Triton Foils releases the first accessible monowing: Triton T1

Postby martrench » Sun Dec 11, 2022 11:03 pm

Got in several hours of riding the T1 this past weekend - really enjoying this setup :thumb:

Used 4m and 6m Peaks...
Attachments
Cocos_Island_T1_ready_to_go.jpg
These users thanked the author martrench for the post:
Oldman_Dave (Mon Dec 12, 2022 9:47 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Nak
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Weight: 182
Local Beach: Stevenson, WA; Rooster Rock, OR; Sauvie Island, OR; Kailua HI sort of...; Baja, MX; Ackerman Island, OR (I'm the only local kiter here...)
Favorite Beaches: Stevenson, WA; Kailua, HI; Baja; Isla de Coche; Rhodes, GR.
Style: Foil
Gear: Lift, Slingshot, Naish, Kanaha Shapes, Moses
Brand Affiliation: Lift

Postby Nak » Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:22 am

martrench wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:51 pm
I just downsized my board from the 4' 6" (137 cm) Slingshot Dwarfcraft to the new 103 cm Hope Craft.

Started with my mast position all the way towards rear at first and have slowly moved it forward to get the right balance.
I also have the Hopecraft, where do you have your rear foot? I like to ride with my rear foot against the rear kick tail. I'm wondering if that will work with this set up. Also, does the Triton mast have any rearward rake, or is it pretty straight. It looks straight, but pictures can be decieving. Thanks!

noahsw
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Long Beach
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana, Belmont Shore
Style: Freeride foil
Gear: Flysurfer Sonics on Taaroa race board and Slingshot Ghosts on the Triton T1 monowing

Postby noahsw » Mon Dec 12, 2022 5:32 am

Just got back from riding the full T1 setup in La Ventana for a week (w/ Slingshot Ghost v2). I love this thing! I had been looking for a high wind foil setup and this is it.

Note: I'm 75kg and have been foiling 7 years.

Things I love:
1. Unparalleled agility. Nothing better than tight turns on the face of swell. Nailed my first 360s. At one point I swapped foils on the water with my buddies (F-One and a Moses) and I couldn't wait to get my T1 back.
2. As others have said, the speed range on foil is remarkable. In powered conditions, I can pop up on my foil with a single down stroke, even though I've got barely any horizontal speed. And then I can ride it as fast as I'd want to.
2. The board is super comfy on my feet and light as a feather. It's a thing of beauty.
3. The mast cover pocket is brilliant. I keep the allen key in there so it's always handy.
4. The Triton team is super responsive. And I love supporting the upstart innovators.

Things I hope they can improve:
1. I'd love a carbon mast. The aluminum mast is by far the heaviest component. Coming from full carbon foils for the last several years, it does feel like a step backwards.
2. I can't get the mast to slide out the back of the board. Triton suggested I try filing down the tracks but it didn't help much (and I'm afraid to go too deep). It's harder than just taking the bolts off, which is a bummer.
3. I hear an occasional creak in the mast plate. It's subtle and doesn't happen very often, but it's a bit of an annoyance. The connection is solid so I'm not worried about anything serious.

If you're on the fence, go for it!
These users thanked the author noahsw for the post:
TritonFoils (Mon Dec 12, 2022 3:26 pm)

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Mon Dec 12, 2022 8:45 am

noahsw wrote:
Mon Dec 12, 2022 5:32 am
Just got back from riding the full T1 setup in La Ventana for a week (w/ Slingshot Ghost v2). I love this thing! I had been looking for a high wind foil setup and this is it.

Note: I'm 75kg and have been foiling 7 years.

Things I love:
1. Unparalleled agility. Nothing better than tight turns on the face of swell. Nailed my first 360s. At one point I swapped foils on the water with my buddies (F-One and a Moses) and I couldn't wait to get my T1 back.
2. As others have said, the speed range on foil is remarkable. In powered conditions, I can pop up on my foil with a single down stroke, even though I've got barely any horizontal speed. And then I can ride it as fast as I'd want to.
2. The board is super comfy on my feet and light as a feather. It's a thing of beauty.
3. The mast cover pocket is brilliant. I keep the allen key in there so it's always handy.
4. The Triton team is super responsive. And I love supporting the upstart innovators.

Things I hope they can improve:
1. I'd love a carbon mast. The aluminum mast is by far the heaviest component. Coming from full carbon foils for the last several years, it does feel like a step backwards.
2. I can't get the mast to slide out the back of the board. Triton suggested I try filing down the tracks but it didn't help much (and I'm afraid to go too deep). It's harder than just taking the bolts off, which is a bummer.
3. I hear an occasional creak in the mast plate. It's subtle and doesn't happen very often, but it's a bit of an annoyance. The connection is solid so I'm not worried about anything serious.

If you're on the fence, go for it!
I've had problems with nuts sliding in mast tracks.
In one case the track was narrower in the centre. It was a lightweight track that might have been fitted without a blank inserted to avoid it being compressed in the centre if they used expanding foam adhesive.
Others have seemed to be made of plastic that was softer than ideal and the sharp edges of the nut would dig into the track.
I abraded the edges of brass nuts to make them slide better. This is an old brass nut that I have smoothed the edges off to show what I mean.
(the nut would need to be polished up a bit before using)
8mnutbrass.jpg

TritonFoils
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2021
Weight: 0
Local Beach: Ontario, Canada
Style: Freestyle Foil & Foil Surf
Gear: T1 Monowing by Triton Foils
Brand Affiliation: Triton Foil - www.tritonfoils.com

Postby TritonFoils » Mon Dec 12, 2022 3:26 pm

Nak wrote:
Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:22 am
martrench wrote:
I just downsized my board from the 4' 6" (137 cm) Slingshot Dwarfcraft to the new 103 cm Hope Craft.

Started with my mast position all the way towards rear at first and have slowly moved it forward to get the right balance.
I also have the Hopecraft, where do you have your rear foot? I like to ride with my rear foot against the rear kick tail. I'm wondering if that will work with this set up. Also, does the Triton mast have any rearward rake, or is it pretty straight. It looks straight, but pictures can be decieving. Thanks!
Your rear foot is going to have to be farther forward - basically it will centre over the leading edge of the mast re: a visualization.

The mast is at right angles to the board and not raked.

Hope this helps!

Rudy, Co-Founder, Triton Foils

Nak
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Stevenson, WA; Rooster Rock, OR; Sauvie Island, OR; Kailua HI sort of...; Baja, MX; Ackerman Island, OR (I'm the only local kiter here...)

Postby Nak » Mon Dec 12, 2022 8:47 pm

TritonFoils wrote:
Mon Dec 12, 2022 3:26 pm
Your rear foot is going to have to be farther forward - basically it will centre over the leading edge of the mast re: a visualization.

The mast is at right angles to the board and not raked.

Hope this helps!

Rudy, Co-Founder, Triton Foils
Thanks for the quick reply Rudy. So a Moses 101 mast is raked and should put my rear foot closer to the kick tail? Or does the adapter move the wing on the mast at all? Also, do you have any plans to make an adapter for the Slingshot Phantasm? That mast is also raked and in current production--the Moses 101 of course is no longer produced.

Nak
Frequent Poster

Postby Nak » Mon Dec 12, 2022 8:54 pm

TritonFoils wrote:
Mon Dec 12, 2022 3:32 pm
We currently have a promotion on where we will include a free carbon adapter for your Moses mast to use with your T1 monowing.
I couldn't find this promotion on your website? Also, could you please list the dimensions & weight of the wing for travel considerations? (How big of a suitcase is needed to accommodate the wing.) Thanks!

IWantToFly
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Weight: 77kg
Local Beach: Jones Beach, Sauvie Island, Floras Lake, the Gorge, OR coast, La Ventana
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana, the Gorge
Style: I wish
Gear: Groove Skate Pro 110cm
Kanaha Shapes 42” (106cm)
Triton T1 Monowing
Lift Classic 170
Litewave Wing 155, Kick-S 139
OR Mako 140
Duotone Whip 5’0”
Naish Pivot 6, 8, 10
Flysufer Soul 6m, 12m
Flysurfer Peak5 5m, Peak4 8m
Cloud 2.8, 3.7, 4.8, 6.2, 8
Pansh 7/11

Postby IWantToFly » Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:06 pm

Nak wrote:
Mon Dec 12, 2022 8:54 pm
TritonFoils wrote:
Mon Dec 12, 2022 3:32 pm
We currently have a promotion on where we will include a free carbon adapter for your Moses mast to use with your T1 monowing.
I couldn't find this promotion on your website? Also, could you please list the dimensions & weight of the wing for travel considerations? (How big of a suitcase is needed to accommodate the wing.) Thanks!
NAK, 18.5” x 23.5” or 47 cm x 60cm. Mine weighs 1429g on the kitchen scale. Obviously a few extra mm and g for the protective sleeve.
These users thanked the author IWantToFly for the post:
Nak (Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:37 pm)

Nak
Frequent Poster

Postby Nak » Mon Dec 12, 2022 11:01 pm

IWantToFly wrote:
Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:06 pm
NAK, 18.5” x 23.5” or 47 cm x 60cm. Mine weighs 1429g on the kitchen scale. Obviously a few extra mm and g for the protective sleeve.
Ouch! 18.5" wide is going to limit luggage selection. My current hockey bag "might" fit that... It's 18" wide. But I'd be worried that the widest point of the bag being the wing might spell doom for the wing after the baggage handlers got a hold of it. :o Maybe this bag? (Mine is the size down from this, great bag.) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B092SZNFGG/ref=emc_b_5_t Anyone have any other luggage solutions for the T1 wing?

martrench
Medium Poster
Weight: 155 lbs (70 kg)
Gear: Kites: Flysurfer 10m Soul V2, 12m Sonic 4, Peak 5s, 5.5m Hybrid
Foil: Slingshot HopeCraft w/ Axis Spitfire 840
TTs: 134 Shinn Monk Chromatic, 154 CrazyFly Slicer

Postby martrench » Mon Dec 12, 2022 11:17 pm

With the Hopecraft and current mast position, my rear foot is forward of the rear kick tail (above the leading edge of mast) . And no rake that I can see - seems straight.
Nak wrote:
Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:22 am
martrench wrote:

These users thanked the author martrench for the post:
Nak (Mon Dec 12, 2022 11:23 pm)

Return to “Hydrofoil”